Josh

Sydney
NSW
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how many people are familiar with Culdcept (available on the PS2 in North America, and on other platforms in Japan), but it's a mix of Monopoly style development and CCG battles... I've enjoyed the game a great deal, and am looking forward to the online enabled 360 version, but would really like a similar game to play with real world friends.

Anyone familiar with the game have any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I *am* familiar with the game, and I've been playing it a lot recently. I cannot think of a physical board game that is really similar, though - I can think of dozens of roll-and-move property games, I can think of dozens of fantasy CCGs or card-driven games that have CCG-like gameplay. But outside of Culdcept, I've never seen the two cross paths.

Maybe if you're more specific about what elements you'd consider 'essential' and what elements you consider 'disposable' it's be easier to find a game that suits your preferences. Is roll-and-move essential? Economic/property management? Fantasy? Pre-game deck construction?

I'd be a little concerned a game anything like Culdcept, as a board game, would get too bogged down in number-crunching and detail. The console versions are fun because you don't need to keep track of how many hitpoints each creature has and you don't need to calculate healing amounts, toll amounts, lap bonuses, symbol 'stock market' effects, and so forth on the fly - the game does all the otherwise-tedious math for you.

You realize you can play your PS2 Culdcept with your real-world friends, right? I'm pretty sure you can even hot-seat off a single controller if that's all you have. Sure, you lose the partial-veil-of-secrecy as your opponents get as good a look at your hand as they like (vs the computer, you get glances but not a good look unless you play a card like Shatter or Mesmerize - pretty sure the CPU AI plays with perfect knowledge of your hand contents)... but if you want to play a Culdcept-like game against your real world friends, play Culdcept against your real-world friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh

Sydney
NSW
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response

I've been out of board gaming for quite some time--mainly due to a lack of people to play with--but have now found myself, quite surprisingly, in a school with quite a few gamers. Thus, I'm eager to return to one of the hobbies from my youth, and came across this website a few days ago... already ordered a few recent (ie, since I stopped collecting) releases that look up my alley, including Twilight Imperium and RR Tycoon.

More than anything, I just wish there was a direct board game version of Culdcept. My key elements are certainly the pre-game construction (though I'm definitely not interested in an actual TCG; my interest in those died with the death of SWCCG), the depth/variety, and the property management (especially the blend of colors, stock investment, and a changing field). You're right, of course, about the number crunching... though it seems that with some tokens, a decent map, and some trackers to monitor the stock value as the game progresses, you could potentially pull it off.

As for playing the electronic version with friends, it's just not the same thing, IMO, as playing over a physical game. Again, I'm completely psyched for the 360 version (I would have imported it, if I could read a lick of Japanese) and online play... I just want something similar to play with physically...

Thanks again for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.