Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why pick away with one question at a time when I can ask questions about all of the cards at once? I’ve already stated my opinion on some of these, but it’d be nice to get confirmation from the designers on a few.

Thor (Uru Hammer) : Can it be used twice in a combat round (for attack and defense, but not both) if you discard two Resource cards? I would say no, because I think it best to go with a consistent "only one use of a power during a combat round".

Magneto (Brotherhood of Evil Mutants) : Can ‘any other option’ be to Draw Additional Villain Cards’ as normal or is this ability saying you effectively get 2 of the 3 Scheming options? I'd think it's the latter.

Kingpin (Prologue) : Is this effectively giving you an extra ‘Henchman’ from your hand or is it usable on the Lead Villain when Kingpin is attempting a Master Plan? I'd guess the former.

Isn’t Viper clearest the hottest art in the game? Oh, I'm so immature...

Surprise Attack : How does this card fit into the timing? Clearly, the best time to use it would be right after powers are chosen, but that seems a bit harsh on the hero.

Enchantress (Love Spell) : Let’s say she uses it successfully on Thor. The Avengers player switches to a different ready hero next round, Captain America. Does her power still limit Captain America? I'd guess yes, choosing rule consistency over the sense of the plot.

Sentinels (Area Attack) : Will this ability affect heroes belonging to players not involved in the combat? I would guess not.

Dormammu (Infernal Dimension) : Surely this can only be used once per round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
Trump wrote:
Thor (Uru Hammer) : Can it be used twice in a combat round (for attack and defense, but not both) if you discard two Resource cards? I would say no, because I think it best to go with a consistent "only one use of a power during a combat round".

I think this has been answered by one of the designers, you can use it BOTH times, discarding a card for each time.

Quote:
Magneto (Brotherhood of Evil Mutants) : Can ‘any other option’ be to Draw Additional Villain Cards’ as normal or is this ability saying you effectively get 2 of the 3 Scheming options? I'd think it's the latter.

In German it sounds like you get "Draw additional cards" in addition to one of the two other options, so yes, I agree.

Quote:
Kingpin (Prologue) : Is this effectively giving you an extra ‘Henchman’ from your hand or is it usable on the Lead Villain when Kingpin is attempting a Master Plan? I'd guess the former.

Here I disagree. I think it allows you to play an additional card on the lead villain in any mission in which the kingpin is involved (i.e. scheming, master plan).

Quote:

I'd rather go with Emma Frost, thank you. Though I usually (i.e. in most comics) think either MJ or Black Cat are hottest...

Quote:
Surprise Attack : How does this card fit into the timing? Clearly, the best time to use it would be right after powers are chosen, but that seems a bit harsh on the hero.

This has been answered a few times, you use it BEFORE chosing powers.

Quote:
Enchantress (Love Spell) : Let’s say she uses it successfully on Thor. The Avengers player switches to a different ready hero next round, Captain America. Does her power still limit Captain America? I'd guess yes, choosing rule consistency over the sense of the plot.

Questionable. In German it just says "your opponent can't use...". This could apply to either the player or the hero...

Quote:
Sentinels (Area Attack) : Will this ability affect heroes belonging to players not involved in the combat? I would guess not.

Disagree. It says nothing about the active player, so I think anyone is fair game for the sentinels. robot

Quote:

Yes.

- Anwar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some of these have been answered before... by me and other players. I was hoping to have one of the designers chime in to verify. Until they do though, I'll go by whatever sounds best amongst the player community.

Trump wrote:
Anwar wrote:
Here I disagree. I think it allows you to play an additional card on the lead villain in any mission in which the kingpin is involved (i.e. scheming, master plan).

I can really see this one going either way.

Trump wrote:
Anwar wrote:
I'd rather go with Emma Frost, thank you. Though I usually (i.e. in most comics) think either MJ or Black Cat are hottest...

If we base our decisions off of more than the game art, then Viper certainly doesn't rank so highly. Emma's art is really pretty mediocre here. Heck, I don't think she looks good when done by any artist in that horrible new costume that Quitely gave her. Way back in her White Queen days though...

Trump wrote:
Anwar wrote:
This has been answered a few times, you use it BEFORE chosing powers.

If I could only get one answer from the designers, this would be it. I'd really like to know their intentions.

Trump wrote:
Anwar wrote:
Disagree. It says nothing about the active player, so I think anyone is fair game for the sentinels. robot

The odds of this ever being an issue are remote anyway, eh?

Trump wrote:
Anwar wrote:
Yes.

This would seem to make your answer for Thor inconsistent with your answer for Dormammu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe I have to append a question already...

Red Skull (Master of Terror) : Do you consider the level of any supporting heroes since they aren't actually in districts? Do you consider heroes owned by other players (I have visions of the Red Skull player always rushing a high level character to any mastermind headline that the Avengers attempt)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Cordes
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Why pick away with one question at a time when I can ask questions about all of the cards at once?

