Popular Tags: [View All]
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played this with 3 player after having played with both 4,5,and 6. I really liked how quickly the game goes with large number of players and I was expecting the same with 3 or even quicker. But I quickly realized that our game with 3 would take much longer than 5 or 6 simply because everyone is spread out more.. and there are no easy and quick temples to destroy. In hindsight, I suppose it'll be easier to collect VP through building cities, temples, and occupying sea spaces.. Also I noticed that in our game, one person was prone to get ganged up by the other two..

We did play with the rule that we play up to 10VP with 3 player but we just didn't manage to finish it.. Each of us were spending way too long analyzing their moves. Is this common feelings amongst people here?

What is the ideal number of players? I was looking forward to play this with 2 but now I think that'll take too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I think 5 is a good number. And with 2, I'd recommend the variant which is floating around here somewhere. The map is halved in that scenario, and things get quite cramped quite quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually consider Antike to be a, "the more the merrier" type of game. Even with four, I've seen players too easily able to ignore each other since there is so much expansion room.

I've been disappointed by the playout with four players, as I've seen a player get three kings without any substantial conflict with other players. I've never seen that happen in a five or six player game, where space is at a premium, and the kings disappear quickly.

I like five or six players. It ensures that there will be enough contact to keep things a bit more interesting. Just my take on it though.

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having only played this with the full compliment, I'd have to say its one of my favorite 6-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm more of a four player kind of guy, which is why I designed this 2 player variant that mimics the dynamics in a four player game:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1108381#1108381

TT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chase
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
For me, the sweet spot is three or four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As is apparent from the diversity of responses, opinion varies. If you like conflict, more is probably better--if you dislike conflict, less is ideal. Somewhere in between allows for a mix.
I personally really dig 4. Gives you maximal choice--militarism is viable, as is pacifism (depending on the flow of the game, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*ideal* number? Easy - 3 to 6.

It'll take longer with three, but it's still a great game.

Interestingly, I'm thinking that Imperial (Antike's new brother) suits 4-6 better. Even more interestingly, the game length is pretty much bang on 3 hours HOWEVER many players there are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cieślarczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
I like to play Antike for 2 Players with only one Nation for each player (without double colors), it's only one condition: they must start the game not so far from each other, not in the edges of the map.

Game for 3 players is not very good. Too much space, game ended too fast even in 12 VP winner condition.

For 4-6 Players this game is the best. Small space, fight for cities and temples, and at last Diplomacy!

My opinion is that a winner condition is too small. They may be a more points to conquest. When all the ancient persons ended (and only then), then a players gets points only for a destroyed temples. This method is quite good to improve limit of victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played two four-player games, but it would seem that at least five would give the most balanced play on the Occident map. With four, there is a relatively large gap in the southwest corner that allows the Romans breathing room while the Phoenicians (which I had the pleasure of being both times) are in a corner penned in by the Greeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.