Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games That Would Have Been Boring Without A Specific Aspect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Combs
msg tools
Whether that aspect was a theme, a mechanic, certain components, etc. These are games that you would never suggest playing were it not for one specific aspect of the game.

For example, the only reason I ever ask my buddies if they want to play XCOM: The Board Game is because of the Timed Phase. If you were still making the same choices you do but weren't timed, I'd probably find XCOM to be one of the more boring games in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I don't owe you my trust. You owe me your proof.
badge
This is my incredulous face.
mbmbmb
This would make a good GeekList...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Downfall of Pompeii would be pretty boring if not for throwing your opponents into Mt. Vesuvius.

Great fun as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples To Apples would've been (even more) boring were it not for the flavor text it has on the earlier editions of the game.

Puerto Rico would've been boring (to me anyways) without the 10th anniv. edition souped up components and artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Combs
msg tools
SaintlyThomas wrote:
This would make a good GeekList...

That was my original intention before I started this thread, but unfortunately I don't have that many games in my collection, and I tend to be the only person in my groups who goes out of their way to buy games. The only game anyone else ever seems to spend money on is Magic: The Gathering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Martin
United States
Marietta
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can allow other users to add items to your geeklist. Actually, I believe it is the default option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem without the "right" approach by the players re: negotiation and banter. Mechanically it's mundane, the magic sauce is in the player interactions. If you play with eurosnoots it's a distressingly dull experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Village would be just another worker placement game. Then you include the part where you have multigenerational families living, growing old, and dying (for points?!). Suddenly this game tells interesting stories of the family you control throughout the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Combs
msg tools
sir_gunblade wrote:
You can allow other users to add items to your geeklist. Actually, I believe it is the default option.

The more you know.

Time to make a Geeklist, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crossbows and Catapults would have been boring without being able to chuck the pieces at my brother's head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
- Dominion without its expansions.

I admit there were already 3 expansions when I played it but I think I'd have found that game really dull if the base was all i had to choose from.

- Clash of cultures without those awesome components

I wanted to increase the size of my city just to put more cool plastic bits on the board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Bohnanza would have been boring without the rule that you can't change the order of cards in your hand. Gloom would be boring without the storytelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem If you play with eurosnoots it's a distressingly dull experience.

True words, and not just for the game in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Rattlebones didn't have the "changing the sides of your dice", and was instead a game where you purchased extra (static) dice, cards, powers, whatever, then that's already been done before. The changing of the dice faces is not only a new twist, but the first of its twist too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Manhattan Project re-themed as a trading in the Mediterranean would be a bore.snoresnore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeklist here: Games That Would Have Been Boring Without a Specific Aspect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.