Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Law
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
Hi 'geek,

I'll cut to the chase: I want rid of some games, but I'm not sure which ones. So help me out!

I have a wall unit covered in games, and I'm getting to the stage where the unit has no more space. I want to make space. The unit can store around 80 games, and that's enough for me.

The problem is, some I bought because they were cheap, and I just haven't gotten round to playing them, and now I'm thinking that I'm either holding on to a game I'll never play, or there's an unplayed gem waiting for me -- tell me which! I'm mostly interested in games I have that have been well and truly "fired" by other games I have. I worry I have an outrageous number of auction games, for example.

Here is my collection of games, ordered by average rating. Feel free to look at it and bash me for having/ not having game X. Really!

Here is a subset of my collection which might be less arduous to look through -- a list of unplayed(ish) games:

A Fool's Fortune [NIS]
Open Sesame [New]
Arctic Scavengers [New]
Automobile
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Canaletto [NIS]
La Città [played once]
Carcassonne: The Count of Carcassonne [played once]
Hacienda [NIS]
League of Six [NIS]
Moai [NIS]
Power Grid [played once]
Power Grid: France/Italy [NIS]
Priests of Ra [NIS]
Strozzi [NIS]
Sylla [NIS]
Taj Mahal
Tinners' Trail [NIS]
Willi
Lord of the Rings
Panic Station (just got this yesterday)
Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends (again, got this yesterday)

EDIT: Also these (just for my personal record -- and to show my wife what I've ditched!):

Mapominoes: Europe
Travel Clue
Mastermind
Malefiz

Word Yahtzee

This isn't even all my unplayed/played-once games -- there are some which I've convinced myself I definitely want to play and keep hold of!

How should I get rid of them -- European auction?

As a side note, I've more or less(!) stopped buying games -- I've become far more choosy about what I buy.

Final anticipatory(?) note: Sure, there are other solutions to this problem -- this is the one I want to pursue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many great games available today, and so many to be released in the future, that there is no reason to hold on to games unless you absolutely love them.

If I owned those games I'd keep Power Grid and maybe the expansion and get rid of the rest. You have different tastes than me so maybe keep Automobile as well

Don't buy "cheap" games, they are usually cheap for a reason (though I suspect you already learnt that lesson)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
bholmes4 wrote:
There are so many great games available today, and so many to be released in the future, that there is no reason to hold on to games unless you absolutely love them...

BAM!!

Keep stuff (not just games) that you love. Lose the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Law
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
bholmes4 wrote:
There are so many great games available today, and so many to be released in the future, that there is no reason to hold on to games unless you absolutely love them.

If I owned those games I'd keep Power Grid and maybe the expansion and get rid of the rest. You have different tastes than me so maybe keep Automobile as well

Don't buy "cheap" games, they are usually cheap for a reason (though I suspect you already learnt that lesson)...

I haven't got around to playing them though! I might love them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Get rid of all of them but the Power Grid.

As to how ger rid of them - tell some of your friends - I have those games I dont really play - maybe you would like to get them as a gift? This really works

Other option is finding Math Trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you need Ra and Priests of Ra? I've only played Priests of Ra - if I were you I'd open it and play it a couple of times and see which you prefer (I doubt oepning it will have much impact on it's value since it's very cheap - Ra is almost certainly worth more).

How about getting rid of anything that you have given a low rating to? Do you really want games rated 4 or 5? What about the games rated 6 or 6.5? If you're keeping them because you have a friend who likes to play them then give them away to that person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Slim down your ticket to ride collection. It is fine to keep around for playing with newbies but you don't need so many flavours of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Law
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
zabdiel wrote:
Do you need Ra and Priests of Ra? I've only played Priests of Ra - if I were you I'd open it and play it a couple of times and see which you prefer (I doubt oepning it will have much impact on it's value since it's very cheap - Ra is almost certainly worth more).

How about getting rid of anything that you have given a low rating to? Do you really want games rated 4 or 5? What about the games rated 6 or 6.5? If you're keeping them because you have a friend who likes to play them then give them away to that person.

Yes indeed! I've already made an ok start by sorting by rating, so I can keep going with that method (and other suggestions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to get rid of them, do it in a fun/good way.
Set them up for G4GG Games for Geekgold (G4GG) - July 2015
Or do something like DixiJos does DixiJos monthly charity auction (Free worldwide shipping)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I see no sign of Case Blue nor Guderian's robot
I was looking for Paths of Glory or its sequel, maybe SPQR, or Empire of the Sun, a little refreshing bath in 1805 Sea of Glory... but...!

I know - I KNOW, you're like me and you don't have the patience to update your collection and/or you're always thinking that "yeah I bet I've already added that title that I keep playing & love so much...".

You've already bought the uber-excellent last chapter in COIN, Fire in the Lake, so you want to make room for all those GMT massive boxes. I know!

Seriously, keeping a game has nothing to do with the number of plays or whatever, if it's good, it's like reading a book, sometimes you're stuck for hours and sometimes you put it aside for months, because you need to take your time to internalize it, to absorb it.

So it's a very subjective affair.

Maybe you can zip the expansions into the main boxes, e.g. Carc may hold Inns&Cathedrals IIRC.

For other games, you could recycle them as a present; e.g. I see that you've rated Citadels a 4, but maybe you have friends that could enjoy it more than you did. So that in a hopefully not-so-distant future you could exchange your games with them devil (it's called "sowing & harvesting")

BTW, from your collection, imho, those are absolutely keepers and I'll shoot you with ten-sided dice if you dare ever get rid of them:
- Android Netrunner (10/10)
- Carcassonne (lifetime classic, you'll keep playing it even after years; believe me)
- Castles of Burgundy (Feld's apex)
- Twilight Struggle (I don't even try to explain why you won't touch it forever and ever, just... don't)

Also:
- Actic Scavengers (very good, play it!)
- ok, keep the classics (Pandemic, Ticket to Ride...)
- and some small one.

