Oliver Harrison
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought this due to reading how some people feel this is a truly underrated game. I got it for a friend for Christmas, so havn't actually even opened it or played it. However, I've been reading about how some people don't like the negatives of rolling a D20. I understand that completely as you've only got a 5% chance of getting exactly the spot you want.

My idea is this: in addition to the D20, buy two D10s and add them to the game. If a player chooses, they may roll the two D10s instead of the D20 on their turn. Then, they may take one or the other of the result OR the sum. This way, there is a lot more flexibility and likelihood of them getting what they want, if the spot is somewhere between 5 and 15 (you mathemeticians can tell me the exact odds). Obviously, if they are trying to get a 1 or anything 18 and over, they would roll the D20. Maybe someone can try it out and tell me if this helps the game or not.

Oliver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Or ....

Roll a D10 and make each number refer to a choice of two regions.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a 'press your luck' element appears when you have a number of properties in a nearly-full region. if you don't provide water on your turn, another player can roll the dice and possibly get the option to place in that region and blow up all of your unwatered properties. in a 4p game, your d10 variant could result in facing 9 consecutive 10% chances of an opposing hit. those odds are bad, so watering would seem fairly mandatory. people should roll more frequently when pre-watered slots are available on the board too, since their odds of a freebie are that much better.

i think this variant would reduce both tension and player choices, but it's a cool thought exercise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Given the way the regions are laid out, 2d10 would indeed increase density in the center of the board and make for additional tension. Likely the game would have more action on the left hand and right hand sides, each in one of the two center rows. Outliers would be less valuable to water, but maybe a nice catch.

Even more dice would make for heavy traffic in the center. 4d6, where a 21 indicates region 3, 22 indicates region 2 and 23 indicates region 1 (toss out 24s on the very odd chance they appear) would bring LOTS of rolls to the center row of the board..

3d8 with a similar adjustment would be broader.

This would make for Jack Dempsey style play, where everyone is in on top of each other. My copy is still in the mail to me but I may try these out.

Step 2 -- renumber the regions to create hot-spots with multiple dice play.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 2d10, and each die is a different color. One die is 1-10, the other is 11-20. You can take one die or the other, or the sum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
How about 2d10, and each die is a different color. One die is 1-10, the other is 11-20. You can take one die or the other, or the sum.

I like it.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brackman
United States
S. Grafton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to use two D-10s to replace the D-20 is to have one die represent high-low and the other the number. In other words one die will determine if the other die is a 3 or a 13.
Say you rolled a 4 and a 6, you could use the 4 as the low and get a 6 or the 6 as the high and get 14. This way you will have two chioces for each roll but you won't be intoducing a bell curve.
Have used D-10s this way to simulate a D-20 in role playing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about adding another D20 to each roll and then just simply making the choice of the two for house placement? This seems the easiest way to mitigate the dice roll luck a little bit while only adding the smallest number of additional choices to be made to the house placement action (as opposed to the various D10 and other dice suggestions made here).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.