Trump, I had had the exact same idea and addressed at least one of the same questions you had. But for some (weird) reason I posted that on the General forum:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/135707
I thought that with cards it was usually a translation issue that would resolve a problem like this. And I do think it helps. As with Kingpin, I agree with Anwar. It does sound like it only applies to scheming actions and lead villains.

Trump wrote:
Red Skull (Master of Terror) : Do you consider the level of any supporting heroes since they aren't actually in districts? Do you consider heroes owned by other players (I have visions of the Red Skull player always rushing a high level character to any mastermind headline that the Avengers attempt)?

I think the designers answered a similar question somewhere on this board. The levels of heroes only apply to those of the ready heroes. A supporting hero is only supporting the area, not the district. So, usually it's only one or two ready heroes from which you choose the one with the higher level. This, of course, brings some additional advantage when using lower-level heroes for certain headlines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh* New problem today...

My opponent declares an Ally he'll be using this time. I use Blastaar's power to cancel the effect. Can my opponent once again choose an ally to use? I would assume he can't use the same ally again.

I really WANT to restrict powers to one use per sequence for the sake on consistency, but situations like this really make me wonder if that's wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Cordes
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anwar wrote:
Trump wrote:

I just stumbled upon the Roberto Di Meglio game designer's thoughts on this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/134915
Sounds like I played it wrong (and Anwar did too). Roberto says that...
cybernex wrote:
essentially you get a free additional Henchman for Kingpin when you have a Challenge with him starting.

The English Prologue card text is: "As soon as a troubleshooting involving kingpin begins, you can play a villain card as backup effect without paying its trouble cost."
To me, this contradicts what Roberto said. Henchman is henchman, so why call it a backup effect? And as far as I understood it, there is no trouble cost when fighting a nemesis. He may not even play backup effects other than henchmen. So the wording on the English (and German) cards is clearly not intended to mean "get an additional henchman", or is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hired Assassin
Kingpin Prologue - Combat card

"When a Challenge involving Kingpin starts, you may play one Backup Effect from your hand without paying its Trouble Cost."

First, this is a Combat card. The other Villains Prologue-Combat cards all directly influence combat with the nemesis. If this ability allowed Kingpin to play a backup effect on the lead villain, then the proper title would be Prologue-Scheming.

Second, (and a very weak argument, but I'm going to use it anyway) the word "Challenge" in the card is only used in the rulebook when refering to Challenging the Mastermind Villain.

So, I think Roberto is right on this one. Why the reference to Trouble Cost? Just to confuse the hell out of us! On page 12, Trouble Cost is also used in reference to henchmen. At least they are confusing us consistently!

I think the card should read:

"When a Challenge involving Kingpin starts, you may play one Backup Effect from your hand, in addition to drawing his two henchmen normally."

EDIT: Guess I could add my input on the other questions as well:

I think Uru Hammer can be used for both attack and defense in the same combat sequence, providing a resouce card is discarded each time. It has to be played BEFORE the dice are rolled and the Avengers are sometimes lacking in resource cards anyway. Plus he has to be using Mjolnir Whirl. The Invible Woman's Surprise Tactics is not as restricted. She can use it with any power, after the dice are rolled, three times per combat sequence and my Fantastic Four tend to have many cards they can discard.

Magneto's brotherhood card does say "in addition to any OTHER option", so I would say Draw Villain cards PLUS Boosting or Increasing.

Viper is pretty hot! But is that the best picture of Shadowcat they could find? She's not too young, she used to be older than me.

Surprise Attack: I would say start of a combat sequence, before powers are chosen. Nothing to base this on, just how I like it.

Enchantress is tricky. The "your opponent" reference can be taken either as "the player" or "as the current ready hero who just took the KO". I would choose the hero option. She might convice Jean Grey that there's some hanky panky in the near future, but that wouldn't effect Cyclops.

The Sentinels card does say "every other Ready and Supporting Super Hero in the District." With that wording, I would say everybody takes a hit, not just the active heroes.

Dormammu (just like all of the other discard fueled powers that aren't covered under the restrictions on page 15) CAN use his power to discard three allies with three discards. I don't think this falls under the stacking category and no other restrictions are in the description. Yes, it's ultra powerful. But that's just the way I think it should be played, as well has all other powers that aren't covered under the restrctions.

Related question: what about rerolls? (Super Skrull and Avalanche, maybe more). Both refer to "dice just rolled" that can be rerolled by discarding a villain card. Dice are rerolled and their status changes back to "dice just rolled". Can another villain card be discarded to reroll the new result? I've got arguments for yes and no, and I don't like either.

