Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: oop [+] [View All]
Clint Corley
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the best and/or easiest way to find out if a game on the GamesBrowser is currently out of print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
There was a tremendous geeklist tracking and updating this information. I was going to link you to it, but the author seems to have deleted it. Too bad. I've found it very useful but I imagine it was a bear to keep current.

I have several major online retailers bookmarked and when I'm not sure about the availability of a game I usually check their sites to see. If I get no results I look at the manufacturers site. If I still can't find it I assume it's unavailable (as opposed to 'out of print').

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might help somewhat:

Top 150 Availability (updated 2nd November '06)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/15390

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
Well there ya go! For some reason the link from my "favorites" listing didn't work ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Adler
England
flag msg tools
Thanks for that link thumbsup

So many great games out of print! They don't make them like they used to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An awesome geeklist. I wish I could give it more than one thumb. Make sure to read the most recent comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Corley
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link, Ender.

Mark, I can see how keeping track of this would be labor intensive.

I was just clicking the "view all" link under the sponsers ad. If nothing came up I assumed it was out of print.

Is it worth posting on BGG Suggestions for print status to be included in the information section of game entries?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember that nearly all games are just a single, limited run and will be progressively harder to get as time goes by. Maybe one game in 10 ever gets a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno! wrote:
Is it worth posting on BGG Suggestions for print status to be included in the information section of game entries?

The only problem with the idea Richard is that most boardgames are "out-of-print" as soon as they are printed because they're just printed once, so even when they're readily available, they are technically out-of-print. It wouldn't be so useful to provide the in-print vs. out-of-print status of a game, but rather to provide the available vs. unavailable status of game, but that would be an enormous amount of work to maintain. My suggestion is just to use the following website:
http://www.boardgamesearch.com/
There you can type in the name of the game you're looking for and search at a few different online retailers very quickly, and if they don't have it then it's not readily available (but still could be found possibly at one or two, on eBay, BGG Marketplace, etc.) Unfortunately, the in-print vs. out-of-print distinction doesn't work so well for boardgames since they're not being constantly printed, but just printed once and that's it, most of the time I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a few notable exceptions, I have been pleased at how readily many out-of-print games can be obtained. So my advice is to not give up hope. A while ago my best "find" was a reasonably priced copy of Dune, for example. Occasionally one also gets lucky with reprints. I have been kicking myself for having passed up a copy of Taj Mahal a few years ago and lo and behold they reprinted it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Corley
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the information. It's very helpful. Tom, that's a great link.

I was creating a wishlist for myself and knew there were games on it that I wouldn't be able to easily find. I guess what I was looking for was some indication as to how rare a game is. Of course, the year of publication is a good clue.

I wanted to be able to quickly identify all the hard to find games on my wishlist. I decided to make "priority: 2 - love to have it" the rare games category on my wishlist. That meant I had to know whether or not a game was hard to find. Perhaps there's a better way to do this.

Having played games like Acquire, Dune and Outpost I wanted them on my wishlist even though I knew the chances of finding an affordable copy was low. As a side note, I did make a homemade version of Outpost (for personal use, not for sale). It cost me about $50 not including labor.

-Bruno!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.