BattleLore» Forums » General

Subject: Promos - how do you use them? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be a stupid question but I haven't really followed the discussion here.

How do you actually use the promo figures and future blister packs? I mean, they can't release new scenarios and assume all people got them I guess and there are no rules for creating your own scenarios as far as I know.

So how do you use them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is an online scenario editor.

And you can always use them in the 'choose your own war council' scenarios, but I'm not sure how PLACING the unit is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kruijt
Netherlands
Eindhoven
NBr
flag msg tools
This overtext intentionally left blank.
badge
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
mbmbmbmbmb
Days of Wonder will release new scenarios on their website (I think in 2007) that you can download or print using your web access number. This is the way they more or less did it with Memoir '44 (although I haven't seen promotionalitems for M44).

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would think you could take any of the published scenarios that allow for creating a war council and drop in the Hill Giant as a Level 2. So, for example - a Level 3 Commander, a Level 1 Wizard and a Hill Giant gives you six levels in your war council. The Spider would be a Level 1 as it's a green banner monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that how creature levels work, then?

I presumed it was one level, regardless, the Spider is just weaker on attacking, the Hill Giant is 'tricksy'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
BlueJackal wrote:
Is that how creature levels work, then?

I presumed it was one level, regardless, the Spider is just weaker on attacking, the Hill Giant is 'tricksy'.

It's just an assumption on my part. There are 3 banner colors, 3 levels of war council members, so, I'm just sayin'.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cote
United States
Central Village
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueJackal wrote:
And you can always use them in the 'choose your own war council' scenarios, but I'm not sure how PLACING the unit is done.

As for placing them, the rules say place the creature's lair in an empty hex on the third or fourth row from your side, so maybe you can just start the creature on the lair? Maybe? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clark
United States
Loudon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not read all the way through the rules yet, but I was wondering about this as well since I got the Hill Giant promo.

It would be cool to have "wild" creatures that you can control if you get to their lair and "tame them to claim them" (can I copyright that phrase?) through a dice roll or defeating them or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it has been stated in forums by DoW staff that Blue-banner creatures cost 2 lore levels and red-banner creatures cost 3 lore levels.

cobalt60 wrote:
As for placing them, the rules say place the creature's lair in an empty hex on the third or fourth row from your side, so maybe you can just start the creature on the lair? Maybe? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Well, of the 3 creatures so far this could only possibly apply to one (the Hill Giant). The Giant Spider has no lair, and the Earth Elemental is summoned into play by a unit on the Summoning Circle, which is destroyed when the EE is summoned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Nelmes
Wales
Machynlleth
Powys
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be in a minority of one here, but I just can't see that any of the creatures is worth more than the others:

Spider - Fast and has handy special attacks (web and poison).

Giant - Better in melee than the spider (and can throw rocks from its lair), BUT slow.

Elemental - Best in melee (due to good special attacks) and very fast, BUT uses wads of Lore AND has to be summoned first.

If the Giant and Elemental were to cost 2 council levels, I can't see myself ever using them. Give me 2 spiders any day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
This might be a stupid question but I haven't really followed the discussion here.

How do you actually use the promo figures and future blister packs? I mean, they can't release new scenarios and assume all people got them I guess and there are no rules for creating your own scenarios as far as I know.

So how do you use them?

We need an official answer. Someone use some Lore and "summon" Eric or Richard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nusku wrote:

If the Giant and Elemental were to cost 2 council levels, I can't see myself ever using them. Give me 2 spiders any day!

The problem here is that there's a limit of one creature per side (if what I read in forums is accurate). So two Spiders is out (even if you had two at your disposal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cole
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:

So how do you use them?

Although currently there are no rules for creating your own scenarios, DOW have said that there will be a scenario editor added to the website in the near future, to allow people to make their own scenarios. Hopefully this will be accompanied with some guidance on how to make scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they reaaaally want people to keep buying singles for the monthly battlelore releases; they should really have a scenerio printed on a fold up sheet with the mini. That way, the creature or unit would be instantly usable and it would give players much more to look forward torward when they open the pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Nelmes
Wales
Machynlleth
Powys
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it appears that I was wrong. The following has appeared on the French forum in answer to a question on this very topic:

Pour l'instant nous n'avons pas introduit de monstres a niveau variable (ie soit vert, soit bleu soit rouge en fonction du nombre de niveaux depensés). Car ce ne sont pas seulement les dés lancés qui changeront, mais aussi les pouvoirs spéciaux, etc...
donc la reponse est pour l'instant non, l'araignée est verte et doit rester verte. pour 2 niveaux, il vaudra mieux prendre le géant Very Happy ou l'élémentaire.
eric

Basically, Eric is confirming (in passing) that green creatures cost 1 Lore Council level, blue creatures cost 2 and, by implication, that red creatures will cost 3.

Expensive if your Hill Giant gets killed by the first volley of arrows!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Nelmes
Wales
Machynlleth
Powys
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha!! The man himself has just posted this:

Your Giant Spider from the core game and the two promotional creature figures, the Hill Giant and Earth Elemental are all considered 1 level creatures. To deploy a creature in battle will count as 1 level token for its camp on the War Council.

For your enjoyment, you may deploy anyone of these when an Adventure calls for the deployment of a creature.

Enjoy
Richard Borg

I have to say that this makes a lot of sense - I just couldn't see how either of the two blue creatures were worth 2 war council levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Goodwin
United States
Grayslake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nusku wrote:
Haha!! The man himself has just posted this:

Your Giant Spider from the core game and the two promotional creature figures, the Hill Giant and Earth Elemental are all considered 1 level creatures. To deploy a creature in battle will count as 1 level token for its camp on the War Council.

For your enjoyment, you may deploy anyone of these when an Adventure calls for the deployment of a creature.

Enjoy
Richard Borg

I have to say that this makes a lot of sense - I just couldn't see how either of the two blue creatures were worth 2 war council levels.

Where was this posted? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Nelmes
Wales
Machynlleth
Powys
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was posted on the English Battlore forum on the DoW site:

http://www.daysofwonder.com/index.php?t=msg&th=9449&start=0&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression that the situation regarding creatures is as follows:

There are two ways in which creatures can be used:
1) The scenario calls for a creature.
In this case, you are allowed to substitute the creature called for by a different creature. The creature starts on the position indicated by the scenario map.

2) You buy a creature using your War Council levels.
In this case, you are allowed to place the Creature's Lair on the map, and the creature starts on that position. (Or will appear there when summoned).

I think this makes sense... It matches the description of the lairs, and the suggestion that the creature's hide there. It also solves a question of my own: where do I start the additional creature?

Though the weak point is of course that the Giant Spider does not have a lair...
But anyway, this is my theory, for now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.