Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say:

"The losing side of a battle must lose one counter as a casualty. The counter must belong to the main force if possible."

How is it possible for there to be no main force? The only way I can think of is if a city is attacked and it is only defended by a garrison (inherent defense), and the attacker wins the battle. Is there any case where an Allied unit gets removed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think the main put down hopalites but trireme was done 1 st which only ally had put down... hence allies lose counter and main cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There cannot be a unit on an Allied space without a unit on the Main space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes but usually theres 2 combat rounds ... if hops are 1st say , but the main only put down triremes , the losses will come from allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh. I don't follow you. If you are having a Hoplites battle, then the losing side can only lose a Hoplites unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what Langy is trying to say is that where a battle is fought in two parts - say naval then land - the main force may not have one of the type of unit currently fighting, in which case only allied units are present for that part of the battle.

Thus, if during the naval part of the battle a casualty is taken and the main force consists of nothing but hoplites then the allied force loses a trireme counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There cannot be an Allied Trireme without a Main Trireme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the main defender places a hoplite but no trieme then the ally could still place a trieme.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
If the main defender places a hoplite but no trieme then the ally could still place a trieme.

Ok, I get that. So then if there are units of 2 players in the Allies box, does the Main Defender choose which unit goes, assuming they have the same value?

And just to make sure: You only lose counters of the type based on the combat round, right? For example:

Battle: Hoplites --> Triremes (defender gets 1 intrinsic Hoplites)

Main Attacker places 1 Hoplite. Main Defender places 1 Trireme.

Say Attacker wins Hoplite battle. Defender's Trireme is NOT removed?

Defender wins Trireme battle automatically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The rule is there to make it clear that the main attacker/defender suffers any casualties. It is possible for there to be no main in one of the two unit types, e.g. the main defender may have a trireme at a location but no hoplites, so any allied hoplites would be in the Allied column. Any hoplite losses would be suffered by the allied player in this case.

Just in cae there is any misunderstanding - in hoplite combat only one hoplite unit will become a casualty, in trireme combat only one trireme will become a casualty. It is not possible for a player to lose a hoplite as a result of losing a trireme combat, and vice versa.

Hope that is clear.

Martin Wallace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Aguila
Chile
Puerto Montt
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dipdragon wrote:
What happens when there are 2 Allied Attackers with equla units and one has to lose a unit is anyone's guess. My resolution would be to toss a coin, roll a die or something equally random.

My guess is that the player who is the main attacker (units or not) decides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.