Subject: 1st game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Philip taught me the game at the Milton Keynes games club (now in Leighton Buzzard as previously mentioned, or Linslade to be even more precise!).

The game was very interesting and fun. I don't have all the details to mind but it was a learning game for me. Philip went through the rules and we played two turns with open hands to allow me to get to grips with it with me as USSR and Philip as US.

Europe fell pretty much as expected (I took East and he took West) and I went for it in Asia thanks to Vietnam and another card I can't remember. Philip scored Europe early on for some VPs. I then got to re-distribute some influence from Europe to anywhere on the board thanks to a card which got me some bases in S America and Africa (very useful later in the game).

Philip made good use of coups and I did poorly on this front – usually because by the time I thought of it the Defcon was at level 2! By the mid game things were looking tight with no real VP advantage. I got two good breaks though getting SE Asia scoring and having Asia Scoring come up early. I had put a lot into these regions and Philip’s hand made it impossible for him to win anything back. He played Asia scoring with me dominant and then I played SE Asia to rack me up to -17 (or thereabouts).

This then set up the final phase of the game with me going for an early victory, though if I failed Philip would probably have cleaned up in Europe in the late war. Central America became the area that would decide the game. If I could get 3 points or more I would win. Philip held the scoring card and I was pretty sure he had it as only two cards remained in the draw deck. We played out cards and influence in the area until Philip would be forced to play the scoring card. I then realised that I could win on the space race anyway (where I was ahead) as I was one spot from a 3VP space. A quick role of the dice and that was it, victory for the USSR.

Philip was a good teacher and gave me a few muligans in the game (mostly on the CIA card which I held all the way through!). If the Defcon reaches 1 (nuclear war) the player on who’s action this occurs loses the game. I kept forgetting that playing the CIA card would allow Philip to launch a coup, thus reducing the Defcon but on my action.

Thanks to Philip and everyone at the MK group for a fun day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.