16 Posts

Brew Crafters» Forums » Rules

Subject: Very well written rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
Just wanted to say, it's surprising that for a game with quite a bit of depth and complexity, we didn't get a single rule wrong. This is a rare feat, especially of a kickstarted game (as they tend to have less editing). This game IS kickstarted, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rosset
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unonameless wrote:
Just wanted to say, it's surprising that for a game with quite a bit of depth and complexity, we didn't get a single rule wrong. This is a rare feat, especially of a kickstarted game (as they tend to have less editing). This game IS kickstarted, right?

Yes, it was kickstarted. And thanks for the compliment! Chris Kirkman and I worked hard on the rules to try and make them as understandable as possible. If anyone has any suggestions for the next printing, though, please let us know in this thread.

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Madsen
Denmark
Mårslet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
rosset37 wrote:
If anyone has any suggestions for the next printing, though, please let us know in this thread.

Ben

I only have the one complaint the the rules are not complete. You need both the rules book and the building helper card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rosset
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Astrosmurf wrote:
rosset37 wrote:
If anyone has any suggestions for the next printing, though, please let us know in this thread.

Ben

I only have the one complaint the the rules are not complete. You need both the rules book and the building helper card.

I understand your frustration. We are looking at the possibility of changing that in the next edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game last night... I agree! (with the rules being well-composed)

The only thing that was not clear was if a player resolves his market & brewery actions in any particular order or just whatever order he wishes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rosset
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Killer Spaceman wrote:
Played my first game last night... I agree! (with the rules being well-composed)

The only thing that was not clear was if a player resolves his market & brewery actions in any particular order or just whatever order he wishes.

All market actions are resolved as soon as they are taken. So when you place a market worker on a market action space, you immediately take what you receive. Therefore market actions are always resolved before brewery actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
As for suggestions, maybe find a spot in main rules for building effect blurb or put more references to the reference card. For example, in the section about building things, you could say for the effects of individual areas and equipment, see the reference card. Would still probably be better if there was an extra page in rules detailing building effects, just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Astrosmurf wrote:

Yeah, I found that a bit annoying too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not so much an issue with the rules, but the ingredients.

Note sure its because of all the other Euros we play, but everyone i played with kept getting confused by which ingredient was which.

Yes i know its written on the board (but its not a big board and it does get covered in items so its a little hard to read).

The bottom of Page 6 of the rulebook has a great table showing the ingredients and the symbols and the colors.

That table should be:
a) on the building cards so everyone can see
b) on the back page of the rulebook given thats a cheat sheet that tends to sit face up on the table whilst playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unonameless wrote:
As for suggestions, maybe find a spot in main rules for building effect blurb or put more references to the reference card. For example, in the section about building things, you could say for the effects of individual areas and equipment, see the reference card. Would still probably be better if there was an extra page in rules detailing building effects, just in case.

Agreed - it makes the rulebook seem incomplete, especially when the cards are so small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian H
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have one other suggestion.

Page 5 of the rulebook has the set-up. To get it right you need to read all of it, but he ones that catch me our are Paragraph 17) and 18) in particular.

Even once ive played the game a few times I've got every other set-up step committed to memory so dont look at the page, but i find that i still need to reference 17) and 18) each time I play - which is kinda annoying trying to find them (they don't stand out in the rulebook).

A set-up table / paragraph would be nice.

Its not that the rulebook is wrong, but easy referencing tables are handy. I semi got around this by making a foamcore insert with a specific tray for the starting resources and money so i dont forget, but i still need to look up paragraph 18) to remember the distribution.

PS: not trying to gripe - its a really good game, and previous posters are right, the rule book it correct and we got the bulk of it right first time - even the FAQ is very good with specific examples of things that people tried to do (ie. a very good FAQ) - just my suggestions for what could be done even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crikeythecat wrote:
Note sure its because of all the other Euros we play, but everyone i played with kept getting confused by which ingredient was which.

On this note, the game would be improved greatly if you put the same pictures used on the recipe cards on the equipment and worker cards. For example, "You may convert malt([picture of malt]) into hops([picture of hops]) at any time."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, I guess playing this with my friends that are homebrewing aficionados, only having ingredient names everywhere made total sense, but in retrospect it probably would be clearer if they were just symbols instead of words. I'm not sure if it would be as thematic though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rosset
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crikeythecat wrote:
I do have one other suggestion.

Page 5 of the rulebook has the set-up. To get it right you need to read all of it, but he ones that catch me our are Paragraph 17) and 18) in particular.

Even once ive played the game a few times I've got every other set-up step committed to memory so dont look at the page, but i find that i still need to reference 17) and 18) each time I play - which is kinda annoying trying to find them (they don't stand out in the rulebook).

A set-up table / paragraph would be nice.

Its not that the rulebook is wrong, but easy referencing tables are handy. I semi got around this by making a foamcore insert with a specific tray for the starting resources and money so i dont forget, but i still need to look up paragraph 18) to remember the distribution.

PS: not trying to gripe - its a really good game, and previous posters are right, the rule book it correct and we got the bulk of it right first time - even the FAQ is very good with specific examples of things that people tried to do (ie. a very good FAQ) - just my suggestions for what could be done even better.

I agree, and it's something we are looking at tweaking in the rulebook for the 2nd printing. Thanks for your feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyn Tuck

Akron
OH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love a copy of the equipment card posted in the file section so I could print it out large for my old eyes.

Please, Please, Please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crikeythecat wrote:
I make little bags with the player colors and the starting ingredients ($6, 2 malt, 1 hops). That doesn't get you the bonus for players after the first player, however. You could make bags with the bonus, and then number the bags so you know which one to take.

Incidentally, the rule that I forgot on my first play just now was that you can't brew an Advanced Recipe until you've brewed the Basic Recipe. It's pretty clear in the rules, I just forgot it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.