Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myladies, Gentlemen,

Welcome to the 24 hour contest July 2015
The basic rules-/discussion-/subscription thread can be found here.

We still have got a supporter!
Standing ovations for

Nizo
msg tools
mbmb

who offered to tip 20 for the winner of a month's contest as long as there are at least 3 submissions per month.

Also,

Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

offered a donation of 120 for the year 2015.
That is 10 price money per month - unconditionally!

WOHOOOO!!!

The media are pushing it up to the point where you question your own sexuality: USA ALLOWES GAY MARRIAGE NATIONWIDE!
Yaaayy .. congrats!
By the way: USA did this before Germany..
"Marriage is for a man and a woman, so they can have children" - take an example and look at our chancellor.
Another pushed news is, the confederation flag is no longer allowed in games.
WHAT??
No, wait. "What?" is the wrong question here.
The question we should ask ourselves is, "Is this really, what the world needs to know? No, it isn't. What is media supposed to obscure?"

Leading us to our requirement for this month:

obscure

Remember: The requirement is a requirement - not a theme! It's up to you, how you involve it in your game!

Happy designing and kind regards,
Kai

p.s.:

In the behaviour rules (see link to basic rules thread above) I've written:
Quote:
Please create a second posting in that thread to present your creation.
Please do present your game along with a short description in a posting. The reason I ask you to do this is simple: Creating geeklist entries becomes easier for me because from time to time copy-n-pasting from PDFs produces unexpected results (such as copying only odd symbols into the clipboard ..)
Thanks a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awwwww shiiiiii, just had an idea for this contest, it's going to be absolutely stupid but hopefully thematic all at once \

Hopefully I can get to it among all the other jankery I have to get done!!!

As always, thanks for running this on-going contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooo... nice! I like this requirement!

I'll see if I can fit it in... but I'm already working on 3 RPGs, 1 board game, and learning yet another game engine for making video games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

I'll see if I can fit it in... but I'm already working on 3 RPGs, 1 board game, and learning yet another game engine for making video games...
Wow, look at you go Caroline!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

I know!

Turns out when I have a lot of free time I fill it by making lots of games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
ex1st wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

I know!

Turns out when I have a lot of free time I fill it by making lots of games...

I'm a stay at home dad cool and part time english teacher , and I barely find time to keep up with BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is really cool! (I'm new here. never thought of the idea of creating a game in a day).

I might give this a go... maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey

Welcome to the show!
Please make yourself comfortable
(Well, as comfortable as beeing part of a bunch of geeks can become )

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting requirement. I must go think on this. I will be entering this month as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Banchini
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

I know that feel bro!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Miladinovic
Serbia
Belgrade
Serbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For me last month was a mess, i did not manage to find time to make a game, and i did like the theme

this one also sounds fun, so expect something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, this requirement has really got me thinking. I've got an idea that should work, but here's the thing: it could potentially work in either of two modes, one of which is a dexterity game, and the other one not. I guess that when the day comes I'm just going to have to try both and see what looks like the best bet given the time constraint.

Darnit, I want to get testing on this, but I don't have the time yet to do the challenge properly. I'm definitely up for it this month, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice theme. I will try to hit the drawing board with this one. Thanks Kai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Leuenberger
Switzerland
Winterthur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Is this really, what the world needs to know? No, it isn't. What is media supposed to obscure?"

Those stories may not be what the world needs to know, but they are what the world wants to know.

Since it's off-topic and tl;dr for most, I'll hide my explanations as a journalist behind a spoiler tag.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm no expert on the inner workings of US media, but as a Swiss journalist I have to defend my profession: the notion that there's some kind of hidden agenda, maybe even dictated by the government, is wrong in every way - at least for the Swiss media.
Most media have exactly one goal: Earning money. They do this by selling advertisement and for that they need a big audience and clicks on their articles.
Now if you place an article about gay marriage and an article about, say, the Trans-Pacific Partnership on your front page. Guess which one gets clicked on more. Right.
What happens now is that the first article gets promoted and followed up with more articles on this topic, because nobody wants to read about the dry TPP - although it's ramifications might be much bigger.
It's by no means a perfect system. But that's how topic selection works. It's data-driven. No (swiss) government or corporation has ever dictated a single word of my articles.

That being said, the requirement is a very interesting one and I'm looking forward to the entries! Unfortunately I probably won't have time until the August contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, I may try this again after life has gotten much less (but still quite) busy for me.

What I find interesting is the multiple ways you can define the word "obscure." I guess the word itself is a bit obscure, but only by some definitions...

