Popular Tags: [View All]
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I broke down and bought a PS/3. I needed an HD DVD player, and I decided to risk Blu-Ray. Assuming that Blu-Ray doesn't go the way of Betamax in fifteen minutes or so (hey, maybe it won't) then this was a cost effective way to get a cutting edge DVD player that can also play some games. As the subject implies, I'd like to try some PS/3 games, and this time, just on this console, I'm not going to buy every single one that shows up. So my question to the videogamers amongst you: Anybody played anything they liked on PS/3 yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recommend any games. I am just interested in the BluRay quality of the movies. Have you gotten any good ones yet? What kind of system do you have. I am interested in getting into the HD movie arena, and it sound like ps/3 is the most accessible by price at the moment.

I'm just worried about buying another betamax though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
You lucky ****! Anyway... the only game I've heard that's any good is Resistance, Fall of Man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie, how on Earth am I a lucky anything, when I did what I swore I would NEVER do again, which is to say, bought the thing on eBay for retail+? It isn't even coming with Talladega Nights, which, since I've already seen that at some hotel somewhere, is probably just as well. In any case the thing is in the mail and should get here next week some time.

You have supported what I suspect, though, that there is really only one decent game out for the system so far, of the things I can't already play on the 360.

Since it hasn't come yet, I can't say anything about the movies or quality of BluRay, etc. All I know is that I put pretty much every BluRay DVD in existence onto my NetFlix queue.

Oh yes, I forgot what sort of system I have: So far I don't have any HDMI cable, but when I get that, the PS/3 will talk to a bunch of other Sony components--a 42" plasma mounted on our family room wall, and whatever the cheapest Sony 5-speaker system is from 3 or 4 years ago that I found on clearance at a Wal-Mart in Tucson for around 150 bucks. So, clearly nobody's idea of a great system. Especially since I'm only ever using 2-channel sound because we have no decent way to do 5 speakers without hiring somebody to come do it, and every time I hire anybody to run cables or do any sort of A/V stuff, they disappoint me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Aldie says, Resistance is probably the only worthwhile game at the moment...so I've heard. And not just from Aldie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
If there were any other good games, I'd probably have one. The launch lineup was abysmal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
If there were any other good games, I'd probably have one. The launch lineup was abysmal.

Which makes it sad the people lined up for days, and paid Retail++ on eBay on a system that has a terrible line starting line up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talladega Nights is still just as lame a movie in Blu-ray as it was in not-Blu-ray, so no harm there, but it does look really, really crisp in Blu-ray over HDMI. Resistance, Fall of Man looks good, but so far nothing spectacular in 720P (my WEGA plasma doesn't support 1080p, so that sucks) that blows away any of the XBOX 360 games showing in 480P on my basement TV. So far, PS/3 is my least favorite of the new systems, with the following major exception: The wireless controller is extremely light and vastly preferable to the clunky massive 360 controller, and the non-rechargeable-and-too-heavy-Wiimote-with-or-without-attachments. The whole PSP GUI is just as annoying to me on the PS/3 as it was on the PSP.

Overall, it's a good damn thing I wanted to see some Blu-ray movies, or else I'd have no need for this system until the next Gran Turismo shows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you choose PS3/BluRay over Xbox360/HD-DVD?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because my Xbox 360 is firmly entrenched in my basement, and I wanted a new DVD player for my family room. I prefer the solitary unit to the add-on drive that Microsoft devised. Of course, if HD DVD should happen to win the format war, then I'll probably get the Xbox 720 or whatever is next, that will integrate the HD drive into the main unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, here's another thing I have now noticed about the PS3 running through HDMI: Some PS2 games look really damned sharp. I'm sure not all of them do, but Valkyrie Profile 2 looks fantastic! Now to see how the original PS game Tecmo's Deception looks on it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.