You've got me stumped on the Ally /Blastaar question. The answer may depend on how different the Allies abilities are. Maybe not. The rules state (rather vaguely, thanks!) "The special ability of an Ally or Backup Effect can be used at the appropriate moment during combat." So, my X-Men are fighting Blastaar. It is now the "appropriate moment" to use my Archangel defense of 4. Blastaar discards a villain card and cancels Archangels effect. Can I now activate Beast with a defense of 3?. Can I activate Archangel again? Is it still the "appropriate moment"? Archangels effect was cancelled, so other than the activation cost, it never took place. I've got plenty of activations left and you've got plenty of villain cards to discard. We could just cycle through those until we're both left with nothing. Or maybe Blastaar can only use his power once per combat sequence? Yeah, back to that discussion. I say yes he can. Others say no he can't. I'm just going to avoid that blastaar card for a while. That'll fix the problem!

Red Skull Master of Terror Scheming Ability. I like the answer "only the active heroes of the active team troubleshooting the headline". That means, only the Avengers. While there is definitely a history in the comics of Red Skull benefiting from everyones actions and mistakes when he can, then I've just lost my point. "Any hero", supporting or not, would fit into the way his character has been portrayed in the comics. I've made a real mess of this one too. I'm sticking with my original answer though.

Thoughts? Questions? Flames? Maybe an editor to sit over my shoulder next time so I don't type too much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In an attempt to reach a consensus, I’m summing up what I believe to be the correct interpretations of many of the cards in the game based on answers I have received in various forums. As always, I welcome reasoned discord.

Kingpin (Hired Assassin) : This essentially just gives Kingpin an extra Henchman that comes from your hand instead of being drawn randomly.

Magneto/Red Skull/Doom (Scheming) : Essentially, this is saying you get two of the three Scheming actions instead of only one. It is not saying that you can take the same Scheming action twice.

X-Men (Danger Room) : Nothing special here, but since that second sentence is there and NOT on other cards, I am going to change my previous assumption that no ability can be used more than once in a combat sequence.

Asteroid M / Surprise Attack : The ability to take the initiative is usable at any point in the combat sequence. IMPORTANT : This can’t be done more often than once per phase, so if you steal initiative and they steal it back, you have to wait until the next phase if you’d like to steal it again.

Daredevil (Proximity Sense) : This is simply one example of an ability that might possible be used three times in a sequence… once per phase.

Captain America (Shield Toss) : This is an example of a power that’s linked to the choice of power. If an Ally is being used to substitute a rating, the hero is NOT using his power in that phase and thus can not use his special combat power to assist his Ally.

Allies : Each Ally can be used once per combat sequence. More than one ally may be used during the same phase (which matters when fighting Blastaar, for example).

Blastaar / Dormammu / Etc: Usable once per phase. (see Daredevil)

Enchantress : If the Ready hero is switched out, then the red Combat Power CAN be chosen in the next combat sequence.

Sentinels : Area Attack usable during Attack and Outwit. Affects ready superheroes of ALL teams in the district. Affects supporting hero of only the active team since he’d be the only supporting character considered to be in the district.

Prof Xavier and others like him : This is an Ally, so he is deployed (and can be given a bonus ‘charge’) just like any other ally. Once that’s done, add ANOTHER Plot Point to the Ally. Each use of the Ally can then be used to pay for related team ally recruitments, so it's possible that the X-Men could pay a plot point to recruit Prof Xavier, add an extra plot point to keep him longer as is normal for ally deployment, and thus end up with FOUR points of X-Men Ally recruitment to use as they like!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
Trump wrote:
Captain America (Shield Toss) : This is an example of a power that’s linked to the choice of power. If an Ally is being used to substitute a rating, the hero is NOT using his power in that phase and thus can not use his special combat power to assist his Ally.

One of the designers has confirmed that Elektra's Ninjutsu special ability may be used EVEN when you an ally to roll with his/her score. This would contradict your Captain America idea. Can't find it at the moment, but it's in one of the threads here.

- Anwar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing the character names, I was able to find that thread. Thanks! Just the sort of thing I want to know about!

I'm REAL uneasy about abilities being used more than once in a sequence. Reed and Sue seem unstoppable because they WILL have resource cards. And Dr Doom won't go for his Master Plan until he has AIM and Skrulls on his side (to counter their powers)? That's just goofy, but what else can he do? The rules seem to support the multiple use. Hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like the "usable only once per phase" restriction on Daredevil, Blastaar, Dormammu, etc., but is this meant to be played that way, or are we just agreeing that this is how we'll be playing? An official FAQ answer or just an unofficial consenus from the gamers?

