Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again I've decided to finish my weekend by trying a solo play with 4 investigators, just for fun. But this time it was REALLY fun, because I've won!!! For the first time I decided to play against Yog-Sothoth.

I decided to use Charlie, with the idea of staying in cities just acquiring assets and giving it to everyone. Also decided to use Silas, telling myself "Silas will take care of the bottom of the board. He'll manage the seas, I'll take care of the rest with the other guys."

The third choice was Diana, hoping to find and move cultists to discard all monsters from the space and also because her initial spells are good. And finally, Jin was there, because his stats are solid and his initial spells are good to.

This was the first game, I think, that I didn't use Akachi to go and close gates and teleporting all around. And I didn't read the ancient one card before. If I did, then I would ABSOLUTELY NOT choose Akachi... ^^

The game started and the first mystery was "Where the old ones broke through". I started reading it and, since I've playing this so hard for the last few weeks, I was already assuming I would have to close gate and discard clues. I was looking where the clues were on board and then the letters from the mystery card reached my brain and I though: "... wait....". When I noticed that I should use spells, I got REALLY REALLY glad for choosing that team of investigators! They were all in reach to get in Arkham and Buenos Aires, both spaces that have great chance to give spells! In the first two rounds I stayed with the four guys there, 2 in each place. I got a lot of spells, including Blessing of Isis for Diana in the second round. Also, got great items for all.

In the third round, it was time to go and close things. Diana had 5 spells on her (blessing of isis would NEVER be discarded, of course ^^) and Jin had 3. There was a gate in Sidney and, since Diana was in Buenos Aires, she went there and used the Blessing of Isis to improve her chance in this gate

Up there, Jin and Charlie left Arkham to go London, where Jin would close the gate and discard two spells. Silas was going up there to try and give it a hand.

The third Mythos brought "The Wind Walker" rumour, and that Epic Monster appeared on space four, between Arkham and San Francisco. Now, Jin closed the gate in London and Diana closed the gate in Sidney. I though I would have to deal with that rumour now... after all, after 4 reckonings everyone would receive 6 damage. I didn't even bother with the delayed thing.. .we would probably be dead after 6 damage anyway ^^

I was thinking in where to go now. Jin, Silas and Charlie were near the Epic Monster, but none of them are really good fighters. The idea was to get them all in the same place for Diana to bless everyone. However, I've noticed that in the Reserve there was that great Agency Quarantine. I though: "Well... Charlie get this one, deal 4 damage in the Epic Monster and now we would have only to deal 2 damage in it."

But the next mystery came, and it was "The Beyond One", asking for us to resolve 4 research encounters and spend the clue gained on top of the mystery. I got worried... it would take too long to everyone to go kill the monster and after that get the clues. And we should go everyone to help with bonus, spells, items, anything, because none of us were great fighters.

And the round started, Charlie as the lead investigator did the acquire asset and got the required 4 to grab Agency Quarantine. Right when I was about to get the 4 damage token near the board to place it in the Wind Walker, my eyes crossed Tokyo... I remembered that Most of (I guess actually all of) the encounters in there are solved by influence... and they cause damage in any monsters in the board... and it does include Epic Monster!! But Tokyo was overrun by monsters. An invasion had just happened in there. And then I read the Agency Quarantine with higher attention... ^^ I used it in Tokyo. Got rid of all of the monsters in there. Charlie was near Arkham, he would be in Tokyo after two rounds. I decided then to bring Diana to Tokyo to close the gate that was there, and then I would wait for Charlie, bless him, and let him be there dealing damage to The Wind Walker.

Since I've decided to not go to the epic monster, I brought Silas back to the ocean to collect the clues there, while Jin would be closing clues in Europe. Now, before Charlie and Jin would part ways, they were in a city space with a clue, and Charlie could get a dark pact and a Nechronomicon to get this clue. Charlie did it. And in the next phase gave the necronomicon to Jin, so he could gather spells since I was noticing that spells are key to defeat this Ancient One.

The game kept going. Charlie got to Tokyo and Jin was trying to get a clue in the Pyramids. But after 2 rounds, he got nothing. Not only that, but he also got cursed! I then decided that I should meet with Diana, so she could "Bless" him, just to remove his Cursed condition. But he would not get there right now and he had the option to try and get a clue in there also. It was an observation -1, so only one die and cursed... I rolled that dice with the lowest of hopes and I got it! I got the clue and a tome artifact, that ended up being King James Bible, that adding it to Jin's skill would make me get up to 3 sanity points by turn!

I forgot to mention, but since I noticed how good the strategy to get to Tokyo for this particular mystery was, I didn't leave Tokyo with Diane, so there was Diane and Charlie, stationary in there, trying and sometimes managing to get damage in the epic monster, but also getting some damage in ourselves as well.

Then it came the most terryfing momment of the game. Silas tried to get the last clue to solve that mystery, and he could get it, by obtaining a Dark Pact. He did it! So we got the final clue. Mythos came, nothing that terrible... and the new and final mystery was Arcane Understanding, asking us to cast a spell, resolve its effects and then discard a clue and that spell to put an eldritch token in the mystery. Doing this 4 times, we would win the game!

