Subject: KALLAX vs EXPEDIT rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan
United States
ATX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are embarking on some home renovations, and one of the things that will come in the next few months is a proper game room. And I'll be looking for a good shelving system.

I know that Tom, and other game collectors love IKEA's EXPEDIT line, which is sadly out of production. The replacement seems to be the KALLAX line, which looks to be the same thing, but is FAR more limited in color options.

Other than the colors, though, has anyone used these shelves? Are they sturdy, good for certain game sizes (It seems that the Ticket to Ride 10th Anniversary/Tannhauser sized boxes may fit in the shelves)?

Thanks in advance... I may be coming back for recommendations on tables as well... Just know I can't afford a Geek Chic table, though I REALLY wish I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rye0077r wrote:
My wife and I are embarking on some home renovations, and one of the things that will come in the next few months is a proper game room. And I'll be looking for a good shelving system.

I know that Tom, and other game collectors love IKEA's EXPEDIT line, which is sadly out of production. The replacement seems to be the KALLAX line, which looks to be the same thing, but is FAR more limited in color options.

Other than the colors, though, has anyone used these shelves? Are they sturdy, good for certain game sizes (It seems that the Ticket to Ride 10th Anniversary/Tannhauser sized boxes may fit in the shelves)?

Thanks in advance... I may be coming back for recommendations on tables as well... Just know I can't afford a Geek Chic table, though I REALLY wish I could.
Loads and loads of people use them, plenty of discussion around if you look. They work great,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The road is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind.
badge
I taught my dog to play Mage Knight... good dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rye0077r wrote:

I know that Tom, and other game collectors love IKEA's EXPEDIT line, which is sadly out of production. The replacement seems to be the http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00305794/ line, which looks to be the same thing, but is FAR more limited in color options.

Check How to build a gameroom GL item #11 for some discussion on my shelf considerations.

KALLAX is the same as Expidit minus some extra border on the outside. Interior dimensions are the same as the old.

There are some other options discussed in the comments as well. I'm going the Kallax option when I get to IKEA next. (in a few months) I can't tell you how well they work yet. There is a unique one that can hold some wider boxes but depends on your setup if it fits your layout. I'll be getting it. (picture on the GL)

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Bellemare
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
SHINY !!
badge
AAAAAAAAAARRRRGGG!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The expedit were nice, but the differences are not that big in the new Kallax, and if you buy one today and need another one in a year, you'll find Kallax still available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here's a shot of KALLAX shelves in my living room, so you can easily see the sizes that fit. I've been very happy with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
ATX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bikefreak wrote:
Check How to build a gameroom GL item #11 for some discussion on my shelf considerations.

Thanks for posting the link! I remember seeing this GL, but didn't remember where to look!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
ATX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnad2006 wrote:
Here's a shot of KALLAX shelves in my living room, so you can easily see the sizes that fit. I've been very happy with them.

Very nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Grenon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a 4x4 Expedit and Kallax and I don't really notice a difference between the two. The Kallax has been excellent storage for my board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not understand the love for Expedit/Kallax.

I'm BILLY all the way. There are two depths, and the deeper one is perfect for a standard box, and the shallow one great for smaller boxes and 'bookcase' games.

And since you have fewer partitions you can fit more games onto them.

I'm at around 1600 games now, and have tried lots of different storage solutions, and Billy has by far been the best option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:

I'm BILLY all the way. There are two depths, and the deeper one is perfect for a standard box, and the shallow one great for smaller boxes and 'bookcase' games.

I'm at around 1600 games now, and have tried lots of different storage solutions, and Billy has by far been the best option.

Have you had any issues with the shelves bowing? That's the only possible advantage to the Expedit/Kallax since there is less room between the supports for each shelf. I don't own either yet but I hope to buy some soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
engelstein wrote:

Have you had any issues with the shelves bowing? That's the only possible advantage to the Expedit/Kallax since there is less room between the supports for each shelf. I don't own either yet but I hope to buy some soon.
I also use BILLY bookshelves for games; yes, there is some bowing of the shelves. However, it's not really noticeable, especially if the shelves are full, it's not really an issue in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
ATX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, Geoff. Billy is actually what I have been using and I like them, EXCEPT it does not have enough shelves. The particular unit I have contains 3-4 shelves, but one is mounted in the center (unmoveable) so if I adjust a couple of shelves for a certain size, I inevitably end up with shelf space that's too large...

