United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stac is a minimal abstract that you could cobble
together from spare parts, but don't: there's an equally minimal
kickstarter - (link removed) for $15 (shipping included) you get a copy of the game.

Abstract lovers - we need to support efforts like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Backed!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting about my project Dave. I was going to but I didn't think it was in good taste as the designer since I have an interest in it succeeding. With that being said, I just want to say I truly appreciate ANY support you all can give me with this campaign. I don't expect anyone to back it or even pledge at the $1 level, but just talking about it and sharing the link to the campaign will do wonders to get it funded. If you'd be so kind, share it with other abstract lovers, gamers, family, friends, etc. The more eyes I can get on the project, the better chance it has of funding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm haunted by the feeling that "we must be doing something wrong" when ludicrous zombie-decbuilding games are quickly oversubscribed for hundreds of thousands of dollars, while modest little abstracts struggle to raise a few K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ddyer wrote:
I'm haunted by the feeling that "we must be doing something wrong" when ludicrous zombie-decbuilding games are quickly oversubscribed for hundreds of thousands of dollars, while modest little abstracts struggle to raise a few K.

Having gone over to the dark side (and run a KS campaign that raised $280k last month), I could write a dissertation on this. Two biggest factors:

1) most people, even most games players, don't like the feel of abstract games (at least the kind that we discuss and design in this forum)

2) people aren't really buying the games on Kickstarter, they're buying the promise of an experience, and they're buying physical stuff that tickles the eye. Abstract games don't wear their intentions on their sleeves and so don't promise much of anything, and they're made of pretty mundane stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
Abstract games don't wear their intentions on their sleeves and so don't promise much of anything, and they're made of pretty mundane stuff.

That's true and it has been true literally for ages. One would expect educated people to know that. But obviously deep strategy provided by simple means can't compete with the arbitrary abundance of the dark side. And as you implicitly demonstrate, it only matters if money and marketing are involved. Abstract lovers in most cases still benefit from gereric material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:

2) people aren't really buying the games on Kickstarter, they're buying the promise of an experience...

And they rarely if ever deliver. For me, with very rare exceptions, Kickstarter has been a con-game with no one aware (or few are) that this is what they are actually offering is hollow and boring. Sure, the "stuff that tickles the eye" seems to draw, but much like far too many films out recently, the movie studios seemed to have learned the lesson of mediocrity such that it's hard to dismiss the experience as purely 'terrible' by critics and moviegoers which keeps on perpetuating a bland experience that you may or may not go to but surely there is no cause to loathe the results. I'm finding the same from almost all Kickstarter game offerings.

This doesn't mean that there are not diamonds, but to gain access to those rarified opportunities, the costs are prohibitive. I guess this is just the chance some feel they must take to turn that improbable key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ddyer wrote:

Another way perhaps to get around this resistance is to encapsulate the abstract as Mr. Knizia and Colovini tend to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also backed. Hope you make your goals, Daneil. I do feel like showing your prototype (or whatever you have) in the video would have been valuable. One thing that definitely contributes to successful kickstarter campaigns is showing the finished product. I realize it will not be exact, but if you can make a prototype as close to the finished product as possible, it will absolutely make a difference. (I did watch the review video, and feel that some of that is the sort of thing that should have been shown in the KS video.)

reyalicea wrote:
ddyer wrote:

Another way perhaps to get around this resistance is to encapsulate the abstract as Mr. Knizia and Colovini tend to do.

I think this is absolutely true, but for many of us in this forum, the abstract is not /just/ the kind of game, it is also a preferred aesthetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the backing Martin, I truly appreciate it. I wanted the main video be more about the history of the game and how I planned on producing it. But having the game pictures probably would have helped. I thought having pictures of the game on the campaign page would be enough though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
As the manufacturer of several abstract games that sell "OK" over the years, we are now making our first zombie game. We demo'd it at Strategicon and sold a bunch of copies in one afternoon. We have not ever sold that many copies of all of our abstracts combined in the whole 4 day con.

