Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone here ever put games with wasted box space into smaller boxes for better storage? I've a few games that I know are wasting valuable shelf space, but finding something better to put them in has generalyl seems like a waste of time.

That said, I found this site selling boxes like this - http://www.tinyboxcompany.co.uk/p/9054292/luxury-white-a5-bo... and from the page they look like they're make very good alternative boxes, just need a logo stuck on the sides and a copy of the front cover and there's maybe space for a dozen more games if the main offenders are shrunk down to a consistent size of box (A TTR size game without a board should fit nicely into a European A5 size box, and with 50mm depth, that should work nicely. They should then, in themselves, them hopefully stack and arrange pretty nicely.

I was thinking it was daft spending £2 and time, on a £10 game like Havana, but ultimately it's an alternative to needing another BILLY or KALLAX and a sqaure metre of precious floor space in my house, not about pimping out a single game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once thought about smaller boxes too, but after some thought I dropped the idea.
My main reasons are the time to craft nice boxes (just a white box with the logo of the game wouldn't cut it for me) and the left over boxes that I somehow would not get rid of (mainly because of possible (math) trades). I can see myself trade almost every game given a large enough timeframe – even great games add nothing to my collection if I never play them anymore (i.e. lack of other willing players, too many other great games).

This brings me into a special situation where the time investment is only worth it for my most liked games, but that's where a dull looking box is just wrong for me . After all, those are the games that I most likely will recommend to others to play it and a so-so crafted box gives not the right kind of first impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they wouldn't look as good. But then again as I like making Foamcore inserts when the mood strikes, starting with a decent card boz you can glue stuff directly into, you're half way home before you even start. And Boxes would go in the attic next to the pile of Dominion expansions, no way I'd actually bin them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mb

I have certainly been tempted, but so far am too lazy/untalented to do so. So instead I tend to buy games which come in appropriate sized boxes and avoid games which come in boxes half-filled with air.

E.g. I am very happy with my recently acquired Wir sind das Volk!, which comes in a nice compact box; many publishers would definitely have put this mounted map, 84 cards, lots of wooden bits, etc into a box with literally 4 times the volume. Kudos to histogames for this good compact box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
mb

I have certainly been tempted, but so far am too lazy/untalented to do so. So instead I tend to buy games which come in appropriate sized boxes and avoid games which come in boxes half-filled with air.

E.g. I am very happy with my recently acquired Wir sind das Volk!, which comes in a nice compact box; many publishers would definitely have put this mounted map, 84 cards, lots of wooden bits, etc into a box with literally 4 times the volume. Kudos to histogames for this good compact box.

Good plan. I got The Great Heartland Hauling Co. yesterday, and it must be one of the msot tightly packed games I've seen, and mostly the inspriation for this thread.

although Pax Porfiriana is a close contender

Try sleeving either of them!

Missed out of a dirt cheap copy of Wir Sind last week on eBay, may well grab it soon though. I do really wonder about the logic of big game boxes. The "answer" seems to be that it's all about shelf presence in stores, but the majority of purchases come outside of FLGS and surely literally being seen on a shelf can't matter that much, compared to the benefits of being cheaper, and cheaper to post when you're in a smaller package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
I do really wonder about the logic of big game boxes. The "answer" seems to be that it's all about shelf presence in stores, but the majority of purchases come outside of FLGS and surely literally being seen on a shelf can't matter that much, compared to the benefits of being cheaper, and cheaper to post when you're in a smaller package.

A good discussion on the subject of box sizes and retail perception just ran over on this thread. The TL;DR is that many consumers unconciously feel like a bigger box indicates bigger value / time involved = worth more money.

The only re-boxing I've done was to go up a box. I bought The Agents (great game!) and all its expansions, but didn't want to drop $25 on the fancy box, so I got my own bigger box (that fits very nicely) at the container store. I cut up the original box and glued the bits on the side. It certainly wouldn't pass muster as 'looking good,' but it holds the whole game and fits nicely on my shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Larchenko
Russia
Ivanteevka
Moscow region
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Anyone here ever put games with wasted box space into smaller boxes

I use such method for all my card games:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pard wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Anyone here ever put games with wasted box space into smaller boxes

I use such method for all my card games:

Wow. That's a hell of a lot of work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Larchenko
Russia
Ivanteevka
Moscow region
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Wow. That's a hell of a lot of work!

Why do you think so?

I spend 2 min to make game file from template (check link in geeklist).

Then print 2 A4/Letter paper sheets on printer, cut and fold them (no any glue!) - 5 min more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put a lot of games in deck boxes- the 80 card Ultra Pro ones. Including Great Heartland; with the badlands expansion, but without the truck-stop cards or rule book all fits snug in one of those. If it were sleeved it would all fit in a 100+ deck box (which I used for a full sleeved copy of Zeppelin Attack with all expansions/promos).

Splendor, minus the chips all fits in an 80 box also (again, no rule book). Some chits made for the tokens would fit in there too but I always used mini poker chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.