Subject: A Eurogamer's take rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, where do I begin?

I turned up at the SUSU cafe, 2 pm, Saturday, hoping to break out my shiny new copy of FunkenSchlag that I've just been dying to play. There are 5 of us there, Me, Alex, Al, Ed and Nick. Alex is a "n00b" (1st year), but likes playing Euros, like any sensible person. Unfortunately, Al, Ed and Nick prefer RPGs. To buy us some time, I suggest we play a filler, so we play Buckets for 20 or 30 mins to no avail. No one turns up. "So what's in the cupboard?" I ask (the game soc cupboard has a lot of light euro games we could play). What does everyone want to play? Ignoring me, Order of the Stick is set up. Gritting my teeth I say to myself, "What the hey, I'll try anything once" (it's that or cycle home in the cold December weather having just got there).

It's now 2.45, and gamesoc usually finishes at 5. poiting this out, and the fact we have 5 players, and how long this game typically takes, and we are supposed to be having a gamesoc social film night that night I suggest we play the smallest possible map. Over-ruled!(Ignored) So we play 3 dungeon levels.

4 hours later, at 6.45pm I emerge victorious by 2 points. The game was better than I was expecting, but it was still very long (anything over 2 hrs is pushing it with me) It is quite random (similar levels to risk), and admittedly multiple paths to victory.

I was dealt the character "Haley" and seemed to do fairly well. Whether this was because I played better, because I was lucky and rolled better, or because the game is unbalanced and broken I don't know. I didn't ask for help very much (only once I think) because that is giving away victory points. Having said that, I think I was the only person there actually playing the game i.e. trying to get the most victory points. I have no idea what the others were trying to do the whiole time. Nick even suggested, after about 3 hours "it doesn't really matter who wins". I had to grit my teeth to stop my head exploding. How can you sit there for thre or mor ehours blindly rolling dice and not car d about the outcome!? Come to think of it he did finish last I think.

Another thing I didn't like was the way the RPG players kept trying to "RPG" the game. For example, one player once forgot to apply a modifier that made the difference between winning and losing. They said, OK, you won afterall, and gave him the bonus. When I do the same a bit later the verdict is "tough, you should have remembered", and "well the next player has moved now" even though the move was on a completely separate part of the map and made no difference.

Anyway, I won because for the whole game I didn't give away points to defeat monsters and almost everone else did, also I concentrated on picking up loot (i.e. points) when others didn't.

Final verdict: A mediocre game mechanics, but let down by the long play time. If it was 1hr that would be appropriate to the randomness level. given 4 hours however, and I'd rather play 4 one hour games of something else. i.e. Order of the Stick is a one hour game that takes four hours to play. 4/10.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you're right about the randomness level. The fighting isn't too bad, because with each fight you can't gain or lose too much (Unless you'#re fighting Xyklon), but the schticks you get can be very random. And since I found that some of the schticks were almost useless, and that getting several copies of your main attack skill was very powerfull (Because they boosted each other), your characters power was mainly determined by what order you got these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, where were you on Saturday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it sounds like the rest of your crew is more into the social, fun aspect of gaming than the winning aspect, which it looks like you are all about.
True?

Looks like an interesting game. Thanks for the take on the randomness and length. For me those don't factor into my decisions, but I know some of the others I play with do care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.