7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Game I.D help & general website question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: identify [+] [View All]
Oddly Enough
Canada
flag msg tools
my friend was reminiscing about his childhood when i brought up the fun i used to have, and still have while gaming. he sent me this reply with the description of a game that brought him much joy and i have no recollection of, perhaps some of you know it:

"there was a board game I used to have when I was a kid that was my absolute favorite. I spent an entire afternoon a couple of years back doing an extensive Google search to try to get some info on it and couldn't find a thing. I'm pretty sure it was from the mid-70's possibly very early 80's.

The board, if I remember correctly, was like count dracula's castle. And it was sort of a snakes and ladders concept where you had to ascend towards the end square to win the game with all sorts of booby traps (falling floor blocks, mummy tomb, monsters, etc) along the way. The main characters were little cardboard men that stood upright. I think they were all based on the classic universal monsters... wolfman, frankenstein, the mummy, etc. Im pretty sure there was even a swamp thing. But I don't thinkt hey were official or anything.

All I remember is that the illustrations ont he board and the pieces were really nice and elaborate and sometimes I'd just take the characters off the board to play with by themselves because they were so cool. It was by far my favorite board game as a kid.. the one that I'd force all my friends to play when they came over, regardless of whether they wanted to or not. It was that awesome game.

I really wish I knew what it was called. I remember happening upon this ridiculous database of nearly every board game ever invented online once, and I couldn't find it on there. There were lots of monster games, but not this one."

thanks to anybody who can figure this game out or to anybody who simply reads the post. I'd like to mail him a card with just the name of the game inside. Perhaps not the greatest christmas gift in the world, but i know it will mean a lot to him.

as for website questions, i'll leave that for another time. Back to studying i go. Happy holidays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nand
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
I wrote nanDECK and BGG1tool
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster Madness?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/11245

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oddly Enough
Canada
flag msg tools
It was, it is the game!!!!!

thanks a billion.

i had to let my buddy know right away cuz how else would i have known if it was correct. My super surprise didn't go as planned but it worked out well.

thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly Enough wrote:
I remember happening upon this ridiculous database of nearly every board game ever invented online once, and I couldn't find it on there.

Did he just call us ridiculous? Not so ridiculous now, are we!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oddly Enough
Canada
flag msg tools
we can't be certain he was talking about this database.

lets just say he was looking through the toys r us website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
yeah! and please inform your "friend" that NO-'stalgia' is GOOD-'stalgia'! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen, GROGnads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.