Popular Tags: [View All]
K F
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Ok
I have had this game for about 2 years and never got around to learning it
Now Ive started a gaming group this is becoming vital

We have mainly been playing settlers variants, risk (yuck) pirate cove etc.
Just got power grid, Tigris & Euphrates and a few others

But Puerto Rico's multi page instructions is turing me off big time !

How can I learn this on my own ??

I really liked Board Games with Scott - Video Explorations podcasts about his games. Is there anything like a explanation vid about to get me started with Puerto Rico

Or am I just a lazy lost cause

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Overton
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't double checked, but I am pretty sure there is one in the
Puerto Rico file section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't like what they've done to the file but I recommend the Puerto Rico introduction in pdf format:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=11973

Otherwise the best thing probably is to set up a game for yourself to play to get a hang of the rules.

Puerto Rico's manual may seem like much at first but it's actually very user friendly with many useful examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K F
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hey thanks
I'm checking out that link right now

Must go to bed it's way after midnight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of crappy PDF is that? It doesn't allow Acrobat to show all the normal controls so you can scroll through the document. I understand that you might want to view it as a slideshow, but why is it FORCED?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to learn it from the rules anyway. Even if it is for the learning experiece of how to learn and teach new games. The more games you learn, the easier learn ones you don't know.

Puerto Rico rules have three elements that take a lot of verbosity to explain--the concepts are not hard, it just takes a lot of words to pin down all of the details:

- The turn sequence.
- Each of the 7 Roles.
- Each of the 25 or so different buildings.

Second thing, read the rules carefully before trying to teach the game. As already said, setting up a solitaire game and working through it can be helpful. Hopefully you can anticipate any questions your fellow players will have. Never try to teach a game you haven't learned already.

Third thing I always recommend is emphasize the first game is a learning game. Tell your friends of the first game, "Don't worry about learning strategy at first and concentrate on learning the rules. Make the first move looks pretty good to you." (To be honest, that first move may be the wrong move for that situation, but finding out the hard way is often the best way to learn that. But often, the first move that grabs is a reasonable choice.)

Last, do a post mortem--go over the rules again and see if you made any mistakes. It happens--don't worry about it. Next time you play it, point out where you made your error.

Mos timportant thing to remember is to have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine W
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you teach, explain how Shipping works first. The other roles aren't complicated, and the Privileges are listed on the individual boards. Players don't need to know anything about Buildings until they're ready to buy, and then they can just look at the buildings they can afford. This game is very easy to teach once you know how to play.

For your own practice, the Private Server here provides a nice interface and is quick and easy for beginners. You don't have to know much in order to start playing, it won't let you do things that aren't allowed. http://www.phial.com/puerto-rico/game.curl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
purplemayden wrote:
How can I learn this on my own ??

I always got the best results teaching this one by starting at the end and working backwards:

You need vp chips to win.

--You get vp chips by shipping barrels.

----You get barrels by having a farm and its corresponding factory, with employees on them.

------You get farms by settling, and factories by building, and employees by being mayor.

Everything else just helps you along this path.

As far as choosing roles, the rule of thumb is: everyone does the role you picked, but you do it BETTER.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.