B B
Poland
Lodz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i am thinking about This game
i like two-player Attika very much
how this game compares to Attika in terms of play length, replay value,luck, strategy and playing fun?

maybe another tips for 2-player game, lasting 30-60minutes (not longer),without much pure luck involved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Kellet
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I've only played Taluva a couple of times on the plane on the way back from essen, sadly it wasnt my copy.

I liked it a lot. I won so that could have skewed it.

Not sure they are easy to compare (not quite the same "patience" component of Attika), but I love Attika. My wife and I play a lot.

I'm certainly going to buy a copy of Taluva when its available in Canada. I'm sure there is lots of strategy but in 2 plays I was just grasping concepts.

I thought it was more of a 3d carcasonne. It's especially nice that you can't just pile tile on tile - you have to place a tile to overlap tiles.

And then a touch of Settlers with the progression from villages to cities etc (not the right terms but I'm sure you get the drift)

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the components are beautiful, the game feels much more abstract than Attika, with less "chrome" (one of the things I like about Attika is that you are building a city- even if the theme is thinly pasted on it's still there).

Taluva is also different in that it is a perfect information game so it is thus more prone to analysis paralysis, and for that reason alone should NOT be played with more than 3. Like Attika, there are kingmaker "issues" with more than 2 players. Overall I like both games (rate them both a 7, which is very good, worth owning, but not great), but I feel that they are quite different, although they do have in common that they are easy to learn yet engaging 2p games with attractive components.

In conclusion, liking Attika does not say much about whether you'd like Taluva, but the latter is a pretty good 2-player game, lasting 30-60minutes (not longer),without much pure luck involved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Strömer
Sweden
Lidingo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both games. The main problem is the kingmaking, and also that in a tight game the final winning condition is to draw the right tile.

Taluva is NOT a game of perfect information, as you do not know in what order the tiles are drawn.

Anyhow, if you like Attika, I think you can enjoy Taluva as well. They have a similar feeling, when you have to wager your long term goals with short term achievements. In multiplayer games you also have this social aspect: Who will give up his favour to stop the leader?

The way we play we do not think and overanalyze everything, so a 3-player game will be done in less than 30 minutes.

Taluva is a very beutiful game.

/Strömer, from Sweden
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B
Poland
Lodz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank for all answers
I have bought Taluva and I am fine with it.
Components and game zone after a play looks beautiful, game is quick and tense, and plays well with 2 and 3. It is not 'just somewhat changed Attika' at all.
(similar mechanics concepts are visible- 2 ways of winning, one of with is premature ending, and hexagonal components..) but gameplay is different!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bergbau wrote:
Taluva is NOT a game of perfect information, as you do not know in what order the tiles are drawn.

That's not really important though. Taluva is in fact an almost completely perfect-information game, because all tiles are virtually identical. This isn't like Carcassonne -- the tile features aren't different in a meaningful way. It is a rare moment when the draw of one particular tile changes one's plans.

You are technically correct, however I'll say the earlier poster was right in spirit, because the game plays like a perfect information game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.