Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolas Robins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great game, and I can't wait for my next "first" game using some or all of the expansion components (once I hold it in my hands of course). In reading the expansion rules, I came across one timing item that may not be 100% explained.

Trade Stations - The rules say, on page 7, with respect to trade stations, that other than a few exceptions, they follow the same rules as a planet. The rules say that stations can be the target of things like local unrest and peaceful annexation. So it specifically states that it would be pointless (/EDIT) - In cases where the owner has a ship in the system (/ENDEDIT) - Quote "(Note, however, that using an ability such as Peaceful Annexation – which gives you control of a planet – on a Trade Station in which another player is the only player with ships in the system is pointless, since that player will immediately regain control of the station.)" I can see this happening in a game we play, and we're rules Nazi's. So, the question will be, does control of the planet shift to (/EDIT) Neutral. Then shift back again to the player controling the systme, exhausted? (/ENDEDIT) Or does the station never change ownership in the first place, and thus not exhaust? The timing of this is not 100% clear. Its not going to change the game, but in this case, its not 100% pointless, as stated, because if the station was not yet exhaused, it becomes so, and thus its resources can not be used until the next game round. Not sure how often that will happen as the trade stations appear to have refresh abilities, meaning the will likely get used during the status phase in many cases. But if not, this could take some resources/influence away from a player that round, and could actually prove NOT to be pointless.

Does this need to be addressed in an official capacity in the first FAQ? Or is this covered somehow and I'm just not getting it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin R. Krause
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh OK - very clever. I got your point. But are you really interested in an answer? Just make one thing clear: Who ever has ships in the system is owner of the trade station (after an activation/transfer sequence). Every other way of determining the trade station´s owner is overwritten by this rule. So in the case of peaceful annexation the card isn´t handed over and therefor isn´t exhausted.

By the way, this situation is very unlike to ever occur. Who wants to spent an action to exhaust a trade station, that can be use its refresh ability on the status phase anyway.

You know this answer, why bothering with this? Please remember planet cards are always received exhausted (mirco tech excluded), there is no rules, that says you have to exhaust a planet card, when returning it to neutral status.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Robins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that its unlikely as it seems like a fairly wasteful use of an action. However, if there is another planet in the same hex as a trade station, which is true of the systems that contain trade stations (at least the ones I've seen) its still possible it would happen - Isn't it. You're right, though, in stating that a planet/station is not exhausted by being made neutral, its "obtained" from the neutral state exhausted, or from another players control for that matter. So again, are you so sure that the simple act of having a ship in the system granting you ownership of the station happens before all others, in which case you never actually lose control of the station, even temporarily? Because if it converts to neutral, and then back to the owner, they should still recieve it exhausted, because it was neutral for a short time. But if it never becomes neutral, this question of mine is a moot point.

That's the timing I'm trying to clarify. Does it ever become neutral, or simply the person controlling space where a trade station exists, never actually loses control, even for an instant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Moerenhout
Belgium
Lede
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say, with "Peacuful Annexation" the Trade Station changes ownership (for a blimp moment)and thus changes hands and gets exhausted, before it is returned to the player who controls its system.(and gets it back exhausted)

I agree that it's probably a waste of an action most of the time, but there may be situations where you want to take away that 2/2 station for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.