Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

i´m new to the gaming hobby.

i was looking for thematic solo coop games.

and then it started:

i found zombicide
then shadows of brimstone
then the zombicide BP KS
then MYth KS
then middarra KS
then D&D temple of elemental evil
then GEars of war
then Galaxy defenders
then super dungeon explore
then Arcadia quest...

puhhhhh

so now i spend A LOT of money in 2 weeks, i hope i will not find new games :)

ahh i found project elite and bought that ks too
and i just found out about the upcoming KS abyss,a dungeon crawl with cards, which sounds great

help me please :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mb
Simply play before buy. Don't buy new games unless you played the ones you already own 1, 3, 5... times.

I use to restrict myself for games with lots of expansions - only one X-Wing expansion when I get a monthly magazine from the game store; a new Memoir 44 expansion when all the scenarios from the previous one have been played...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds good, but the problem is the games are only available a short period of time.

after that they sky rocket with the price on ebay.

or if you miss KS you will not get the exclusives or have to buy a much higher price.

some games seems to be OOP after 1 year :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Shelley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
They call him Cuban Pete..
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:

5 year geek veteran microbadge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't restrict myself, hence my storage problems in the flat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
sounds good, but the problem is the games are only available a short period of time.

You are overestimating the effect of between-prints and out-of-print.

The Games are available all the time. A certain game may become hard to get, but if it is good enough, there will be a reprint down the line. And if a game isn't as good as the hype, copies will be available, or you can skip it altogether.

Which games have been only available for a short period?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the more I play games the less new games I buy. It is a matter, for me anyway, of assuming that buying a game buys the time that you will use for gaming. Which it does not. So I dig into games and then work out new strategies and go over the games I have played which keeps my obsessive brain busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimrod Becker
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to hold myself at 1 per month. Be it KS or at the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRealDC wrote:
cador2 wrote:

5 year geek veteran microbadge?

just registerd 5 years ago.

started to buying games 2 weeks ago :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't restrict myself in the sense that if I am sure the game will get played and I can find it at a decent price, I'll buy it at some point. One saving grace is that I usually ask for games as gifts for birthday, Christmas and other occasions.

There is no denying though that a considerable part of me is a collector, but I can live with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Around 100 per month
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the constant lookout for games, but I will only consider buying if
a) the game suits one of my groups - theme, mechanisms, number of players supported, and playtime
b) it is sufficiently different to what already gets played - so that it will be able to get to be played instead
c) it has the potential to be rated 8 or higher by me

I bought basically two new games last year (Star Realms and Imperial Assault), although quite a few expansions. Ascension: Apprentice Edition counts as an expansion (and one copy was a gift), because I had a lot of Ascension already.

This year I have bought Eminent Domain used, just to get to try it out, knowing it won't be played much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mb
cador2 wrote:

or if you miss KS you will not get the exclusives or have to buy a much higher price.

So what? Your lifetime is limited. You haven't enough time to
... read every good book
... watch every good movie
... listen to every good album

or play every good game.

You'll miss something all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Vonderwalde
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself with the same problem. I buy too many games for the time I have to play them.

The problem for me started when I subscribed to the "hot deals" threads. I will usually only buy a game now if I really like it, if I get a great deal on it, or if I buy it second hand for a good deal.

I looked up the value of my collection the other day and it turns out it has retained its value really well. The mean worth of my collection was actually a little higher than what i spent on it...the problem is I've spent quite a bit on it anyway!

For now, i have a list of games I can comfortably buy without trying because I know they'll get played - any other game, I want to try before buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for starters avoid kickstarter games, most are rubbish, they just try and tempt you with bling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good/ essential trick that took me a while to learn when I first began buying board games was to understand the difference between expectation and reality.

When looking at reviews of others, it's easy to see how good a game is, with all the mechanics integrating and all, and it might be true that the game IS a good game, but none of this matters if the game mechanic is not something your usual gaming group enjoys.

Another similar note would be on player count. A game may be awesome with 4, and in your mind you can imagine how good the game might play out with your buddies... but if your usual gaming sessions only consist of 3 players, with 4p being sort of a once-per-year-if-lucky thing, then it's best to put that game out of your mind. It's also good to check if the game plays well for your gaming group no. (eg: A game that is phenomenal with 5p may be really bad with only 3)

Remember, your gaming experience is only as good as how well the game is accepted in your gaming group. No point having a REALLY good game if you have no one to play with.

On regards to KS/ limited time games though, I usually make do with a "trade-off system", whereby I'll compare X, Y and Z (even if they are all different genres) and force myself to only pick one out of the three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe logging plays and taking part in BGG Challenges would encourage playing more than buying. such as Alternative 2015 Challenge: Play 15 of your unplayed games in 2015 -- Now w/ microbadges!!! (and others in Alternative 2015 Challenge Lists).

I'm taking part in:
mb A1bert's 2015 Challenge: Play 10 Games 10 Times Each, Hardcore - My Entry on the Challenge Geeklist (93%)
mb A1bert's 2015 (Mostly) Solo Challenge: Play 10 Games 10 Times Each, Normal (finished)
mb - 15x15 in 2015 Challenge (finished, microbadge pending)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
r0t1prata wrote:
Around 100 per month

Games or dollars. Bwa ha ha ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
UCP Boardgamer wrote:
I don't restrict myself, hence my storage problems in the flat

I bought more shelves. Worked wonders.
That reminds me - I have to visit IKEA soon ... meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you married?

Edit: Looking through my collection gained over the past 3 years, I've spent about $100 per year (although it's increased through the years), but I think $100 per year is a good number for me personally. Know your favorite games, pick games you imagine you'll get to the table and create a budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to do a reasonable amount of research about a game and then think consider whether I really want the game and who I'm going to play it with. As others have said there isn't really any rush to buy games. Yes they might go out of print but they'll probably be another print run and certainly be lots of other games instead. I have a list of 5-10 games I would like, I have a decent idea how each of them work and a good idea who I would be able to play each of them with. I might buy some thing year or I might not and put them on my Christmas list. I have Haggis, Hanabi, Race for the Galaxy, Priests of Ra, The Resistance expansions all of which I haven't played enough yet and there are other games I've not mentioned + games belonging to friends so I don't really need any more games at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cador2 wrote:

I'm working through the same problem and what I try to tell myself these days is just being a "good game" isn't enough. There are lots of "good games" out there and you will go crazy and or broke if you try to buy every one.

Nowadays I try to ask myself, is there a reason I 'need' this, is it sufficiently different and better than what I have, is it really going to get played or just take up shelf space - seems obvious to think this but doesn't always work that way and 'ohhh, shiny' can take over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I restrict myself by not earning infinite amounts of money.

Pete (probably would cheap out a lot even if he did)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually you will run out of space to keep them and/or will start realizing that you don't ever play 1/2 your games. At that point, if you're like me, you'll start becoming much more picky. Or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Gilbert
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going through this myself right now. I'm 2 months into the hobby and have amassed a large collection in short order. I have now put a hard budget on myself for a monthly spend. I'm now spending time that I would have spent shopping building my list of games that I'd like to get, putting them in order of importance, researching their costs, and watching for sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.