Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came back from an extended stay in Baton Rouge to help out my family. They all think I'm pretty weird and worthless to begin with, but what really seems to throw them for a loop is the fact that, contrary to the Laws of God and Man...

...I DON'T HAVE A CELL PHONE!

And, to really make things twisted, I don't seem to want one!

I'm used to this by now. "What's your cell number?" "I don't have one." "You...you what!?!?" You can see peoples' minds desperately trying to parse the idea of not owning a cell phone.

I know I'm not the only one out there. But maybe there are others who suffer in silence. Maybe you have started to purposely avoid situations where you might be asked for a phone number. Maybe you've even, in a fit of desperation, pretended to own one just to avoid the stares and pointing fingers of others, others who don't understand and refuse to accept your alternate lifestyle.

I'm not bragging about not owning a cell phone. Nor am I mocking anyone who does. All this thread is for is to say, "Hey you, out there on your own, not having a cell phone, you're not alone."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll brag about not having a cell phone.

I rule. More money for games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A computer posting for Luddites...

Next we'll visit the AmishWorld website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh put it in your manifesto! Get a cell, get an iPod, and get with the machine! robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I must admit to having a cell phone, but for at least the first three years of ownership my wife and I didn't know the number for it. We'd get the same incomprehending stares from our friends. We'd explain that we got the phone strictly because I have a long (over an hour) commute to work and wanted one for the inevitable breakdowns and delays due to snow storms. But since we didn't want people calling us on the cell we never gave out the number - and thus never even knew it ourselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Ahh put it in your manifesto! Get a cell, get an iPod, and get with the machine! robot

Don't have or want one of those either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you're going to tell us you don't have a digital jockstrap either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
I suppose you're going to tell us you don't have a digital jockstrap either.

Now, let's not get crazy. I don't know how I ever did without it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
A cellphone? So that people can call me while I'm driving, or shopping, calling for immediate attention?

I barely use a real phone as it is, much less a cellphone. And I worked for a company that made billing software for cell phone providers for 5 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a cell phone for my sales job, so I did away with the land line completely. It was a redundant expense and with the corporate discount the cell about half what I used to spend on land line and long distance.

Since I am in the field much of the week I have my business voice mail roll to my cell phone too. That was good for quite awhile. Customers never call me on weekends.

Now I have a couple new young gung-ho managers. Friday I got a broadcast text message at 6:30 AM!!! FIFTEEN MINUTES BEFORE THE FREAKIN' ALARM WENT OFF saying we could wear business casual that day.

A while back my Branch Manager sent out a broadcast voice mail about sales rep stack rankings which rolled to my cell phone at 7:10 AM ON A SATURDAY.

I'm gonna have to start turning it off at bedtime except...

Quote:
Makes a handy alarm clock, too.

As a side bar I hear some sales reps use the Quick Alarm function to take 30 minute power naps in their cars after a big lunch on a nice day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate phones, in general.

I use them only as a last resort.

Sadly, my parents foised a cell on me years ago so I could have it in 'emergencies.' It rarely/never gets used. It's handy to keep track of people's phone numbers though, so I generally refer to it as my Personal Digital Phone Book That Happens To Be Able To Make Phone Calls.

I never give the number out to folks, nor is it ever turned on except to look up people's phone numbers.

Makes a handy alarm clock, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a land line. Through my work's group discount I pay less for a cell that I would for a land line. I see the benefit of cell phone after I spent 6 hours stranded on a mountaintop with a near compounded spiral fracture in the middle of the winter without one. I would have made it to the ER much sooner. Also, my kids can reach me wherever I am. As far as the technology is concerned I'm much rather see the occasional cell tower go up if they could take down all the eyesore telephone lines existing.

Speaking of Luddites, Benny (as you know him as Mr tube & vinyl audio, landfill diving and anti-MP3 freak that he is) just called me from his new cell phone yesterday. If he did it, you will soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
As far as the technology is concerned I'm much rather see the occasional cell tower go up if they could take down all the eyesore telephone lines existing.

