Popular Tags: avatar [+] [View All]
Tom Lynch
United States
Brooklawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am about .46 away from finally getting my avatar! It only took me 17 months to do it (due entirely to my own laziness). Here is my problem though. After I buy it, how the heck does one go about getting an avatar image? Are there any particular sites anyone can recommend or do I have to make it myself? Thanks in advance for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're feeling lazy, just Google for "free avatars" and download one you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom,
Congrats on almost getting your avatar. I forget how I found mine exactly, I think it may just have been a lot of Google Image searching. One website I know that you could try is http://www.avatarity.com/ if you haven't decided quite what you want and just want to browse a bit. If you have a particular boardgame image in mind but don't know how to shrink it down to fit the pixel limits (60 x 60 I think, but don't quote me on that) then you could post here asking for someone's assistance in that, which I've seen others do before with good success. Best of luck getting there, deciding what image you want, and making it happen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get an idea of what you want, there are a lot of photoshop wizards on the net that could help you. I'm not one of them but I've been known to do bad MS paint hackjobs from time to time.

Edit: I just got a good laugh out of your tipjar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I last changed my avatar it shrunk it to fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always just use a picture of your face like I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about setting up and taking some pictures of game elements, or take something game related, throw it in Photoshop/GIMP/whatever and modify it to make it more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Tom! My best advice for an avatar is, think of a subject and then google search it to find the picture you like best. If you aren't familiar with ways to rescale or animate your pics, feel free to post on here. There are lots of helpful geeks who will give you a hand. I went through 3 or 4 Captain America pictures on here before I settled on the Capcom Marvel Super Heroes version.

Just keep trying new ones until you find one that "fits" you. Good luck, and have fun with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lynch
United States
Brooklawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody for all of your help and especially the tips! Check out my new Avatar! Its not fancy, but it will do for now. Now I am only 47.62 from a GeekBadge (just kidding). Thanks again.

tomlynch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah, good deal.
It's taken me 2 years, but I'm almost there too. My problem was I got close, then I discovered auctions. So I blew all I'd ear4ned. But I'm close now too. I should make it soon.

edit: Thanks to Sinister Dexter for the 1 and a fraction I needed to become avatared!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.