Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules seem to be saying that the Aliens can be hurt by acidic blood spatter. That's...stupid, right?

Help me out here, because this is giving me a headache.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(are the rules available online anywhere? I haven't received my copy yet)

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
(are the rules available online anywhere? I haven't received my copy yet)

-shnar

http://calc.prodos.co.uk/photos/avprulebook.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
BradH wrote:
The rules seem to be saying that the Aliens can be hurt by acidic blood spatter. That's...stupid, right?

Help me out here, because this is giving me a headache.

"Whenever a Model with the Acidic Blood Special Skill loses a wound, roll a D20. On a roll of 1–5, the lost wound is accompanied by a jet of extremely dangerous molecular acid. If you are able, place an Acid Damage Token on a Tile occupied by the Model that lost a wound. Even
if a token cannot be placed, additionally, one Model (friendly or foe) on this Tile chosen by the Alien faction player receives a St10 Autohit."

Certainly sounds like they can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, if there are no enemy models to choose but a friendly Alien model on the same tile as the model being hit then there is that 25% chance.
Remember to make an Armour test for the model concerned, even if you roll a 1-5 for the Acid Blood Spill there is still a chance that only a Acid Blood Spill Token will occur. After half a dozen games I have only lost 2 models to that event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's beyond stupid. It's established in the original AVP movie that Alien skin is immune to the acid blood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BradH wrote:
That's beyond stupid. It's established in the original AVP movie that Alien skin is immune to the acid blood.

They wouldn't live long haha

Not only in the original, but the AvP movie as well, when the predator literally drips alien blood on alien skin to demonstrate how it is immune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the scene I was thinking of, yes. Also the "cannibalising" scene in "Alien: Resurrection".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clarke
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Unclouded by conscience, remorse, or lemon sorbet.
mbmbmbmbmb
That... just seems wrong to me! But rules are rules. Could always try "alien models are immune" and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
rules are rules

...and houserules are houserules.

It just seems really jarring, considering how much fan-service is in the rest of the game, to have such a stupid contradiction as this!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple, just house rule it.
Think I will from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Of course it could be a result of a disastrous effect on the environment. Acid blood on a support beam which then crushes an alien or exposes a electrical wire etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personal errata: On p. 22 under Acid Damage Token replace "... (friendly or foe) ..." with "... (without the Acidic Blood Special Skill) ...".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Knapp
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Because the marines having a close combat buff in a normal room versus predators and aliens makes REAL sense. Or that there's no real mechanic to represent the Predator's cloak.
I'd say they did their best to make three completely different and yet balanced playable factions and at the same time try to stay true to canon. It's not perfect but still fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Because the marines having a close combat buff in a normal room versus predators and aliens makes REAL sense. Or that there's no real mechanic to represent the Predator's cloak.

I'm not a fan of the Marines having a bonus in close combat either, but I let it stand for gameplay purposes.

I think the Predator cloaking rules are fine, as Predators are normally decloaked when fighting Aliens anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grenko Nekrovitch
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the fact that the flamthrower produces a wound and therefor an acid throw. Not very thematic either....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, there are quite a few abnomalies in the rules.but as more people get hold of the game.i think "homegrown" rulesets will start to appear for the game along with scenarios/campaigns etc.as the game is designed as a sandbox game so totally open to modding.
we just need all the people who haven't yet received their copies to get them then.then the other stuff will be released from the store and it will open the game up even more !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You say "a sandbox game so totally open to modding", and people hear "a half-finished product".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't recall Prodos labeling it as a sand box (or any term which would be equivalent) game or stating their intent to design it as such. I'm pretty sure the board game was supposed to be an easy intro into the 'table top' or 'miniatures wargame' and have mass appeal to board gamers interested in the franchise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
Yeah, I don't recall Prodos labeling it as a sand box (or any term which would be equivalent) game or stating their intent to design it as such. I'm pretty sure the board game was supposed to be an easy intro into the 'table top' or 'miniatures wargame' and have mass appeal to board gamers interested in the franchise.

im nearly certain that rob mentions it in one of the interviews he gave before the game was released..and just by looking at the extra stats at the end of the rulebook for the higher level characters. and the stuff which are going to finally be released like extra tilesets [rooms etc].and more miniature sets..that in itself says that this is a sandbox game to me... with a lot of potential modability...for instance the "bug hunt" ruleset plays perfect in the game..as do the alien boardgame rules.

half finished,mmm depends what people wanted,ive had the game since it was first rolled out [very lucky].so,ive had plenty of time playing it.me and my son and a few of our friends really enjoy it...yes,the rules are a bit iffy in places and it could certainly do with the solo rules expanding.but all in all its a very good game.
some of the complaints about one faction being op etc etc..id say,play all 3 factions first.all have strengths and weakenesses.
but yeah id say its definitely a sandbox game within the avp universe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.