Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got Battlelore, and I'm definatley feeling it was deserving of my hype-attention. We played the first scenario because we've never played any Borg titles before, and once we were comfy with the rules we added the lore cards. For our third game of the evening, we took made a custom war council. To top it off, we wanted to add critters; I took the spider and my opponent took the hill giant.

And we came to a pause. There are examples in the scenario guide that show the spider taking 1 level of war council to deploy. The spider is shown on the map at seemingly random starting areas. Try as I might, I could not find any rules about adding a creature via war council to a scenario in the Player's Guide.

I found rules governing creature lairs (placed on an emtpy hex in the 3rd or 4th row from you), but none about creatures' cost or starting placement.

I was wondering this before the game came out, and now that I've got it in front of me I still don't see it. Do all creatures take 1 level to deploy, or does the giant take 2 because he's blue-bannered? And where do they start? Like a lair on the 3rd or 4th row? Can the Giant start in his rock pile, or does the pile have to go on an 'empty' square?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have to experiment here. You could try simply ruling the Hill Giant costs 1 War Council Level and deploying him on his rock pile anywhere within 3 spaces of the board edge you are setting up on.

I expect DOW will be putting Hill Giant scenarios on their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
This is not ‘Official’…

I would cost the Hill Giant & Earth Elemental at 2 (as they are both BLUE), the Giant Spider we know is 1 from the Adventures Book (it is GREEN). Perhaps 3 for a RED Creature…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Pinguet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a monster should be one slot, whatever the level.
3 Levels cost (1/2 the council) would be way to high for a single unit.
Monsters are powerful but not "game-breaking"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the thing is, we don't know how powerful the Red creatures may be. Maybe they will be worth 3 levels in council...I think the 2 blue creatures we have may be worth 2 levels right now (depending GREATLY on the scenario you are playing...) so if a red creature is that much better, than it could be worth 3 levels and it is up to you, your opponent and the scenario what to do about it. Another reason why this game has tons and tons of potential/options/variations etc.
So far so good DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saying the giant should be two levels of Council is like saying he is as better than a spider as a spider is better than a foot unit. I don't think it is that big of a difference. A giant is better than a spider in the same way a blue foot unit is better than a green foot unit.

So my guess, pending a real answer still not available, is in two parts. If you play a scenario with a spider in it with the full war council rules and don't want the spider, you get a green foot unit instead. And therefore if you wanted a giant it would replace a blue unit on the field. The terrain that comes with the giant would be placed with the same rules as level-3 council member buildings. Paying the council level upgrades a green, blue, or red foot unit in to a green, blue, or red monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't mean to spam this link since it is posted to other threads on the topic, but just in case somebody is subscribed to this one:

http://www.daysofwonder.com/index.php?t=msg&th=9449&start=0

Straight from Borg: Giant, Elemental, and Spider all cost just one war council token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.