Small World» Forums » General

Subject: Question: defense? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I keep reading reviews about there not being any defense in this game as in you can't defend the land you aquire. I know you race can't last forever but here's some questions.

1 put you race in decline and then aquire your new race then next turn conquer your declines race and replace with your new one and then expand. Is this thinking a good way to think?
2 why do people say there's no defending can't you just keep alot of your tokens on 3/4 lands?

Anyway was just wanting to see your all thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say there is no defense in the game as you can make it harder for your opponent to conquer you [multiple troops in a region/on a mountain/pick up and leave/etc.]

For your questions:

1- it's almost never in your best interest to eat your own declined races [though there might be a situation or 2 where it might be an acceptable play. Otherwise, no point in killing your VP-generating lands.

Edit = remember you earn VPs on your declined races too [normally, not factoring in powers/abilities]

2- See above. There isn't a way to specifically protect a region (unless you have a power or ability that does so), but as I mentioned early, you can easily make yourself a very difficult (and costly for your opponent) target
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KingD21 wrote:
I wouldn't say there is no defense in the game as you can make it harder for your opponent to conquer you [multiple troops in a region/on a mountain/pick up and leave/etc.]

For your questions:

1- it's almost never in your best interest to eat your own declined races [though there might be a situation or 2 where it might be an acceptable play. Otherwise, no point in killing your VP-generating lands.

Edit = remember you earn VPs on your declined races too [normally, not factoring in powers/abilities]

2- See above. There isn't a way to specifically protect a region (unless you have a power or ability that does so), but as I mentioned early, you can easily make yourself a very difficult (and costly for your opponent) target

Thanks sounds good it's clear to me that you must examine the board and placement of other armies and then examine the available armies to the side and make a strategic descion from that. Sounds very cool getting It friday hopefully I like it enough to get some expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when people say there is no defense, what they mean is combat* is entirely deterministic. This isn't Risk where when you are attacked, you can roll dice or play a card or something to try to defend your region. If you have 2 tokens on a region it costs 4 to conquer (assuming no racial or power discounts). If your opponent wants to spend those 4 tokens to conquer your region, there is nothing you can do other than try talking them out of it.

There is defense in the sense that you can place your tokens in such a way that your front lines are more expensive to conquer, and there are racial & special power abilities that add defensive tokens to your regions making them more expensive to conquer.

*there really isn't even "combat" or "attacking," you "conquer" other regions by spending the tokens to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.