Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
How'd you like to earn 12 points per turn? If you' could build your network so that you could get an average of 12 points per turn thereafter, that'd be pretty strong, eh?

Well, connecting Los Angeles to Miami to New York does this. After that, a player just sits back and takes tickets. Drawing four tickets per turn, with all those cities in the network, you'll get at least one without having to lay down wagons. After the network-of-death is built, the only defense is ending the game before the person can take ALL the tickets.

In a recent game of Big Cities, the winning player card-cycled the WHOLE ticket deck, and achieved a final score of 256!!

Our group has reproduced similar lopsided victories in the Mega game as well, twice now. We suspect both games are broken, but perhaps a counter-strategy can be found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
PS: In big cities, Chicago is nice, and only one more link. In Mega my gut tells me Boston & Montreal are probably better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanjay Subrahmanyan
India
Chennai
Tamil Nadu
flag msg tools
badge
Play a boardgame and get social
mbmbmbmbmb
I did exactly this and won with a whopping 196 points in a 3 player game today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
MrWeasely wrote:
We suspect both games are broken, but perhaps a counter-strategy can be found.

I would have thought that the "counter-strategy" would be, don't let a player connect NY, Miami and LA into one network. It might require nastier play than some players are used to, but an unwillingness to get one's hands dirty doesn't mean that the game is broken.

My copy of 1910 hasn't arrived yet, though, so I might be wrong about the viability of defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

That's the 256 pointer.

Since then we've played again and gotten 237 points using the same strategy. I didn't really have good tickets for it, just built out to LA because. It still worked, of course.

New Orleans - Houston is the obvious place to block. I currently think that should be move #1 for every player, no matter their route cards. In the last 5 Mega-games, the person that has taken that route has won every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the_kid
United States
manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I've played over 200 Big Cities and 20 each of the other 2 versions. The game definitely isn't broken.

In Big Cities, the key strategy is usually to take the 2 tickets that you can complete in the fewest amount of turns. Then you can bombard your opponent with 6's all over the map. This I have no doubt is the best 2 player strategy. A favorite ticket combo of mine is LA-Oklahoma City and KC-Houston. It can be completed in 4 turns and with 4 other 6's you are out in 8 turns. No ticket fiending strategy will work against this.

Mega is trickier, I prefer to get longest route rather than go for most tickets, which gives you a net -5 differential to your opponent, which can usually be more than offset by taking longer routes and scoring higher. Again a key is limiting your opponents turns.

1910 is the hardest as the ticket placements are in very weird spots. Long tickets are generally not as good here. Phoenix-Boston is awful. Vancouver-Duluth and Van-Denver are a pretty good combo. A couple of good middle tickets while going out quick is tough to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
In a recent game of Big Cities, the winning player card-cycled the WHOLE ticket deck, and achieved a final score of 256!!

Our group has reproduced similar lopsided victories in the Mega game as well, twice now. We suspect both games are broken, but perhaps a counter-strategy can be found.

You can do something similar with the Marklin edition and score 347 points!

Pyjam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.