Gus
Spain
Valladolid
Castilla y León
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Because it was sometime I had not payled, for refresh the rules, I have choose the deck of Leadership from the core and the Passage Through Mirkwood scenario. I am a noob in this game so I must re-start from the beginning . I'll start with the three Heroes, Aragorn, Théodred and Gloin. Only one card of Gandalf in the deck (but he did not appear).

Turn 1 - Into the forest. It seems a nice place, only a few spiders. A Snowbourn Scout comes to help. We explore in the mission and advance. We found some tracks about a place called Necromancer's Pass. Fights the spiders but do not kill them, so Gloin defends and take 2 wounds.

Turn 2 - A Silverlode Archer comes down from the trees (we must seem lost) and offers help. But soon appears our first problem: the Dol Guldur Beastmaster. Argh, we are afraid, we scream, and then appear another fellow: Faramir. It was picking mushrooms and heard our cries. He guide us to successfully hide from the Beastmaster. He is as deaf as a post. We killed the spiders and we approached the back of the Beastmaster. But something had heard our cries.

Turn 3 - The Ungoliant's Spawn descend from a web and attacks us. The Silverlode Archer is dead, but his Valiant Sacrifice help us (not much, really). The Ungoliant's Spawn takes 4 wounds, and the Beastmaster attacks our heroes. In this moment, I have 35 of threat.

Turn 4
- A friend of Silverlode Archer join us, he is too an Archer of the same place. He knows a path directly to the Necromancer's Pass, so we trust him. All we travel (Faramir + 3 Heroes + Archer). We have a plan called Grim Resolve (ready all character cards in play). 12 of will. But then, reveals a Treachery. The Necromancer has seen us!sauron

The Necromancer's Reach is powerful, the Archer is dead. In the combat, Faramir defend Beastmaster, Aragorn defend The Ungoliant's Spawn. All right, I have another plan: use Common Cause with Théodred and recover Aragorn, which have still 1 point of live. With his attack and Gloin we'll kill this enormous spider. But then appears the shadow card from The Ungoliant's Spawn: East Bight Patrol (Shadow: Attacking enemy gets +1 Attack). shake Argghhh, my leader is dead!

Final of the turn 4:

Turn 5 - 36 of thread. nobody going to the mission, we are shocked by the dead of our leader. Then appear another Necromancer's Pass. A city Guard help us (he is lost too from his squad). But we can not help him, he is devoured by the Ungoliant's Spawn while Faramir succumbs to the Beastmaster. This is our situation in this moment, with only our heroes standing:

Turn 6 - Another Snowbourn Scout come to help us. He is bleeding and behind him appears his pursuer: another Guldur Beastmaster. It appears that the charge is divided between the two orcs. Only Théodred is alive, but with three deep wounds. All is lost:

Turn 7 - Appears a lot of Eyes of the Forest, presumably to gloat over the carnage. Théodred has a glorious death.

Conclusion
: I think I had a bit of bad luck, in 4 turns appears the 2 deadliest monsters of this scenario. And the key point I think was the East Bight Patrol, if not, Aragorn and Gloin had killed The Ungoliant's Spawn.

In any case, a re-start really, really fun that makes me want to play more. Next time, I will take a map!

Edit: His name is Théodred, not ThRéoded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch - with card draws like that, all i can offer is my sympathy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nicol
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
That sounds like a fun game, though I offer commiseration for your defeat.

Passage Through Mirkwood is quite a difficult scenario with only core player cards, especially when Ungoliant's Spawn arrives early in the game. And don't even mention Caught in a Web in my presence!

That's a cool playmat by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus
Spain
Valladolid
Castilla y León
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yesterday play another try, with the same deck, and Aragorn was Caught in a Web in the second turn . Defeated again in turn seven, this time by thread 50.

I keep trying, because despite losing I have a great time playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nicol
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
For the first several games I played I thought that Caught in a Web could be removed permanently by paying 2 resources. I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Imagine my dismay when I realised that only Miner of the Iron Hills can permanently remove it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus
Spain
Valladolid
Castilla y León
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think it's a powerful card for the Shadow. I tried to give resources to Aragorn with Théodred , but the truth is that this makes it difficult to advance in the exploration of the places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jnicol wrote:
For the first several games I played I thought that Caught in a Web could be removed permanently by paying 2 resources. I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Imagine my dismay when I realised that only Miner of the Iron Hills can permanently remove it...

Sloblock!

Just found another rule that I've been playing wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nicol
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
Sloblock!

I had to look that one up. What a great swearword!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus
Spain
Valladolid
Castilla y León
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first victory alone
Today, after 11 plays, I have won my first solo game . It had been with the Leadership Deck of the Core, again in the first scenario.

Bad and good luck in the 1 turn, bad because Gloin was Caught in a Web, and after defend the first spiders, he didn't make anything in the rest of the travel. Good because the only Gandalf in my deck was in my hand. The thread was under control, and I was able to bring it to table twice, thanks to the card Sneak Attack.

Finally my score have been:

33 of Thread + 3 wounds + 9 turnsx10 = 126.

After kill Ungoliant's Spawn (we chose the wrong path) that's how were my heroes and allies:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.