Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I played my first game of Antike and I won as Greece in the Western map.

The session started with a quick rundown of the rules. Howard and Tommy had played a couple of times before, but Paul and I were new. Howard was the Germanic tribes, Paul was the Romans, Tommy was the Phoenicians, and I was the Greeks. Tommy went first.
I started out by building a galley on my first turn which i later expanded to Northern Africa. The other players were more conservative and began building resources. Around the third turn, I got my first surprise as Tommy built 3 galleys - I hadn't realized you could buy multiples of things. The game proceeded pretty well.
The other three players were advancing in various ways - Howard was building temples, while Tommy and Paul were focused on expansion. Being in the middle, I couldn't expand much without interfering with my neighbors. I settled on gettin invetions, which I thought would improve my chances anyhow. On the rondell, I focused on moving from Know How, to Iron, to Gold and then paying 1 more to get back to Know How again. It worked pretty well for awhile. I scored 5 of the 9 inventors. I still only had 6 cities though while most of my opponents had 10 - 15. Howard had 3 temples and Tommy had two.
Tommy was definitely late in the inventions scoring, I don't think he ever scored a scholar. Late in the game it dawned on me that I had a lot of iron (I had missed that I could use any resource to move myself on the rondell). I armed myself with a bunch of galleys, collected some gold on the next turn, then paused on maneuver to take the first 7 Seas card. The other players quickly followed and soon everyone was hovering around 6. I was still leading with 7.
The rest decided to block me out of more inventions and that point and they quickly bought up the three I didn't have. My plan was to go for the last navigator to get to 8 and then build two more temples so I'd have 3 to get to 9 and win.
I dropped all the galleys and Paul must have seen what was ocming. This is were my non-aggressive strategy killed me. He was able to put galleys into play in cities he already owned and get to 14 seas. My galleys were forced to start in my six cities and then move. Since he had taken the last navigator, I had to change gears. Luckly I had 6 galley in Athena at that point so I quickly attacked one of Howard's temples and destroyed it to get a general. I also reinforced my lone temple and tried to make sure I'd have three cities left for my next turn.
As luck would have it, the others didn't see it coming and I was able to put down two more temples to get my first citizen and win with 9 personages.

Overall, I was really impressed with the game and have added it to my wishlist. from a strategic standpoint, I think I got lucky. The other players were busy exploiting my non-territorial ways and that allowed me to build more inventions than I should have (I wound up scoring 5 of the 8 possible points there). I think next time I play, I'll have to try a more balanced approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.