Subject: Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gem Abed
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already an expansion and the game isn't even out yet?

I've never owned a FFG LCG before, so I don't know what the timing is between each expansion. Anyone have a rough estimate?

My only experience with a LCG/ECG is AEG's Doomtown, which is about six weeks between expansions, and when I bought the core set the first expansion was only announced--not out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LCGs typically receive a small 60-card expansion once a month, and then a larger expabsion (often around 200 cards and focused on specific factions) twice a year.
In practice, there are usually delays and we go some months without expansions. But, it seems like FFG is trying to get the first 60-card pack out within a month of the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Smith
msg tools
kraasn wrote:

I've never owned a FFG LCG before, so I don't know what the timing is between each expansion. Anyone have a rough estimate?

My only experience with a LCG/ECG is AEG's Doomtown, which is about six weeks between expansions, and when I bought the core set the first expansion was only announced--not out.

It's quite common for expansions for games like this to be designed waaaaayyy before the game ever releases. It's just a matter of when the companies wish to reveal them to the public. In fact, I assume they have 5 or 6 expansions already designed.

From the game design point of view, you probably would be better served not even looking at them as expansions. They typically design the game overall, as it will look with all the expansions added for about a year. Then they break that down into smaller, more palatable to purchase chunks, with the most important/staple cards released up front (things that you'll probably need in any good deck) with later releases focusing on cards that allow more specific strategies and cards that have a larger impact on the meta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kraasn wrote:

To be clear, the first expansion here is also only announced, and won't come out until after the core set's been out for a month (or more, depending on release schedules). The same as Doomtown, except I wouldn't be surprised if FFG announces the second Chapter pack before the core set hits selves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's usually even longer than normal between the Core Set and the first card pack. I'd expect around a 2.5 month gap, which was around what it was for Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skeith27 wrote:
It's quite common for expansions for games like this to be designed waaaaayyy before the game ever releases. It's just a matter of when the companies wish to reveal them to the public. In fact, I assume they have 5 or 6 expansions already designed.

Considering that the Chapter Pack Cycles are designed as a block, it's absolutely certain you're correct. They're probably well into playtesting the first Deluxe set, possibly even the second Chapter Pack cycle.

So, we can expect they'll announce a chapter pack basically once a month going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grindrod
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Azeltir wrote:
It's usually even longer than normal between the Core Set and the first card pack. I'd expect around a 2.5 month gap, which was around what it was for Netrunner.

It was far less than that for Conquest. They rushed the first couple of expansion packs out for that game. 3 released within the first ten weeks after the game came out if I recall correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.