Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Taubman
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say quite explicitly that any kind of unit can only retreat into an area controlled by another friendly unit.

But this produced an odd situation in my current game where an exclusively naval force in a coastal land area was attacked by an exclusively land force. The sea area next to the battle was unoccupied by any unit. But given that naval units can vacate sea areas it seems reasonable that they could retreat into empty sea areas as well. The sea area it could have retreated to was a valid area for that navy (all galleys) to move to, as it was adjacent to another of that nation's areas that was not in combat.

Similarly with air units, who can vacate any area they like; if an all-air pile was attacked by a land unit it seems reasonable that they could simply retreat into an empty area nearby after one round.

Thanks to all for comment and Harry for any ruling!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't offer any advice or comment but it's good to see someone else in Sydney with this game...

I've never actually managed to get my game to the table.

Don't suppose you live anywhere near Sutherland Shire by any chance do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irving
Australia
Sydney, Potts Point
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fortunate enough to play the game with the designer. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Rowland
Australia
O'Connor
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
Did it help Irving?

Afraid naval units must obey the rules too Andrew, and you have to leave a ship at sea for them to move to. Going into a neutral sea area is like going into a neutral land area, there be dragons.

Regards
harry

Regards
harry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Rowland
Australia
O'Connor
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
Did it help Irving?

Afraid naval units must obey the rules too Andrew, and you have to leave a ship at sea for them to move to. Going into a neutral sea area is like going into a neutral land area, there be dragons.

Regards
harry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irving
Australia
Sydney, Potts Point
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Harry,

Having you in the game was a hilight and we didn't have the naval rule issue come up though.

Will have to have another game some time.

Am working on designing a game currently...and it's going well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Rowland
Australia
O'Connor
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
Godd stuff Irving.

Regards
harry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taubman
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innocent Bystander wrote:
Can't offer any advice or comment but it's good to see someone else in Sydney with this game...

I've never actually managed to get my game to the table.

Don't suppose you live anywhere near Sutherland Shire by any chance do you?
Heavens no, anywhere south of the airport is not a valid retreat space for this little black airfleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taubman
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harry Rowland wrote:
I realise those are the rules for naval and air units, I'm just suggesting they shouldn't be

I mean you could have a spear-carrier attacking an airfleet and it can't retreat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
It should have to win combat first.

But if a spearman and ballista shot the plane, one can always pretend it flew low enough to be hurt, and wasn't able to find a friendly airfield near enough (in retreating, the first step is the hardest part).

Also, there are peolpe in those empty land spaces, only they don't pertain to any organized empire. Perhaps they aren't friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.