BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: My alternate storage solution for Imperial assault rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two years ago I created Netrunner tokens using a laser cutter in a fablab near where I work.

Now, almost two years later I finally managed to finish my second project. An alternate take on a storage system for Imperial assault.

I started by looking at the storage solution by Rock Man made out of foam (5mm).

I wanted to create my project out of MDF (5mm of 6 mm) so I thought it would be very simple to create it using the Sketchup files by Rock Man. It was indeed not so hard to extract the shapes and move them to inkscape. I assembled the entire construction and loaded it up with the figures and cards from the game. Everything fitted quite well although some components were a bit to snug in my opninion.

I wanted to show my friends and co-workers my creation so I put the box in the sidebag of my bike and left for work. When I arrived and opened my box I was surprised with what I found. All the cards were messed up and shuffled around. The box was shaken up ;-).

I then decided to create my own design which should be able to withstand a bike ride.

My starting point was the base of the design by Rock man. I wanted to create the new design out of 4mm MDF so I had to redraw everything.
I decided to put the cards in two separate boxes with lids on them to avoid the shuffeling of cards. I also wanted to create additional storage for figures of expansions.

After some trial and error, my design was finally finished and I just had to laser cut the MDF and assemble the pieces.

Sketchup file for MDF 4mm
Inkscape file (svg) for MDF 4mm
Inkscape file (svg) for Plexi (PMMA) 2mm (dividers)

Some photos:

The overview of the box (Full size)

Another overview (Full size)

The base of the storage solution (Full size)

Close up of base (Full size)

Another close up of base (Full size)

The first figure box (Full size)

Close up of figure box 1 (Full size)

The second figure box (Full size)

Box for the big cards (Full size)

The dividers for the big cards (Full size)

close up of dividers for the big cards (Full size)

Box for the small cards (Full size)

The dividers for the small cards (Full size)

Room for additional small cards (Full size)

Two token boxes stacked upon each other (Full size)

The lower token box (Full size)

The upper token box (Full size)

Close up of the upper token box (Full size)

The last figure box with room for expansions (Full size)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Holmes
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice..... you should market that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hu
msg tools
This is fantastic. great job! I'm actually thinking about making one at a fablab that is close by. Just curious, where did you get your material? Was looking for MDF on Amazon and it is all in inches.. I imagine the 1/8th inch might not fit properly.

Also, just to be clear, by MDF you mean Medium Density Fiberboard and NOT Medium Density Foam, correct?

Again, great job and thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi J Hu,

By MDF I do indeed mean Medium Density Fiberboard (the wooden kind :-)).

The fablab where I go, has all the materials in stock. They ask you to use and purchase their materials but it is allowed to bring your own provided they can check the materials before you go ahead and laser cut them.

I have no idea where I would purchase the materials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hu
msg tools
Great, thanks for the info. Do you happen to recall if you did this with one sheet of MDF or were you able to break it up over multiple sheets? Just trying to guess at if I need to order one longer piece of MDF or if I can break the job up over multiple shorter pieces. I'm new to the whole fablab thing so all the info I can get ahead of time is much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The laser cutter I used in the fablab close te me uses plates of 600mm x 300mm. For the MDF part of my build, I used 5 mdf plates. I manually arranged all 98 parts and spread them out over 5 separate files, each with a canvas of 600mm x 300mm. For the dividers I used 1 plate.

So it alle depends on the limitations of the laser cutter you are using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmb
Impressive...most impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Explosive 6
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Great job and a source of inspiration.

How much space for expansions do you have for each different component type? That's always been the thing putting me off knowing there are more things coming.

What's the plan when you fill it up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Hill
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So impressive! Great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for commenting and appreciating my creation! cool

@Explosive6:

I currently have these items in the box:

Star Wars: Imperial Assault (2014)
Star Wars: Imperial Assault – Chewbacca Ally Pack (2015)
Star Wars: Imperial Assault – Han Solo Ally Pack (2015)
Star Wars: Imperial Assault – IG-88 Villain Pack (2015)
Star Wars: Imperial Assault – Royal Guard Champion Villain Pack (2015)

As you can see from the pictures I have room for General Weiss in the big compartiment in the bottom tray.

I also have room for 6 additional figures (normal height) in the bottom tray. In the first figure box, I have room for 1 larger (longer) figure.
In the second figure box, I have room for 4 additional firgures (normal). In the last figure box, I have room for two additional figures (normal or somewhat higher).

