Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
While I was busy trying to develop an intense strategic war based board game, I realized I will need to code it due to its size.

I tried python (and am still trying it out.) and kinda got a little stuck as I ran out of tutorials, and that the way python runs games is not really what I was looking for.

So I decided to go to Javascript, and immediately got stuck, couldn't find any good tutorials that were free.

So now I need some help, is there a really good place I can go to really learn how to code a boardgame using java?

All help is much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all: Are you looking for tutorials on Java or JavaScript? Despite the confusingly-similar names, Java and JavaScript are two separate languages with different rules.

Secondly, talking about "the way python runs games" makes me suspect you may have looked at one particular tutorial and incorrectly assumed that that was the only way to make a game. Pretty much any language you've heard of will let you make pretty much any game if you really want.

But if you want to get something running as quickly and painlessly as possible, you probably want to look for a specialized game development tool or library, rather than just a general language. The tool you choose may dictate your choice of language, but it isn't the same as that language. For example, Unity is a popular engine for making video games, and it works with the languages C#, JavaScript, or Boo, but it's possible to make games in any of those languages without using Unity, and it's even possible to do some stuff in Unity without writing a single line of code in any of those languages.

Third, let me emphasize that making a video game generally requires quite a bit more time, effort, and training than making a similarly-complex board game. Even a simple game will probably take you months of hard work. People who want to make video games often start by making a board game version ("paper prototype") because it's so much faster and easier.

If your your game can't be a board game because it's too large in scope, then it is NOT a good choice for your first computer game. I urge you to start with something small and simple so you can learn the ropes and understand what you're signing up for before you start on your magnum opus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Drew
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Game Designers of Carolina
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's unclear to me from your post whether you are looking for a way to create a video game version of a board game design or if you want to create a program to help with some aspect of your design.

Would you explain a little bit more what you are trying to do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry for not being specific, been kinda tired recently.

After giving some thought to it, Python may work, I didnt like how (from all that I have seen) You have to access a folder to get to the game, instead of having a launcher 'shortcut' on your desktop.
Sorry if this sounds stupid, I am a bit of a novice.

I want to smart small, with simple games with a small map (like risk, but small map, no new troops) and learn expand from there.

Java (not javascript, sorry for the confusion, again, ery tired due to lack of sleep. Staying up to late playing board games :/) is the language I would love to learn instead of python, as it is more widely used, and there are a lot more people who know it (who can help teach, or maybe help develop)

The game I want to make is complex due to everything you have to keep track of.

All that being said, a tutorial on how to make a board game using Java or Python would be great.

I hope the above helped

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mason
United States
Sacramento
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Ask me about Vassal.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you been to the Vassal Site yet?

Vassal is a program that will let you create and play almost any kind of boardgame or wargame over the internet.

They have over 1600 games to download and play.

Best of all, IT'S ALL FREE!!!

Check it out here:

HOMEPAGE

http://www.vassalengine.org

List of Games

"http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Category:Modules"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rearden
United States
Esparto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have, and I really like playing it.
What I am trying to do is to create and code my own though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Strebeck
United States
San Francisco
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
www.gamelawyerblog.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like you should be starting with much-less-demanding projects!

You could try something like Udemy to see if they have any courses in programming games. There's also Treehouse - https://teamtreehouse.com
Lots of tutorials there, with specific projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.