Perhaps if the abstract game had zombie images on the pieces...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluepantherllc wrote:
As the manufacturer of several abstract games that sell "OK" over the years, we are now making our first zombie game. We demo'd it at Strategicon and sold a bunch of copies in one afternoon. We have not ever sold that many copies of all of our abstracts combined in the whole 4 day con.

Zombiegeddon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night giveaway:

If I can get 5 more $15 backers before Midnight EST, I'll raffle off an extra copy to one of the backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
bluepantherllc wrote:

Something like this perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuck in Stalag BGG
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
ddyer wrote:
Stac is a minimal abstract that you could cobble
together from spare parts, but don't: there's an equally minimal
kickstarter -
for $15 (shipping included) you get a copy of the game.

Abstract lovers - we need to support efforts like this.

Good intentions and all, but you might want to remove the KS link. Admins see it they will nuke the whole thread, losing this discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't his campaign so I don't think there should be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:

I'm not sure if your "should" expresses how you feel it would be appropriate for things to be at BGG, or how you believe things really are at BGG.

In reality, BGG moderation is rather strict about keeping kickstarter links restricted to the given game's forum or the kickstarter forum (to avoid problems about kickstarter spam overrunning the rest of the forums - regardless of whether the game's creator or an enthusiastic fan posts it - indeed very often it's a fan's post trying to drum up more backers which gets moderated.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuck in Stalag BGG
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
disom wrote:

I'm not sure if your "should" expresses how you feel it would be appropriate for things to be at BGG, or how you believe things really are at BGG.

In reality, BGG moderation is rather strict about keeping kickstarter links restricted to the given game's forum or the kickstarter forum (to avoid problems about kickstarter spam overrunning the rest of the forums - regardless of whether the game's creator or an enthusiastic fan posts it - indeed very often it's a fan's post trying to drum up more backers which gets moderated.)

Correct... I only speak from experience. I shared an endorsement to one just recently and the whole thread was dumped. In fact, I never shared a link, but the first comment was "Why no link?" following by another user sharing the link...

Because of that second reply, the entire thread got nuked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
russ wrote:
disom wrote:

Correct... I only speak from experience. I shared an endorsement to one just recently and the whole thread was dumped. In fact, I never shared a link, but the first comment was "Why no link?" following by another user sharing the link...

Because of that second reply, the entire thread got nuked.

Yikes, well we don't want that. Dave, could you remove the link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now the original link is gone but the quoted one is still up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuck in Stalag BGG
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Texas gamer wrote:
Now the original link is gone but the quoted one is still up.

Oops! Fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:
Thanks for the backing Martin, I truly appreciate it. I wanted the main video be more about the history of the game and how I planned on producing it. But having the game pictures probably would have helped. I thought having pictures of the game on the campaign page would be enough though.

From a marketing perspective, the main video should tell prospective backers something interesting and exciting about the project. While an abstract game is always a hard sell, there are definitely some things you could improve on in the video, including showing more of the game itself to make it more visual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
minismurf wrote:
disom wrote:

From a marketing perspective, the main video should tell prospective backers something interesting and exciting about the project. While an abstract game is always a hard sell, there are definitely some things you could improve on in the video, including showing more of the game itself to make it more visual.

I totally agree Carl. Today in a Facebook group about Kickstarter board game projects, I got a lot of great feedback of how to make the video better. I plan on reshooting it tomorrow with some changes including showing the game itself.

Edit: In other news, I added a new pledge level where you can get 1 of only 10 copies of a all wood, hand made version of the game. And I lowered the top pledge level to $250.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've edited the beginning of the video, changed the project image, and added a gameplay video that was recorded on Boardspace.net. A digital version of the game should be available soon so you can play against a bot or a live player. Please thank Dave from the original post for doing that. Better yet, go play games on his site if you don't already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.