Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 4-5 games tonight and towards the end of the last game, I noticed the dice were starting to bleed ink/ink was rubbing off. Mostly the red, green and yellow sides.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
No, but I know what I'd probably do if that started happening to me. I'd grab some sort of clear acrylic paint, perhaps clear nail polish would be the easiest to find, and give a coat to the painted area at least if not each entire die.

Make sure to test it on both a plain piece of wood and on a small corner of one of the dice first in case it discolors for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, my dice are rubbing off too. Just 3 games in, and the lore symbols are losing the shiny purple-ness I was so impressed with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cole
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too.

Just two games in and I have 'dice bleed'. I fully intend to varnish the dice when I get home later to prevent continued bleed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall some folks in Europe who I think got copies at Essen saying their dice had the colors rub off as well. Very unfortunate as the dice look very nice and yet they're rubbing off very quickly. Kind of odd as the Memoir dice didn't have this problem.

I would imagine the same sort of matte sealer used on gaming miniatures would work on dice. You might ask at your local hobby shop for a recommendation rather than take a chance on something that would be to thick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pollock
United States
Cedarburg
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to my local hobby shop and was recommended a small vial of "flat clear acryl" paint. I was leaning towards spray paint, but the guy there talked me out of it. I have no experience with hobby painting projects. Does anyone have any comments on brush painting dice with this type of material?

Oh, and I had the board warping issue and the severely bent cavalry. The board warping went away completely by just leaving the board unfolded overnight. The cavalry was fixed in under 15 minutes with the hot water/ice water trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoichi wrote:
I went to my local hobby shop and was recommended a small vial of "flat clear acryl" paint. I was leaning towards spray paint, but the guy there talked me out of it. I have no experience with hobby painting projects. Does anyone have any comments on brush painting dice with this type of material?

Ok, now I'm curious. What did he say to you to talk you out of the spray? I was all ready to use the same spray I use to seal my ironclad miniatures so I am curious as to why your hobby store recommended against it?

Quote:

Oh, and I had the board warping issue and the severely bent cavalry. The board warping went away completely by just leaving the board unfolded overnight. The cavalry was fixed in under 15 minutes with the hot water/ice water trick.

I was wondering if I was going to have any board warping problems like a few others have had, but mine is perfectly flat.

I had a ton of bent figures though and I mean a ton. Not just the cavalry but foot soldiers, goblins and dwarves. Must have had to fix 40 of them. However the water treatment took care of it without to much difficulty. I simply sorted out the ones that needed fixing, had my hot and cold water right there and it was finished fairly quickly all things considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying a very light coat of spray paint, since I already had a can handy from my first board game quasi-screw-up. (Would've probably been less of a screw-up if I had used less coats, and I wasn't spray painting cardboard! Luckily, bless Customer Service.) Since this is wood, I'm assuming it'll be okay, and I'm only going to give a layer or two.

One of the Bonus Strikes on the die already has a small section that's completely worn off, after two games!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yeah, I had about 40 bent minis too, of course, only a few REALLY bent ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harbin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just sprayed mine with Matte Sealer Spray Quick Dry Overcoat from The Armoury, used for miniatures.It drys well and did not hurt the finish at all.Can not even tell they were sprayed.I have not had a chance to use the dice yet, as I am still reading and fixing bent minis.I hope this keeps them from bleeding.Will post with results as soon as I can play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric from DoW posted on their boards that they should have an announcement about the dice on Monday or Tuesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll wait and see what they say about the dice. The bent figures are easy to fix but the dice is a bit different story. The paint on dice shouldn't be coming off after just a couple of games. My Memoir dice have gotten a lot of use over time and they're still perfect so DoW got some bum dice from their supplier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a plot! That company that made those great replacement dice for Command and Colors: Ancients bribed Days of Wonder so there'd be call for them to do a BattleLore set too!

(Kidding aside, Richard Borg's 'Command & Colors' series is great, and something like this doesn't affect my enthusiasm for it at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to throw another data point into the mix, my dice aren't showing any issues after three games.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. It's funny though that Command & Colors: Ancients and now Battlelore both have had dice issues, although the issues are completely unrelated.

Matt Boehland wrote:

(Kidding aside, Richard Borg's 'Command & Colors' series is great, and something like this doesn't affect my enthusiasm for it at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pollock
United States
Cedarburg
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

Ok, now I'm curious. What did he say to you to talk you out of the spray? I was all ready to use the same spray I use to seal my ironclad miniatures so I am curious as to why your hobby store recommended against it?

The employee that talked me out of the spray was not the store owner (who I trust). He seemed to think it would be hard to keep the dice in one place while spraying. But, I decided to go back later yesterday and talk to the owner. He strongly suggested switching to spray, so I now have a can of Testors spray labelled "Flat Lacquer Overcoat, Dull Cote."

We'll have to see what DOW has in store for the dice. I like the looks of the current dice (as opposed to stickers, for example). If the spray works, I'm sure I'll stay with them.

I just played a few games of Battlelore with a friend who also just purchased the game. I commented that his dice showed some wear already, and he said that he hadn't even rolled them yet! I'm glad to hear that some dice have no problems at all. Hopefully there's just a bad batch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Purple Lore faces are fading out, but not the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:
Eric from DoW posted on their boards that they should have an announcement about the dice on Monday or Tuesday.

For anyone interested in reading the companion to this thread on DoW's forums, visit:
http://www.daysofwonder.com/index.php?t=msg&th=9136

As mentioned above, it includes posts from Eric H. of Days of Wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harbin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So far,great results on the spray.Even let my sticky-finger 3 year old roll for me.No problems so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoW's responded to the issue in the BattleLore Chronices blog:

BattleLore Chronices wrote:
The production dice are wearing out faster than acceptable. While we discovered this issue too late to fix it in the current batch of games, we will be offering anyone with a defective set a free replacement. New, more durable, screen-printed dice are being manufactured as of this writing. As soon as they are ready, we will be airshipping them to our warehouses for delivery to you, at our cost.
All that will be required of you will be registering on our web site, using the web card number that comes on the back of every game’s Adventures Booklet. We will be setting up a special page, dedicated to this issue, as soon as these replacement dice become available.

Once again, I have to tip my hat to DoW. Couldn't be better follow-up on all of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. These guys are really willing to go the extra mile for my business.
Far be it for me to deny them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very impressive! Now, if they'd just take a look at the custom dice for Descent, they'd have a sense of what a really nice custom die looks like

In any case: nice support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.