I have the opposite opinion on the initiative debate. If the cards and allies are available to be played, then I believe that initiative can switch numerous times until one player either can't steal it back or concedes the initiative to the other. I also don't see any reason a player would want to switch initiative once per PHASE. At the beginning of the combat suquence, I can understand. Decide Initiative, then choose powers, then player with initiative attacks, then player without initiative attacks, then outwit. There's no purpose in changing initiative before the outwit step. And taking the initiative after the person with initiative attacks lets them hit you twice! I think Initiative only matters when deciding who will attack first, which happens only once per combat sequence. Notice how I slipped Decide Initiative in before choosing powers? I got a little sneaky there!

What's the consensus on WHEN Initiative can be changed? BEFORE or AFTER choosing powers? I vote for before.

In defense of Shield Toss, let's say Captain America is fighting a villain with She-Hulk as an Ally. He chooses Indestructible Shield as his power and rolls 1 die to attack. He then "tosses his shield" to add two hits to the result. Or, She-Hulk could attack with her 5 dice, and Cap would still be able to toss his shield, inflicting two additional hits. I'm not saying that anyone disagrees with this rule, I'm just giving a play-by-play of how it could happen in the marvel world.

X-Men Danger Room: I'm still a little confused how this power up works, even though I know I read about it in another thread. I'll start looking, but would you mind summing it up? EDIT: just looked up the other thread and I'm still confused as to how this one works. Only for attack or can I choose attack or defend or outwit? "Add one die to your next combat roll". It's the word "next" that's confusing me.

Is there really a restriction on Allies being used only once per combat sequence? If I have Beast as an Ally with 2 plot points on his card, why wouldn't I be able to use him for two or three phases of the combat sequence if I like? (Cyclops chooses Optic Force Blast 5-1-1, rolls 5 attack dice then lets Beast do the defending 3 and outwitting 3) What about Colossus? If I have sufficient plot points, why can't he cancel a KO while defending and cancel another during outwit? Your opinions would help me on this.

Just a clarification for Professor X: technically, he would have four points of X-Men Ally ACTIVATION, not recruitment. You must still recruit allies by playing your team plot points.

I'll type some of the card out: "When you activate an X-Men Ally, you may pay the activation cost with Professor Xavier instead."

Hope this helps!
Robert (whose Editor clearly never showed up today)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
I do like the "usable only once per phase" restriction on Daredevil, Blastaar, Dormammu, etc., but is this meant to be played that way, or are we just agreeing that this is how we'll be playing?

You can't stack powers and using it more than once per phase would be stacking. My problem is that I think many of them should be once per SEQUENCE.

robertg611 wrote:
What's the consensus on WHEN Initiative can be changed? BEFORE or AFTER choosing powers? I vote for before.

I'd rather it was before too, but I can't support that contention with the rules.

robertg611 wrote:
X-Men Danger Room: I'm still a little confused how this power up works, even though I know I read about it in another thread. I'll start looking, but would you mind summing it up? EDIT: just looked up the other thread and I'm still confused as to how this one works. Only for attack or can I choose attack or defend or outwit? "Add one die to your next combat roll". It's the word "next" that's confusing me.

Attack, Defend, or Outwit. "Next" is just there to answer timing questions. Using the Danger Room needs to be declared before rolling the dice.

robertg611 wrote:
Is there really a restriction on Allies being used only once per combat sequence?

Haven't seen anything. My current contention is once per PHASE.

robertg611 wrote:
Just a clarification for Professor X: technically, he would have four points of X-Men Ally ACTIVATION, not recruitment. You must still recruit allies by playing your team plot points.

Good catch! I wasn't reading that one correctly. Two plot points buys you up to four ally activations.

---admin edit---
fixed formatting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to disagree with your interpretation of the stacking limitation. As I see it, the stacking restriction only applies to numerical stacking. I can use Thor's Uru Hammer as example for both:

Not affected by stacking: thor can discard a card to add 1 die to his fighting and discard another card to add 1 die to his defense.

affected by stacking: thor cannot discard two cards and add 2 dice to his fighting.

Page 15. "Abilities do not stack; that is, abilities may not be used multiple times to affect the same dice roll or value."

I'm not saying you're wrong about Dormammu's ability being limited once per phase, I'm just saying that he's not restricted solely because of the stacking limitation. His ability affects neither dice rolls nor values. He's either restricted due to some other limitation, or only because we agree to play that way.

If the stacking rules have changed (possibly the wording didn't match the designers intent) just let me know and I'll change my answer.

Edit the Third time!: I just read Roberto's reference to the stacking limitation. I've read it before but it never registered. Apparently, NO power can be used more than once per combat phase. I would delete everything I typed before but I really did put a lot of time and thought into it.

Thanks SO MUCH for your answer about the Danger Room. Just last night I purposely didn't choose it because I didn't know how to play it!

Edit 1 & 2: asked a new question but then I immediately found the answer! Hope nobody wasted any time on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.