So, it'd be interesting to try to figure out which one of these definitions would lead to the most interesting game.

1. Clear to the eye but unclear to understand.
2. Ambiguous
3. Defined, but not defined clearly (this one could be the most frustrating =))
4. Being not well known.
5. To obscure: get in the way of something else. To conceal.

I'm thinking I might do a small card game, where #5 is taken into effect. You might build up a tableau, draft style, to meet conditions to gain points. During the drafting and playing, either you get to hide a small portion information on what you're doing to your opponent, or your opponent hides things they're going to do to your tableau. Maybe your opponent gets to pick half of what you get, and gets to hide that information from you?

So, you try to score as best as you can, and your opponent gets to hide how at the same time, they score from what you pick? I don't know, the idea needs flushing out, but it could be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, looks like no backing out now. I started thinking about the idea and kind of kept rolling with it, to the point where I already started the rulesheet, so looks like my 24 hours started around an hour ago.

Why couldn't I have just waited for the weekend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dandin wrote:
Well, looks like no backing out now. I started thinking about the idea and kind of kept rolling with it, to the point where I already started the rulesheet, so looks like my 24 hours started around an hour ago.

Why couldn't I have just waited for the weekend?

Muahahaha!

Welcome to the show

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:

Muahahaha!

Welcome to the show

Kind regards,
Kai

This ain't my first rodeo!

It's my second =P.

This time I think I kept the scope much more manageable. I'll still fail miserably when it comes to making it look good, but at least this time I don't think I'll need to be staying up till 2 AM and finishing everything at work to get it done in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rat Tooth
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Man. I was a bit disappoint that the last two themes were a bit on the nose and lead me to obvious game ideas. Now we get obscure as a theme and I can't think of anything at all.
Best I have come up with is to make some kind of card game about hipsters trying to brag about listening to the most obscure bands. no idea how to make it work tho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdaltgamer wrote:
Man. I was a bit disappoint that the last two themes were a bit on the nose and lead me to obvious game ideas. Now we get obscure as a theme and I can't think of anything at all.
Best I have come up with is to make some kind of card game about hipsters trying to brag about listening to the most obscure bands. no idea how to make it work tho
Clearly you need to use real band names for the cards, and have "I haven't heard of that" points you can award for each band someone really hasn't heard of...

Or better yet - make it like Dixit where you use obscure band album covers and people try to guess which cover goes to what band - though I still haven't quite worked out exactly how you would know which band it belongs to in the first place...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Muller
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea for this one, I think I will try my hand at it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, I only have like an hour left before my 24 is up, so I don't think it's quite practical to try to add any fancy design or theme or anything. So, here's my idea.

Players draw from 2 decks: one of Good Cards and one of Bad Cards (beware my awesome naming scheme!) All cards have a unique scoring feature, which scores at the end of the game. From their hand, players will play cards face down to either their board or their opponent's board (depending on what round it is.) After both selecting a Good Card, they will flip over and reveal what the good card is. Bad cards remain hidden until scoring.

The goal is to end with 9 cards each, in a 3 by 3 matrix.

So, by the end of the game, you'll have 5 cards you placed, and 4 cards your opponent placed on your board.

Then, you start scoring from the top row to the bottom row, revealing Bad Cards only when it is time to score (this is important, because Bad Cards can take away from your total resources.)

Additionally, at the start of the game, players pick a leader, which applies a scoring effect to each row when the row is being scored, and has an end of the game effect.

It's pretty interesting, but I definitely had a lot of errands and things pop up yesterday, so I didn't get as much time as I wanted to spend on this, and yet again I stayed up till 1am. I would have probably tried to stay up later, but for some odd reason I was tired enough that I kept trying to spell column with 3 'm's (try and figure that one out!)

The new post with the summary plus links will follow.

edit: Also, the concept of "Obscuring" comes from hiding what the Bad Cards are until you're ready to score. Also, playing Bad Cards obscures your battle plan. That may not have been the easiest to... see. See what I did there? Wait did I use this joke already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The Color War
2 Players. 10-15 minutes.

In the color war, 2 players compete to build the best tableau of cards, while actively sabotaging their opponent's tableau. Be careful of which cards you and your opponent are playing, and where they're playing their cards. Use that information to sabotage their plans, but watch out, they'll be doing the same to you!

Points are gained from the cards you played on your tableau, and lost from cards your opponent played. Have the best layout, and the best sabotages to win!

Rules:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J84wXELcrER2Jmd2pHUHNqcVE...

Cards:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7J84wXELcrENjJxRmRBY2JNMDg...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fear my MSPaint Skills, and amazing card art!

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |