Hide
8 Posts

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Aliens: Barracks deck(s) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chase Eichler
msg tools
So once they announced predators it was pretty much confirmed that there would be a barracks deck with predator themed attacks and currency. Which is pretty awesome, but then I realised the same can't be done with aliens. I don't want to speak for everyone, but the alien deck that came with aliens legendary encounters was lame. It was non interactive, unfun for the surviving players and you never really got the feeling that you were playing as an alien.
With an alien expansion on the way, how many people are excited for a potential alien barracks deck?

Think about it. 4 player co-op, mix/match 3 objectives (or more) from any movies. Then each player gets a faction. Alien, predator, marines and mercenary's. How sick is that?
Pleaaaase let this happen, lets get a 60 card alien barracks, with 4 (or more) avatars as part of the alien expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love this if only to play Aliens vs Predator as the Aliens. I would also love to have the scenario flipped where I am playing as the aliens and have to infiltrate and kill the humans, but I would prefer for it to stay cooperative rather than the new competitive mode Predator is offering (even though I like the competitive idea for Predator since it fits thematically).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Eichler
msg tools
Same. Id really like to have an alien barracks and play against the predators.

Also, in case it doesn't make sense to some. Playing Aliens vs Aliens is extremely thematic to. As alien hives act like ant colony's and can constantly be at war with each other.
Having me and my girlfriend play alien and predator vs Dutch's crew, coordinating a spear throw and alien acid spit to kill him is just.... Gahhh! To awesome to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Vranes
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't agree more. I think the expansion has been pushed out to 2016 (or so I saw on a thread here). Man, can't wait...but at least we're getting Predators here shortly. That should be good.

I think they have a good thing going here. I'd like to see some other crossovers - it would be fun to have them put together a Terminator crossover, in my opinion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please NO!

LE:Aliens is designed as a co-op game. The "PvP" Alien mechanics are pretty bad. Don't start mixing in PvP and competitive play into this great co-op game.

If you want PvP, go play Marvel. Also, some of the info about Predators suggests you can compete against other players, as a quasi co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Eichler
msg tools
Who said anything about making it competitive?

Scenario, 3 player game.
Player 1: Alien Barracks deck
Player 2: Predator Barracks deck
Player 3: Predator 2 Police force deck

All playing together against whatever objectives they choose.

No competitive recquired, but since you brought it up, predators mode in the upcoming game is already competitive, hunting for the most honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I'm sorry to ask this, guys, but isn't Predators fully co-operative, with an additional option to play it competitively? If it was exclusively competitive, would it be playable with the Alien set anyway (I mean that I doubt that)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
I'm sorry to ask this, guys, but isn't Predators fully co-operative, with an additional option to play it competitively? If it was exclusively competitive, would it be playable with the Alien set anyway (I mean that I doubt that)?

Based on what I've read and heard in interviews, the Predator game by itself has two modes of playing:

(1) Playing as humans against the Predator(s) – This is fully cooperative, just like Legendary Encounters: Alien, and is fully compatible. (You'll be able to take a human Barracks deck from the Predator game and pit them against an Alien Hive deck. You'll be able to take the crew of the Nostromo and have them go against the Predator. You can mix and match, teaming up Ripley and Dutch, to take on either the Predator or Aliens. And so on.)

(2) Playing as the Predators and hunting the humans – This is competitive (with a hint of cooperation, perhaps). You can attack the other Predator players and the humans are worth victory points (or honor). Whether the attacking is like Legendary: Villains' "take that" style of play or full-on PvP like in Legendary Encounters: Alien when playing with the traitor isn't quite clear yet. Possibly both.

And, if you also own Legendary Encounters: Alien, you can combine the two sets and get a third mode:

(3) Playing as Predators (using a Predators Barracks deck) versus an Alien Hive deck on the Alien playmat – My guess is that this will be semi-cooperative, and the Predator rule book will include a formula for specifying how many victory points you get for having killed different Aliens. (For example, divide the Alien's attack value by two and round up.)

Other than one of the Predator players dying from a chestburster and becoming an Alien player, there is no way to play as Aliens (i.e., an Aliens Barracks deck) and go up against the Predators (or humans, for that matter). Maybe in next year's Alien ~400-card expansion (probably May 2016), but that's just wishful thinking at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.