However, it appears that IKEA sells individual shelves, which would solve that problem, so I may have been using my gaming storage solution all along! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rye0077r wrote:
Thanks for the input, Geoff. Billy is actually what I have been using and I like them, EXCEPT it does not have enough shelves. The particular unit I have contains 3-4 shelves, but one is mounted in the center (unmoveable) so if I adjust a couple of shelves for a certain size, I inevitably end up with shelf space that's too large...

However, it appears that IKEA sells individual shelves, which would solve that problem, so I may have been using my gaming storage solution all along! meeple
My Billy units indeed has extra shelves added in. However, I still shake my head at what they charge for a package of two shelves; grumble and buy anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
And I don't know how a boardgamer could pick Billy over Kallax/Expedit, Geoff. Those squares are PERFECT. I have ten games that don't fit nicely into them, out of hundreds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention how Kallax/Expedit have those nifty coordinating modular drawers you can use to neatly store all those little games that would otherwise spill all over a shelf (the drawers are also great for storing extra dice and other game components too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
ATX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SD40 wrote:
My Billy units indeed has extra shelves added in. However, I still shake my head at what they charge for a package of two shelves; grumble and buy anyway.

Yeah... Oh well. It's less expensive than buying an entirely new shelving unit. And the Billy would be MUCH better for storing all my RPG tomes!

However, it looks like one of the 2 colors of KALLAX (Birch) should match my 2 Billys, so I may grab one anyway to add a little variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Come on Batman! Pull your weight!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned a 4x4 Expedit for many years, and recently bought a 4x2 Kallax. I stacked them next to each other, and you can see the Kallax is a little shorter. While that doesn't bother me, it may bother you. They're both equally sturdy:

As someone said earlier, if you're just starting to buy them now, you're better off with the Kallax, as they'll be available in the future should you need to expand.

*Edit - I should add that the shelf on the left is a $30 Target special. I don't recommend that, it is quite wibbly-wobbly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kallax is a godsend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
...BILLY ... but it's much shallower than expedit/ Kallax so standard game boxes will have overhang.
As Geoff mentioned, the Billy shelves come in two depths, the deeper one being 14 1/2" deep. (the other one is about 10 1/4"). So there's lots of depth there. I actually like a bit of overhang since it makes it easier to pull a game out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norrebo's were the best, sturdier than any other, and solid pine. If you can find used norrebo shelves grab them. I'm still trying to find more of them, but no luck. So sad Ikea discountinued those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Graham
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the OP, I have Kallax and they are amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M
United States
Hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two Kallax units, 2 x 4 size. I got two of those size instead of one large 4 x 4 unit so they're easier to move around, if/when we move or decide to re-arrange our game storage area.

They are very sturdy, and I'm very happy with the purchase. I'm probably going to get two drawer units to store bits and smaller games, and because I can't just buy one, since I need two to keep the symmetrical look of the shelves. The shelves are also short enough that I can store a few of my larger boxes on top of the units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Proud to run STAG - the Sevenoaks & Tonbridge Association of Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
I have replaced my excessively bowed BILLY shelves (five years after getting them) with the KALLAX shelves and I far prefer the new acquisition. They are much sturdier with the central spine and there are drawers available which both break up the high visual clutter of boardgame boxes and store card games really well (taking 20-30 Nimmt size boxes).

Only downside to KALLAX for me was that there was no 1x4 version, which would have really helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quayde wrote:
I have replaced my excessively bowed BILLY shelves (five years after getting them) with the KALLAX shelves and I far prefer the new acquisition. They are much sturdier with the central spine and there are drawers available which both break up the high visual clutter of boardgame boxes and store card games really well (taking 20-30 Nimmt size boxes).

Only downside to KALLAX for me was that there was no 1x4 version, which would have really helped.

They offer the 1x4 option here in the U.S. with Kallax. Our game area is in our attic and with the sloped ceiling, we couldn't fit a 4x4, so we put one 1x4 and one 2x4 unit stacked sideways to make a 3x4 unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Corey Jr.
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.thecubistpodcast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love my KALLAX shelving. I have a 4x4 and 5x5, and both are incredibly sturdy and perfectly sized for most boardgaming needs.

I found the dark colored ones looked the best with games in them... the contrast highlights the games better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.