BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: How would you be different if you'd not found boardgamegeek? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what is the life-changing effect of finding the website boardgamegeek.com? In what ways would you be different, and in what ways would your life be different if you'd never found boardgamegeek.com? Hard to imagine perhaps, but consider the implications of you never having discovered this website, all it offers, and what it's led you to buy and do and read and type - just what differences would we notice in a boardgamegeek-less life of yours? Go on, fess up, and props to Aldie and co!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamontagne
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My life would be the same...If you don't find BGG, BGG will find you. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be hanging out on some street corner drinking wine from a bottle in a paper bag, hoping for someone to come by and drop a few miniatures in my tattered hat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have a lot more Risk varients under my belt.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokey Brown
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Maschinen Plunger
mbmbmb
Re: How would you be different if you'd not found boardgameg
I would have 20,000 more dollars in my banks account...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My board game collection would be a hell of a lot smaller, and I'd have spent that money on something else entirely.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um...I'd actually have closet space?

laugh

To answer seriously, it is possible I would be out of gaming in a non-electric sense altogether had it not been for BGG.

Right before I found BGG, we had grown tired of CCGs. (Contrary to popular belief, it is possible for people to realize what a money pit they are--it isn't a case of BGG "groupthink". See my geeklist at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1018724 for details.)

We were just looking for other stuff to play. I had purchased some of the Star Wars board games when the movies were out--Epic Duels and Clash of the Lightsabers. Of course, looking for more stuff to play I'd go to TRU and Wal-Mart and find just total drek, so I thought, "surely there must be more of these types of games out there."

Googling for Star Wars games found Queen's Gambit, and trying to find a copy of Queen's Gambit led me here.

Otherwise, I'd probably have bit the bullet on a few cool-looking but ultimately crappy games and just given up on non-electronic gaming completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My board game collection would be a hell of a lot smaller, and I'd have spent that money on something else entirely.

My thoughts exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably be about £3000 richer...

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be Prime Minister by now, or would have found a cure for cancer or something.

BGG has destroyed the chances of humanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
I'd probably be about £3000 richer...

James

I would be $(€3000x1.3213) richer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bolderson
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably would have bought Rocketville.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
I would have a lot more Risk varients under my belt.....

That was exactly my thoughts when I saw this thread. We used to spend countless hours playing Risk growing up and in college. If not for BGG, there's a good chance I too would be playing this and its countless incarnations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Chen
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a scary thought.. but yes I would be a lot richer too.

And severely lacking from a social aspect shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Well... I presume the question is not how life would be different if BGG didn't exist, right? Because I do think that the site is a significant catalyst in the recent growth of the hobby.

Considering that, I know my collection would not have been as big - I had about 20 games before I found BGG, like Settlers, Guillotine, Great Khan Game (!), Risk etc - and I certainly not have become such an avid boardgamer. That means that I would not have more or less deserted competitive bridge and the majority of my role playing game time.

The impacts of boardgaming as a serious hobby for me have been subtle but significant. It has given us many opportunities to interact with people we would not have met before. We now have a great and safe "in" to meeting parents of other kids in our children's class - actually making it a little less awkward the first time around, and in most cases later making it a great option for an evening when, as is typical for parents of young kids, we can't all leave our houses.

Surprisingly enough, the hobby is also beginning to establish itself (still in a very minor way) as a business tool of sorts - I have now taken to calling it "geekgolf". I've introduced Lost Cities to a number of business contacts, and have found a surprising number of other such contacts who already are "into" the hobby. It's almost like a secret society that is unexpectedly prevalent.

It has allowed me to bring my wife into my geeky ways - I had dragged her into RPG's, but that has never caught on as much as boardgames, where she is as competitive as they come. It has also allowed me to share a geeky passion with my kids from a very early age, hopefully making it likely that they end up adopting the hobby themselves and finding it to be a neat outlet for some of their creative energy as they grow up.

And it allows me to do things like have "BIG G33K" on my license plate and have people who know me - personally or from business - chuckle instead of think I'm just weird

And BGG has facilitated all of the above, and quite a bit more. So I am quite thankful for it. Yes, all of this might have happened otherwise, as I was already on the path of playing and enjoying boardgames, but this way I got to acquire this bug at a much earlier age where I will derive a lot more enjoyment out of it throughout my life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without BGG, I wouldn't have started playing Euros and my family would have left me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still be buying CCG, CMG, CSG, TCG, RPG's and still not playing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, no kidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I'd be hanging out on some street corner drinking wine from a bottle in a paper bag, hoping for someone to come by and drop a few miniatures in my tattered hat.

The question was how your life would be different.

**Disclaimer: THAT WAS A JOKE!!!! I am in no way implying that Paul actually sits at a street corner drinking wine from a paper cup. Of course, I have never met him, so I have no way to verify that he doesn't. But that's not the point. Perhaps someone who is a close personal friend or acquaintance of Paul can inform everyone as to the status of his corner-sitting and paper-cup-wine drinking, just to make sure that no one drops in on this thread and gets an incorrect impression of Paul's personal character. We can't be too careful these days.**

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie Well, without BGG, my job would be even MORE tedious! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get my gaming info primarily from rec.games.board, and rec.games.board would probably be busier than what it is today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others have mentioned, I would also have many Risk variants and I would also have purchased Rocketville.

Before BGG, I had a few games: three variants of Monopoly, Disney Trivia, Lord of the Rings, Pirate's Cove, and Runebound. I think I would have discovered a few interesting games but not like I did here. I would not have nearly as many games as I have now. I would have been sucked into the collectible minis games.

I would not have met some really interesting people and I would not have discovered interesting educational games for my children.

Through BGG, my husband and I have found new and interesting ways to spend time together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchstickman wrote:
Where's the 'report a concern about an unfunny joke' button when you need it...

Hmmm...are you making a personal attack on my sense of humor (or lack thereof- I beat you to it)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.