Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Palermo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Hey Paul,

Enjoying your game, but have a rules question.

I understand from 9.1 that if you enter a EZOC in the movement phase you must have combat, and I also understand from 9.3 that you must attack when you find an enemy adjacent in your combat phase. Mandatory attacks do not take place when your unit is shattered or if the odds are worse than 1:3. Otherwise, in your combat phase you must attack an adjacent enemy.

Am I correct from this interpretation of 9.3 that if you are the phasing player under a breastwork marker for example (and not shattered) and trying to be defensive, that you must perform a mandatory attack as the phasing player as long as the odds are 1:3 or better?

This seems to give a shattered unit (although weakened) a kind of advantage in that it could hold a defensive position better since it is not required to attack.

Is my interpretation correct?

Thanks.

Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Barber
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
As anything but an 'official' rules guy on this system I'll take a stab at it, just based on common sense. I'd think that a 'reasonable' interpretation would be that if you can't attack, due to low odds or being Shattered, you should probably be forced to Retreat 'as' your combat. Otherwise, as you point out, being weak and/or shattered is actually a defensive advantage, which I'd hardly would be any design intent. Just my interpretation, however.

Likewise, I'd think it reasonable that if you're occupying a completed breastwork, you should probably be exempted from 'Mandatory' attack in your own combat phase. You are, after all trying to defend that ground, and certainly can attack out of it if that's your intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Koenig
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Several rules are potentially in play here. First, a shattered unit cannot attack, period. If a shattered unit is adjacent to the enemy at the start of it's turn it must retreat per 9.19 UNLESS it occupies "no retreat" terrain, such as woods, sunken road, town, or breastworks. In this case, the mandatory retreat is cancelled by the no retreat terrain and the unit stays in place (if you wish) without attacking.

However, If the unit is NOT shattered, it must attack or retreat. It cannot sit idle. So, yes, this is an anomaly in the rules that theoretically allows a shattered unit to hold a defensive position that a full strength unit would be obliged to assault out of.

You may, as a house rule, implement a mandatory back off by the unit during the movement phase (technically not a retreat because it is during movement not combat), but that would be an unofficial rule change. Officially, units can be forced to retreat, but not "back off." The reason the shattered unit is allowed to stay and not attack is because of 12.5(4), which clearly states it CANNOT attack and cannot ENTER an EZOC. In your situation, it never "entered." It was already there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.