EXACTLY!! Thank you!! I tried to make that point when we went through our "oh god we can't have a cell phone tower in our small town!?!" debate a few years ago. Then again, these are the same people who complained when the local gas station put a roof over it's pumps that it was "spoiling the colonial charm" of our town.

Yeah ... like the gas station itself didn't do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
My biggest problem with cell phones continues to be the crappy quality. You never get dropped calls on a land line, and it always sounds great. With cell phones you get static, dropped calls, and if you're on a digital network you'll hear those horrible digital robotic voices. Until all that gets cleared up I'll stick with my land line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I don't like phones. I feel like it takes away a lot of the personal contact between people in a concversation. Still, they're handy; it's good to be able to contact someone three states away without having to drive there, or write a letter. I also hate doing any sort of business on a phone, probably because I just don't want people to talk to me while I'm working.

I do have a cell phone, but honestly, sometimes I wonder why. The only person I call is my wife, and that's usually just to let her know when I'm on my way home. I can only think of a handful of times when it's been nice to have a cell phone (I've been stranded on the side of the interstate highway four times in my life, and those two times when I had a cell phone were MUCH more palatable than the times I didn't), but I get caught up in the techno-gadgetry and want something that can do a whole bunch of things that I'll never intiate. My current phone is also a music player, but I've only transferred one song onto it, because the stupid files have to be in WMA format, and (of course), all of my music is in MP3 format. I paid extra for the damn memory card, too....

You'd think that knowing all this would reign in that technolust, but yesterday I fiddled with someone's Blackberry and checked my email WHILE IN THE CAR. Of course, I'm thinking, "Where can I get one of these things??"

I think I'm a Luddite ex officio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
while I'm an "eluddite" as I just don't CARE for these and especially their "charges & fees" that accompany the 'abuse' for such! Oh well, the WORLD is filled with stupid & idiotic people who MUST have this type of crap, and if they can afford that, then GOOD for these FOOLS! and their departed 'monies' for it all huh?
"MONEY for nuthin but TALK which ain't CHEAP and the TUMOR's for FREE!"
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have the same problem with my family about the cell phone. They don't understand that I don't want one. It is not about the money. I don't want to be interupted at any moment of my day to stop to tell someone what I'm doing and why it is more important then talking to them.

I used to have a cell phone when I first left for college and it was like checking in all the time. My life was constantly being interupted and if I didn't answer the phone it would freak whoever called out because they would think I was on the side of the road dead when I could be just going to the bathroom.

So yes! You are not alone in this. I bet you drive a lot better not having a cell phone. You know, Stephen King wrote a book about the evils of the cell phone and our zombified society.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't want to be interupted at any moment of my day to stop to tell someone what I'm doing and why it is more important then talking to them.

And you shouldn't.

That was problem for me at first. I couldn't ignore an incoming call. The real problem is people expect you to drop whatever you are doing and answer at any moment of the day if they know you have a cell phone.

It finally dawned on me that I don't have to answer every call as it comes in. I should treat it as if it were an answering machine at home and check it and return calls at my convenience. So I leave it on vibrate most of the time. (I have an Uncle Mike's Crotch Holster(TM) for it.)

I've had a couple of friends get irritated that I don't pick up right away or even return a call until the next day. But they got over it.

On the other hand, I have no desire for a big screen HD TV at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a gameboy... that's my concession to avoiding human interaction. I don't mind the cellphone crew, but I wish they'd switch them off while at the gaming table. It's your turn you rude bastards, and if you're going to wander off you can at least bring me another beer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I am ashamed to admit that I do carry a cell phone. But I don't pay for it--I only carry it because my employer pays for it and expects me to carry it. So I carry it during the work day and whenever I'm away from the house otherwise (which isn't all that much).

What surprises people is that I expect them to call my home phone first (since that's the one that is available when I'm in the house). They just figure you surely keep both phones operational at all times and then they don't have to bother with two numbers. I make 'em call me on the land line.

I can say, though, that I saw my first iPod last week. Not up close or anything. But waiting in the doctor's office, a college girl was listening to some shiny contraption with little transistor-radio-like ear plugs. I guess it was an iPod.

And I still don't own a DVD player, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.