Subject: Reaction cards : only reaction player can use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
5.32 "Only the player currently cast in the role of Reaction player may play Reaction cards."

Appears quite clear: it doesn't say Reaction event, it says Reaction card.

So I would assume that if the offensives player only had a Reaction card in his hand he could only discard it or use a pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play any card for Ops as your card play. You can't play a Reaction card during your own turn as an Event.

The rule is meant to say, I believe, that you can't play Reaction cards on your own turn. So the US can't do an Offensive and then play a sub card on his or her own offensive (to sink Japanese ships that react to the Offensive.)

I agree that the phrasing could be a bit clearer here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What you have posted is probably the case; it's odd that even by ver 3 it's still not clear. Hopefully we can get an official answer or something in the faq/errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the wording in many places of the rules is unclear and serves to confuse matters.

I think the problem is that there is no such thing as a "Reaction Card," strictly. In the rules it states quite clearly in the very beginning that all cards are called "Strategy Cards."

Strategy cards have Ops values and Events. Cards have many subtypes, Military, Reaction, Resource, Political, etc, etc. There are Reaction Events on Strategy cards of the Reaction subtype. These may be played when the player is in a Reaction role. If the player is not currently in a reaction role, they may not play an event as a reaction listed on a reaction-type Strat Card.

You could not play this as a Regular Event during your impulse, (even if you wanted to), because if you read through the Reaction events, they all predicate that you are being attacked, and provide you with some recourse to address this situation. They would be, in fact, useless as Events if you played them as an Offensive on your impulse.

I don't see this as unclear in the least, which is likely why it has never been addressed in a FAQ in the ten years or so since this game has been published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bignickel wrote:
5.32 "Only the player currently cast in the role of Reaction player may play Reaction cards."

Appears quite clear: it doesn't say Reaction event, it says Reaction card.

So I would assume that if the offensives player only had a Reaction card in his hand he could only discard it or use a pass.

This is incorrect, you can play any card as the offensive player as an OC, but you can only play a reaction card event while the reaction player. The beginning of the section 5.0 it states, "A strategy card may be played as either an Operations Card (OC) or as an Event (EC)... it makes no distinction to category.

As far as the wording goes you have picked one sentence out of context. The preceding sentence states, "When a player is in the role of a Reaction player, the only strategy cards that may be played are those that state in their title that they are a reaction event.

Later in the same paragraph is states, "A reaction player is limited to playing a maximum of three Reaction events in response to a specific offensive..."

I hope that clears up the mystery.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.