Dean Weller
United Kingdom
London
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this.

I liked your perspective on the War Council and the potential imbalanced Cleric situation.

I was not sure whether you were saying the game lived upto your expectations or not. There was a double negative going on there.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review.

Matchstickman wrote:
How do you play?
It seems to follow a pretty standard gaming convention, play and move. There's a number of cards in your hand, choose the one that you think gives you the most advantage, play the card and move up your units to twhack the enemy. Ok, from what I'm hearing that may be new in the war gaming circle but it's pretty standard fare in the CCG games I started out in.

The card driven war game genre really took off with the release of We the People in 1994. Also, Richard Borg's Command and Colors system, on which BattleLore is based, is also used in his games Battle Cry, Memoir '44 and Commands & Colors: Ancients. It's not really a new mechanic for war games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A comment on getting a level 3 wizard/cleric/etc:

I'm thinking that the big win with this are the extra cards that you can hold in your hand as opposed to the improved firepower of the cards themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard this complaint before (that some Loremasters are worth stacking and some aren't; I think the Warrior was discovered to be the least worthwhile in terms of extra levels beyond the first) and thought that maybe you could house rule it so that the levels you have in any given LM would be deducted from the cost to play the Lore card. This would give some benefit to taking multiple levels in say, Warrior, even though the text of the cards doesn't make it very worthwhile.

Just an idea...

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwridge wrote:
I've heard this complaint before (that some Loremaster's are worth stacking and some aren't; I think the Warrior was discovered to be the least worthwhile in terms of extra levels beyond the first) and thought that maybe you could house rule it so that the levels you have in any given LM would be deducted from the cost to play the Lore card. This would give some benefit to taking multiple levels in say, Warrior, even though the text of the cards doesn't make it very worthwhile.

Just an idea...

Brian

I also think, that the warrior is way to weak. His terrain is okay, I think a little bit stronger then the clerics one. But he only has 2 cards which are depending on levels, compared to the clerics 7.

The rouge and the sorceror both have 5 dependant cards, and a very useful terrain, since it can used more then once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the actual miniature/battles is what interests you more than the Lore part of the game - then you will certainly enjoy Mem '44 and BC more than Battlelore.

The thing I love about M44 and BC is that they are all about proper maneuvering and terrain benefits in warfare - especially BC. I've played Scenarios 1-3 of BattleLore and have been a bit disappointed. Why? Because they are designed to intro you to the C&C System as found in M44 and BC, but the rules for BLore do not fit scenarios 1-3 as well as the rules for M 44 or BC! Play the same scenarios with the M44/BC rules and Scenarios 1-3 of BLore would play completely different and be very satisfying.

BL scenarios 6-10 introduce the Lore aspects and completely change the game. BattleLore is mainly about LORE - not about historical warfare - so the rules are designed to take advantage of that type of system.

I would highly recommend BC/M44 to anyone who enjoys regular combat (as opposed to fantasy combat). Of course, I've yet to get far enough into BLore to see how well it recreates historical medieval warfare. Don't judge the game on the first few scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
If the actual miniature/battles is what interests you more than the Lore part of the game - then you will certainly enjoy Mem '44 and BC more than Battlelore.

This is for the most part true. One thing I really like about BL is the differing strengths and movement potential of the units. In M'44 you have only two, infantry and Tanks. In BL you could ahve up to 3 levels of infnatry, 3 levels of cavalry, and you could even possibly have 3 levels of ranged units.

I think M'44 could benefit from these types of units. Imagine having mechanized infantry, or fast light tanks. I can see endless strategic possibilties! I suppose it'd be harder to do with M'44 terrain rules though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that with the current mix of lore cards, putting extra levels into your Cleric is a very obvious strategy. This is particularly true if there's a lot of terrain on the board, because of the spells "The Hills Rumble" and "Forest Frenzy", either of which can *easily* win the game for you if you've got a 2nd or 3rd level Cleric.

That said, it's obvious both from the rulebook itself and from comments DoW has made on their website, that there will be more Lore cards released in future expansions. So I would expect this tactic to be more of a "flavor of the month" than a long-term thing.

(That opens up the whole Collectible Card Game ever-changing latest-best strategy debate, and whether it's a good thing, but surely that's a different thread.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewgr wrote:
I agree that with the current mix of lore cards, putting extra levels into your Cleric is a very obvious strategy. This is particularly true if there's a lot of terrain on the board, because of the spells "The Hills Rumble" and "Forest Frenzy", either of which can *easily* win the game for you if you've got a 2nd or 3rd level Cleric.

YEa.. those cards are pretty brutal.

Which reminds me... one of those cards affects units next to water tiles. Playing one of the water-less scenarios... I wondered if it might be better to remove the card from the deck so that it didn't pop up in play.

I know this isn't in the rules, but it seemed a bit silly to have a useless Lore card in the deck.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.