But then the seventh mythos card came... and it was the Tide of Despair. And with its Reckoning, Silas had to pay the Dark Pact. He was devoured as a hero, by getting the final clue we needed (thank god Charlie wasn't devoured ^^).

But the worst part, was that the event asks for everyone to loose 2 health and 2 sanity, unless we discard the blessed condition. Now, maybe I did something wrong here. Thinking about it now, I could just remove the blessed condition and use Diana's Spell again and again... but I wasn't thinking straight. I decided to not discard it. But by doing that, Diana would be killed. HOWEVER, Charlie had the Flash Ward spell, and he used it to prevent Diana from loosing the 2 health. At least we could also discard it, along with a clue, and put an eldritch token on the mystery.

But it was not all of it! This was the 7th mythos of the game and that "Wind Walker Rumour" had only one eldritch token in it! It still had to be dealt 3 damage, and we had 3 people in Tokyo, so I thought it would be ok. Also, since phase 1 and 2 of this Ancient one consists in 9 cards and this was the seventh mythos, I knew I had a great chance of getting another rumour in the next mythos, so in the case we couldn't kill it in this round, we would not be all killed by a Reckoning effect.

However, we did kill it! Now all we had to do was to use spell and spent clue! I forget to mention, but I brought Norman Withers to substitute Silas, because he has high lore and would have great chance to complete the game.

Got them all in Tokyo. Diana used the Isis Spell to bless everyone (jin only lost his cursed, and also there is only 3 bless cards in the game, so I would prefer to give blessing to Norman after all.

Diana discarded the isis spell with a clue after blessing everyone, so we could put an Eldritch Token in the final mystery, and then traded her clues and her item to give 1 more Lore when solving lore spells, plus the Lucky Cigarretes that can add 1 number in a test, so we could really maximize our chances to complete it. All of it were sent to Norman.

After that, Jin used one of his 2 spells to place a third eldritch token, and then trade its other one to Norman. Norman did it, and all we had left was the final mythos!

This was funny... because the omen track came to a color that we had to go down 2 in the Doom Track, from 9 to 7. Then, Reckoning. The Dark Pact in Charlie was charged. He had to select someone to get devoured. As an imitation of the prior dark pact, he decided to sacrifice the guy that placed the last piece of the puzzle to solve the mistery. We will raise a statue for Norman in the future. Doom track is now on 6.

Looks like fate was messing with us, and now that we had solved the final mystery, both Diana and Charlie also lost their blessed conditon, just so we would have less points in the final score! And the event, was asking our lead investigator to get a dark pact or increase 2 on the doom track. I just decided to not finish the game in a dark pact condition, and increased the doom from 6 to 4. And the game ended!!!

It was fun... we only closed 3 portals and since we got that Isis spell right in the beginning, getting everyone blessed is really great. Also, looks like I got the perfect combination for this Ancient one, with really powerful investigators for spells. And also, after that, I think I will ALWAYS use Charlie. (when I got that "Fine Clothes" then, oh my god! ^^

But of course, I can't forget to thank the almighty "Dice Elder Gods"!

Sorry for the wall of text, but I am really excited! Took me over one hour to write this, and tomorrow I will share with everyone! Thank you all! Good night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! The game can be brutal, but that's part of what keeps us coming back. IMO playing two players with 4 investigators or solo with four investigators is the way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the same feeling. Played it first with 6 players, then 6 players again, then tried 8 (it was brutal....) and then I tried solo 2 investigators. This was too easy. So I started trying solo with 4 investigators and it is just amazing fun.

Thanks for reading and for the kudos. ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bradshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Johnnymaxx wrote:
then I tried solo 2 investigators. This was too easy.

In my experience, 2 is very much a luck based game. If location specific events (rumours or mysteries) spawn close to you, you can usually deal with them without too much difficulty. If they're a distance away, it can be horribly difficult. And certain monsters appearing early on (I'm looking at you, hound of Tindalos) can pretty much kill the game.

I play the odd solo, 2 investigator game, mainly because it can be wrapped up so much quicker, but 4 is my preferred number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Shrugs
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Great write-up! Thanks for the report.

I had that 'cast-a-spell' Mystery as my last one in my most recent game against Yog. Thought I had the game in the bag--completed it with more Doom remaining than there were corresponding Gates. Believing the world was safe, my two investigators breathed a sigh of relief. Patrice even chose to become Delayed while relaxing at a country estate. Sure, why not?

Then that #$@% Zombie Horde in Egypt bumped Doom juuuust one more jot. Yog yawned and stretched and brushed his eldritch teeth and commenced to devour all time and space.

But it was all under control. Really. I had a whole two turns to solve the Final Mystery. All Patrice needed to do was reach Arkham... and all she needed to do it was one more ship ticket. Just. One. More. Than. I. Could. Possibly. Buy.

Fittingly, her final encounter involved people showering her with train and ship tickets, just as it was too late to accomplish anything. I couldn't help picture her running frantically around the docks, still in holiday clothes, screaming that she had to get aboard...

Moral of the story: Don't ever trust this game. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.