Popular Tags: [View All]
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister took us on a wee mystery family excursion to an 'escape game' in Edinbrough today.

Well I might be way behind the curve here but I've never heard of 'escape games' before. So it's like one of those locked in a room online games but in real life. In short we were locked in a room and had 60 mins to escape by completing a series of puzzles which led to new puzzles and more.

Our game had the very cool semi-historical theme of investigating Dr Knox, who bought bodies from Edinburgh favourite murderers Burke and Hare. Was great fun, we escaped with 17 seconds to spare - with a bit of cheating luck on the final combination lock. The chap running it said the record to beat was 46 mins but was set by a group who consider themselves professional escape gamers.

Watching my father lying on his back while savagely dismantling a desk was a highlight.

https://www.dr-knox.com
(Site doesn't give anything away - the room design is very fine)

Anyone else played an escape game? Should I consider my gaming quota was Sunday fulfilled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet, but I'm booked in for ClueQuest a week today! In fact this time next week we'll just be starting! Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
I'm booked in for ClueQuest a week today

Cracking!

I see that it's currently the top London attraction on trip advisor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
My city has one of these, and it's zombie themed. I neeeeeeeed to try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a lot of fun and, wow, I never looked into exit game rooms but there are 10 near me - well, 7 that are especially close.
I have no excuses, must go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did one in Denver that was OK, but some of the other ones I've seen look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Anyone else played an escape game?

I'm only here because I escaped from Pandora's Box, but that was long ago and the details are sketchy. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually did my second one today (first one was in march), there's over 200 places just in the Netherlands now, so may have to try a couple more :-)
Escaped both times with about 20 minutes left, got a smart bunch of friends, curious if we'll ever strike out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did one in Zürich, was fun, but not sure if I'd do that one with more than 3 people as it might become too easy and too few stuff to do at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This thread might be of interest

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1334533/curious-about-escape...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Escape Rooms, if you enjoy live puzzle solving with friends, check out this site:
http://www.puzzledpint.com/about/

Apparently there are two groups in London, but that's the closest to Scotland... but the past puzzles are online and you can print them out and solve them with friends. Our team usually solves all 5 puzzles in 1 to 2 hours while drinking pints and having a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did one in Ottawa a few months ago and didn't care for it much. I was expecting more puzzle solving, more riddles, instead it was just scrambling in the prison cell trying to find as many things as possible and trying any random combination.

That being said, I heard that some other challenges are much better. A friend in Montréal has done quite a few over there and enjoys them a lot.
I'll have to give it a second chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.