Josh Wheeler
United States
Ammon
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug and I couldn't convince anyone else to play games with us on a sunny winter Saturday, so after zero arm twisting we broke down and decided to play Doug's new copy of Battlelore.

Now, I had played multiple scenarios all ready at BGG.Con 2006. Doug had played the Battle of Agincourt last night and sort of shrugged his shoulders when I asked him what he thought of the game.

Our conversation went thusly.
Doug said, "It seemed pretty similar to that other one, what's it called?"
Myself, slightly incredulous, replied, "Memoir '44."
"That's it."
"That does it," I insisted, "We are going straight to a fully customized War Council."

And so we did. We set up scenario #10 in the booklet, but left the spider off the board at first. We gathered up 6 levels worth of War Council tokens, and schemed silently some moments. Then came the reveal!

Doug's War Council
Level 1 Commander
Level 3 Cleric
Level 1 Rogue
Level 1 Creature

Josh' War Council
Level 2 Commander
Level 3 Rogue
Level 1 Creature

In the area where scenario 10 normally shows a spider, Doug placed his Cleric's healing fountain. Doug chose the Hill Giant as his creature, and placed it's lair just in front of the Healing Pool.

I placed my Rogue's hideout deep in the corner of my left flank, underneath one of my blue infantry units. I took the Spider into my ranks, and placed her near my Stronghold, which I then affectionately nicknamed Moria Jr.

The lines were drawn, and battle was joined!
Doug started the fight with style, hurling boulders deep into the ranks of my dwarven infantry. There were casualties, but the staunch defenders from the mountain realms stood firm against the terrifying onslaught. My response was to keep my line tight and move it slowly closer toward Doug's center.

After another volley by his Giant, and further manuevering by my center lines, Doug's Goblins led the next charge toward my left flank. My red cavalry made a suspicious retreat into the Rogue's hideout and left my blue infantry defending against the slobbering hordes. The flank was holding, for now.

From my stronghold, I launched a half-hearted volley of arrows, then made my strongest Lore manuever of the game. Gaining 1d from a leadership command card, my spider took advantage of Stealth Lore card to run to the very rear of Doug's line where a lone blue infantry stood preparing a pot of stew and hoping for a night of peace. The spider made short work of those plans. She tore three of the blue infantry apart before the other had even picked up a sword. Doug responded by calling back a red cavalry, and trying to eliminate the arachnid menace, only to have that unit similarly reduced to one man. It seemed all hope was lost. But Doug's Lore was strong.

He used Darken the Skies to fire arrows madly, and gave the archers nearest my spider a Take Aim bonus to fire. With all those dice being rolled, it was destined to happen. The spider fell, riddled with wooden shafts. The fight seemed to go out of my troops to see their mighty creature fall. Doug had picked up 2 more flags, a human infantry, and a band of archers before my army even began to mount a response. Thanks to a fortuitous draw, and Stolen Orders from my rogue, I played three Blue Unit orders in a row. My center line, filled with stalwart dwarves and their human compatriots smashed into Doug's line, with the right edge hammering futilely against his Hill Giant. The Hill Giant went so far as to send my blue Cavalry flying backwards into a nearby forest.

Though this attack did manage to take down a couple of Doug's forces, my overall battle could be described as lacking 'clutch'. When it came time to deliver the flag, I always seemed to fall short.

My final desperate move was to open my Rogue Hideout's exit in the back of Doug's left flank, where a green archer stood full exposed. I rode red cavalry through the new tunnel and reduced his archer to 1 unit with my roll. If you sense a pattern here, you are correct. Doug used another rogue card to hide that wounded unit in shadow. I likely should have kept trying with only 1 die, but instead I went further behind his line and tried to destroy another green infantry. Then, his wounded red cavalary rode through the healing pool, and fully refreshed, they decimated two blue dwarven infantry in a row.

Final score:
Doug 6
Josh 2

We went on to another match, very much enjoying the customized war councils. Now, we want to figure out the best way to customize a scenario and armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gagan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to count the giant as 2 rather than 1 point in the War Council determination. He's a might tougher than that spider, I reckon. Nice report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I totally agree that you need to jump straight to the War Council scenarios. I started with one of the scenarios with pre-made councils to warm up, but any scenario before that and you aren't even playing BattleLore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently me and a friend have played about 3 scenarios, of 4 games. We've been starting slowly since we have no prior C&C experience (though I would've been more than willing to start with more advanced stuff.)

The most recent scenario involved level 1 wizards... did make the game more interesting, ah, being torn between waiting for a 'Surround' to use all four of my archers with Magic Missiles, or use it now with two... I went with 'now', I did get to devastate some Heavy Cavalry.

Oh well, gotta get hip-deep into it next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wheeler
United States
Ammon
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgagan wrote:
Might want to count the giant as 2 rather than 1 point in the War Council determination. He's a might tougher than that spider, I reckon. Nice report.

You would think that, but over the course of the two games in which we used him, he was not any more or less powerful than the spider, really. He was just...powerful in a different way. And his slowness is what really balances him in comparison to the spider's ability to move 4.

I definitely think the rulebook should include a little note that says, "If you are familiary with Memoir '44 or C&C, start with this scenario. I think scenario 5 or 6 is a good starting point to start playing what I consider 'real' Battlelore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgagan wrote:

Actually, you are right. DoW has ruleds in such a way on the BattleLore forums. Green creature takes up 1 level, blue creatures 2 levels. Presumably, when there are red creatures around, they will take up 3 levels but it wasn't mentioned in the DoW posts.

Christian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.