• [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to have enough time to properly explain these right now, but I don't, and I'm sure someone will come along and do it right proper. But I do have enough time to get out the basics.

A Card Driven warGame is a wargame that uses cards to drive all of its mechanics. Everything you want/need to do from moving units, attacking, gaining influence, reinforcements, special events; all of these are available through your cards. Usually in the form of Operation Points, which you can spend for certain actions in the game. Games are usually played in "hands", where at the end of a hand, the round is over and the board is cleaned up a little, victory is checked, and you move on.

The wide appeal of CDG's comes from the restricted options and somewhat scripted turn. In a normal wargame, you might be able to move all your units then attack, and what exactly to do with them all could be a little daunting. In a CDG, you can only move two or three stacks of units, maybe more depending on the card you have, and the decisions become more apparent yet more important. Whether or not to play a card as an event or for ops can be a decision too.

Well, I hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy all your gaming with CDG's, if in fact you decide to jump in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Adler
England
flag msg tools
Thank you. So Memoir 44 would be a CDG? Or is a hybrid as it has dice or?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
iheartdune wrote:
Thank you. So Memoir 44 would be a CDG? Or is a hybrid as it has dice or?

Memoir '44 is a CDG. It only uses dice to resolve the combat. It uses cards to determine what can move and attack and often even the nature of the attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, M44 uses dice, but so do all the other CDGs. Dice are for combat resolution. (Except Twilight Struggle, a CDG with no combat, but it still uses dice)

I would say that M44 is a CDG, but its a very light one, with no other option other than to use the cards for movement/attack. Other CDGs are more varied, and usually have events that can happen in place of using the card for movement/attack. M44 is a game that I actually don't like too much, but can tolerate. C&C:A is probably a little better, but I can't say for sure having never played. We the People, the best introductory CDG, is unfortunately out of print, and goes for around $100 US. They claim to be making a "reprint" with the title Washington's War, but it won't be out for awhile (years). The next one in complexity I think would be Wilderness War. Which is also out of print, but can be found for $70-80 US. Then, I believe, its For the People, WWII:B2B, Paths of Glory. I did not include Twilight Struggle in this list cause I feel its not a wargame, but an area influence game. I guess it could be served as an intro into the CDG mechanic, and in that case, it would be the easiest by far.

I recommend Twilight Struggle for an intro game into the CDG mechanic, and Paths of Glory as the best CDG game out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Adler
England
flag msg tools
I see. I have actually tried quite a few CDGs I see. I just was not really familiar with the term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a geeklist with all the CDG's. Except Pax Romana.....not sure why that one's on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.