Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Murphy
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Overview: Collect 18 points worth of hole cards to win. The die will be used to make drives and putts, but the fun comes in the play of game cards that put twists on the rules.

Components: There are two decks and one die. The hole deck has two numbers: a drive number and a point value. The cards in the larger game deck can represent equipment, terrain, hazards, actions, or stress. Stress cards are used to cancel the effects of other cards that are played against you. The remaining game cards have text with special instructions.

Rules: Each player draws 5 game cards. In subsequent turns one may optionally discard one card before refreshing back up to 5 cards. If you want to play any equipment cards, now is a good time (just after the draw). These cards may make you immune to some hazards or give you some other advantage, and remain in play until something gets rid of them. Turn over the top card from the hole deck. This is the hole you are competing for. Each player may play one terrain card and any number of hazard cards before the drive. Action, and stress cards may be played at anytime in any order. Players attempt to make it to the green by rolling a number no greater than the drive number on the hole card. Game cards may be played by any player to modify the role number, re-roll, etc. Any players who make it to the green roll the die another time. The hole card goes to the player who makes the best putt by rolling the lowest number. If the points on all your hole cards totals 18, you win.

Who played first? There are many game cards that may cause a target player to forfeit a whole or discard a hand. This makes it really important to know played first. It is not practical to be rapidly playing cards on to a common pile because unless you have them all memorized you will need to read the text and act on it. The causes too much confusion. We got around this by tweeking the rules slightly such that all players play terrain and hazard cards one at a time simultaneously. Then we act on all of them, so that even if you have to forfeit or throw away all your cards, the one card you played is still acted on. This confusion is usually not an issue with the action or stress cards, and the equipment cards can be played before the hole card is even turned over.

Fun game. Okay, so we had a little trouble with the game at first, but it grew on us after to coming to agreement on how the cards will be played. It works well with 2 players and appeals to non-serious gamers... big plusses in our house. We enjoy the fast play, and will usually play several games in a row. For serious gamers, it makes a nice filler between longer strategy games. There is no need to be familiar with golf because this game does little to simulate it. At least there is a drive and a putt, but you are playing to 18 points, not 18 holes. Don't take it seriously and you will have a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smidt
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review!! I have this game under the Christmas tree (from a big order off the Fantasy Flight sale) so I'm looking forward to playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I got it mainly for my son - he loves Tiger Woods PS games and Everybody golf and plays a bit for real.

He enjoys this a lot. I think it's ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.