Ah, and burn Scotland Yard. Replace it with Letters from Whitechapel, you'll be much happier.

Cheerio!
(ps. please don't take offence, today I'm lightheaded, I feel the holidays approaching... huzzah!)(but my advices are serious)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I actually do think it's a good idea to have at least a rough idea of a maximum collection size target to combat being a completist and not letting yourself drift into becoming a collector.... for budget/space/sanity reasons.

If you really want to keep the collection size down to 80... you have to get into the habit of being pretty brutal in culling games and only keeping the best and jettisoning the rest.

You currently have 87 games/expansions listed as owned.

A lot of us consider expansions as basically "not counted" against the limit in our collections as they are played with a base game and can often be stored with the base game in many cases.

If you are a stickler and want to only have 80 games including expansions because of severe lack of storage... I'd probably recommend trying to "cheat" and double up on storage by getting rid of the expansion boxes (which are often superfluous anyway)... but that can then be an issue in the future if you ever want to sell/trade an expansion and use the original box to do so.

On what to keep and what to get rid of... I'd personally think that anything you rate under say a 7 can be safely culled.

Love Letter 6.5
Catan 6
Citadels 4
Ingenious 5
Blokus 6.5
Caylus Magna Carta 6.5
Elfenland 6
Saboteur 5
Scotland Yard 6
Malefiz 6

There's 10 that I'd say could go. You don't REALLY like those in comparison to a lot of others you own or have played. Why keep them unless someone you game with REALLY likes them and you enjoy playing those games more for the social aspect than the actual "goodness" of the gameplay.

Citadels: The Dark City 4
Ticket to Ride: Europa 1912 4

Those 2 expansions can go as well... you don't need an expansion you rate as a 4 for a game you also rate as a 4.

Also... if you rate a expansion lower than the base game... dump the expansion because it's basically making the game WORSE when you play it and that defeats the purpose of an expansion which at a minimum should make the game just as good (and ideally better).

So that's 12 bases games and expansions gone.

87-12=75

So now you should have a collection size of 75.

Of the games you own and haven't played yet... I'd probably say it's most logical to try them and maybe there will be some decent games in there that really appeal to you, even though they aren't that highly regarded in general.

If you just want to cull the list without actually playing them... these are the top ones that I'd keep as I think these are the ones with the broadest appeal and that have the highest replay value...

1 Power Grid
2 Power Grid: France/Italy
3 Automobile
4 Taj Mahal
5 Hacienda
6 Tinner's Trail
7 Betrayal at House on the Hill
8 Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends
9 La Città
10 Lord of the Rings

By my rough count that culls out another 12 so that would bring the collection size down to 63 which is well under your 80 upper limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do a 22 x 1 challenge. Don't play any familiar games until you have played each of these games once.

However, if you want to sell them in new shrinkwrap condition, I suppose this is not an option.

Another thing you could do is put them in a storage area in your house. In a few months time when you feel the urge to buy a new game, pull one of these unplayed games out instead.

Or as a last resort, do a European auction, or talk to one of the local boardgame clubs or London on Board to see if anyone is interested in buying the games (put a sell price next to each item on your list).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
eBay for the most profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get rid of Arctic Scavengers. Send it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evn Tomeny
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Several have already said it, but keep Power Grid and Arctic Scavengers. I'd also at least play Taj Mahal and Automobile before you get rid of them.

What I like to do: get all of my board gaming friends together (specifically the ones who have an overly large collection). Have everyone bring a couple of games they're considering get rid of. Play a night (or a weekend!) of board games, and let everyone leave with a game they didn't come with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tash-Kalar is awesome and you should keep it.

I see nothing in your list of games to suggest that you'd enjoy Betrayal At House On The Hill. It's kind of an "experience" game; you have little control over what happens and it's not balanced or anything. Drop it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Math trades are a fun way to get rid of your old games and get new ones in return. There's one going on right now; submissions are due on Thursday.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/192665/games-summer-2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Law
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
nexttothemoon wrote:

Wow, that is very thorough Darren, thank you! I'm especially surprised at someone suggesting I dump Catan though -- maybe I've misinterpreted how it's perceived on BGG, because I thought people had a real soft spot for it (though I don't).

Will take all this on board, and the things you're saying make a lot of sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Law
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
And thank you all -- plenty of food for thought.

I don't care about the money, so I will probably try to give them all the ol' college try before I sell them or give them away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give Power Grid another try and also try Automobile before you get rid of it. I traded Automobile, but only because no one ever wanted to play it. It's great with a full group, but it isn't that great with only 2. If I could convince my wife to like it, I'd probably get it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal at house on the hill, Power grid base game only, and Tash-kalar are keepers. the rest toss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to be tricky as you rate Russian Railroads and CaH higher than Agricola and Loveletter- so we are not aligned on taste, but: Arctic Savengers, Powergrid, League of Six and Tinners Trail are certainly worth playing to see if you like them. Taj Mahal is a classic.

Pitch the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'd get rid of them all and invest the money back into games you actually want to play. I don't have a huge game collection compared to some people but I put so much research into the games I do have that it is highly unlikely any of them will not stay in rotation.

We have sold off almost all of our board games from before we started getting into quality games, there are still a few left to go, and put all the money into better games.

Like others have said, give Power Grid a couple more attempts but if you don't enjoy it just sell it and get something you will play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Law
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks people. I have created a pile of games for the charity shop, and another for the European Auction July Edition. I will probably start another pile for my friend who is just starting a collection!

And I will update my game ratings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spurlock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also try the UK Math Trade - it runs every 2nd month, the next one will be in August.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.