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raverken wrote:
For the MDF part of my build, I used 5 mdf plates. I manually arranged all 98 parts and spread them out over 5 separate files, each with a canvas of 600mm x 300mm. For the dividers I used 1 plate.

Awesome work. Any chance you'd share the files, even as pdfs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I do not know the dimensions other laser cutters accept, I made the general svg file with all the components on it. This way you can arrange them any way you see fit.

I have no problem sharing my personal files:
The files I used for 600mm x 300mm (both plexi and mdf)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raverken wrote:
Because I do not know the dimensions other laser cutters accept, I made the general svg file with all the components on it. This way you can arrange them any way you see fit.

I have no problem sharing my personal files:
The files I used for 600mm x 300mm (both plexi and mdf)

Am able to open in Illustrator and rearrange to my board size.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dinya
Hungary
flag msg tools
This is really awesome! Couple of questions:
- I was wondering, why did you go with MDF? I don't know what the alternatives are, just wondering.
- Did you need to glue the parts together or are they sturdy enough without that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I went with MDF because it is quite sturdy and because the fablab where I made it only allows MDF or Plexi .

I did use (wood)glue to put everything together. Some parts stick together very well without glue but I wanted to be sure. Other parts would fall apart without.

I recently came across an interesting article about interlocking MDF structures without glue and I think I will use it in my next project.
http://support.ponoko.com/entries/498853-How-to-make-interlo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rapp
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kenny,
First off THANK YOU! Excellent work. This post was my reason for finally creating an account and posting instead of just lurking in the shadows feeding off of the free information provided by so many geeks.

I have been reviewing your files and noticed that the ones you posted did not have the art work included for the etching of the top of the card boxes etc....

Do I have a layer hidden? Or some other setting incorrect?

Thank you again for sharing your work.
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason,

Thank you for your kind words.
When cleaning up my files just before posting on BoardGameGeek I accidentally deleted the version with the etched artwork.

Because they were merely cosmetic, I opted to release the files witout the logos. I searched for them again and found them. Below the link with the artwork.

Feel free to incorporate them in my design.

Download logos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Matassoni
Italy
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How do you go from sketch to inkscape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I had the same trouble myself and after a lot of trial and error I finally found a working version of this:
https://github.com/JoakimSoderberg/sketchup-svg-outline-plug...

I think I manually installed it (don't remember how I finally managed to get get it to work).

Once it is installed correctly, you can doubleclick on a side of a shape. Open the contextual menu (right mouse button) and click export to svg.

I did this manually for each individual shape I needed.
After that svg was created, I copy pasted it into another SVG where I pasted ALL the shapes. So I deleted the svg for the individual shape after I had copied it.

It is painstakingly slow but it works :-)

I made the svg files (inkscape files) available or this project so you don't have to go through the same ordeal if you want to make this project yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maufa maufa
msg tools
mb
Hello , I loved your work. I would like to ask you how do to export to SVG with the plugin. I can not do, the SVG output is a wide picture with images that bear no resemblance to those in the design . We must change something in the configuration of the plugin?
I know that you provided your work doing , but I'm doing the same for my Zombicide and need to do the same.
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I also had difficulties using the plugin and it took me a while to figure it out. Unfortunately, the solution is somewhat tedious.

I double click on a side of a box (3D object) in sketchup. This focuses on a side panel. A side panel is still 3D. I then double click on a side of the side panel and this shows only the side of the side panel (which is a 2D). The side I am referring to is the side you want laser. With only that part of the side panel focused, I right click and choose export to SVG.

This creates an svg file with only the outline of the side you just selected.

Next come the tedious part: open the svg file in inkscape, copy the shape and paste in a new file where you group all the shapes. I then go back to skethup, click somewhere else to focus on another side panel en double click on the next side I want to convert into an SVG, export to the same file (and overwrite it. Open it up, copy past the svg shape into the svg file where I group all the shapes and continue doing so.

If anyone knows a solution to export all faces in one step from skethup to svg, I would love to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Verbeke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apperantly, this should also work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phnu72XQyb0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arnoldo Navarro
Mexico
morelia
michoacan
flag msg tools
Nice job, any chance to see an instruction sheet or video to assembly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Blagg
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrg, this is exactly what I've been looking for, but I only have 3mm plywood >.< I'm sure with a little bit of tweaking I can modify this to fit. Thank you so much for sharing this! I'll post if I get a 3mm conversion figured out.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.