Subject: Lost Relic - solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently the new Lost Relic scenario can be played just fine with base game components so I figured why wait.

I was playing Tovak and starting at lvl 3 I started with the resistance break skill, fire bolt AA and a blue and a red crystal. I then had 18 influence to spend. I purchased pure magic AA, whirlwind/tornado spell and herbalists unit.

This scenario uses open (3 columns) map, even for solo. The tiles revealed were 7, 4 and 2 (there were monastery, dungeon, mage tower, 2 villages and a green crystal mine showing).

I chose the mana steal tactic (stealing white mana) and became the 1st player.

1st turn. I activated herbalists to get green mana and played tranquility to draw 2 cards. One of them was stamina which I played to move next to some rampaging diggers (heading towards the mage tower and the villages). I challenged them to a fight, took 1 wound and used fire bolt (strong effect, (hereafter: s.e.)) to defeat them. An extremely wasteful turn for 2 fame!

2nd turn. Swiftness to move. Found out the mage tower was guarded by fire golems and chose to leave them alone.

3rd turn. Still problems with movement. Played improvisation (discarding mana draw) to get into village. Threaten (s.e.) + promise (s.e.) generated enough influence to heal the wound and recruit guardsmen.

4th turn. March (s.e.) to explore – found tile 9 (mage tower, keep and dungeon, all in wasteland). Stamina (s.e.) to assault mage tower, defended by ice golems. Guardsmen blocked the ice golems, resistance break skill reduced their armour to 2 and rage + rage killed them. I learned the snowstorm/blizzard spell. Level up: shield mastery skill and maximal effect AA.

5th turn. Maximal effect (throwing away march) to move and assault the keep, defended by guardsmen. Shield mastery skill blocked the guardsmen, snowstorm spell + cold toughness defeated them.

6th turn. Swiftness to explore – found tile 6 (red crystal mine and monster den). Concentration to generate blue mana. Pure magic (s.e., paying green mana) + whirlwind/tornado (sideways) to generate 8 move, moving through this hilly tile and exploring again – found tile 10 (ruins, keep and monster den).

7th turn. Crystallize, paying 1 white mana from source to gain a white crystal.

First hand of the night turn included again no movement but powerful attacks. I chose the midnight meditation tactics and became the 2nd player.

1st turn. Improvisation (s.e., discarding rage) to move and explore. I found a destroyed green city! There were ironclads blocking the way. I challenged them and defeated them with fire bolt (s.e.). A level up for increased hand size and unit slot.

2nd turn. Maximal effect (s.e., throwing away stamina) to move through the forest. I revealed that the relic was guarded by an ice dragon. I had just used up my only fire attack...

3rd turn. As in round 1, I activated herbalists to get green mana and played tranquility for 2 cards. Swiftness to move into the destroyed city. Ice dragon destroyed both the herbalists and the guardsmen! Mana draw to create 2 blue mana, crystallize (s.e.) to create a red crystal. Resistance break skill reduced ice dragon’s armour to 5, snowstorm spell + pure magic (paying red mana) + threaten (sideways) generated the 10 attack to kill the ice dragon. Level up: Arythea’s dark paths skill and blood rage AA.

Not happy with my draw (no movement and I still hadn’t found the 2nd relic) I used midnight meditation to redraw 3 cards, fortunately drawing stamina this time.

4th turn. Dark paths + stamina (s.e.) + promise (sideways) to move and explore. I found a destroyed red city! Swiftness + cold toughness (sideways) to move, I revealed that the relic was guarded by a high dragon.

5th turn. Dark paths to move into the destroyed city which also provoked nearby ironclads. Shield mastery skill + march (sideways) blocked the ironclads, whirlwind spell kept the high dragon from attacking. Concentration to get red mana. Blood rage (s.e.) for attack 9 which defeated the high dragon, also giving me a wound. A level up for increased armour and unit slot (not that I would need it).

6th turn. Dark paths + rage (sideways) to move to red crystal mine. At the end of the turn I got a red crystal.

51 fame (9 at the start, 31 from enemies, 7 from exploring, 4 from levelling up)
8 knowledge (2 spells, 4 advanced actions)
1 loot (2 crystals)
0 units (all still in frozen state in ice dragon’s lair)
4 conqueror (1 keep, 1 mage tower)
0 adventurer
-2 wounds (1 wound)
20 relics (5 for each + 10 for finding both)
5 time (End of Round not declared)

TOTAL: 87

I played quite suboptimally, wasting a lot of resources in the beginning, not getting any artifacts, not having enough crystals, not having any movement abilities. Thankfully, getting dark paths and blood range in the end proved to be very useful. I was lucky that the relics were on the first two core tiles and so eked out a win.

What I think of the scenario? I like it and would gladly play it again.

Firstly, the short play-time makes it a viable option when playing in real life with other people.

Secondly, the character creation in the beginning together with the three revealed tiles at the start creates a completely new strategic dimension.

Thirdly, I was actually worried that with the dragons essentially behaving as very weak cities the experience here would be too similar to the basic solo scenario, but this is not the case. An aspect that makes this scenario unique is that with less time and less enemies, luck doesn’t even out as much as it does in longer scenarios, making this mode quite dependent on it. Especially the core tile draws and the two dragon draws will have a huge effect on the outcome. And with just two rounds to get prepared, it is difficult to be ready for all the possible resistances and abilities.
This changes the strategic fabric a lot - you don't need things that can take out huge armies (whatever they consist of) but it's crucial to remain versatile and things that offer flexibility and universality are more precious than in longer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yan
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I beat you on the score in my first game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
Canada
flag msg tools
You mention a shorter play-time for this scenario; how long would you say it takes to play out?

I love MK, but I've only played it a few times (not in a long while), entirely because of the play-time required.

I'm sure this scenario would take me a lot longer than it would take a more experienced player, but if this cuts down the time by half or so, I could manage to get it to the table a lot more frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aquablak wrote:
You mention a shorter play-time for this scenario; how long would you say it takes to play out?

I love MK, but I've only played it a few times (not in a long while), entirely because of the play-time required.

I'm sure this scenario would take me a lot longer than it would take a more experienced player, but if this cuts down the time by half or so, I could manage to get it to the table a lot more frequently.

For comparison purposes, playing the normal solo conquest mode from the original game consists of 3 days and 3 nights. This one takes 1 day and 1 night. So other than the additional preparation time spent spending your first 3 levels worth of influence, I would imagine this one should be a half or a third as long.

Edit: I should add that i meant the "full" solo conquest. Obviously, the blitz conquest scenario would be shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
Canada
flag msg tools
bobacles wrote:
Aquablak wrote:

For comparison purposes, playing the normal solo conquest mode from the original game consists of 3 days and 3 nights. This one takes 1 day and 1 night. So other than the additional preparation time spent spending your first 3 levels worth of influence, I would imagine this one should be a half or a third as long.
Thanks for the reply!

Half to a third of the time sounds great. I wonder if one day and one night cycle would feel like a satisfying enough adventure. It almost sounds too short! Still, if this would get me to break the game out more often, it might just be worth a purchase!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.