Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I swear when I was going through the rules, I read something about this very question, but now I can't find it, and I'm questioning my sanity. (Ok, I normally question that, but still...)

Dr. Doom's Battle Suit allows him to discard a Villain card to cause any defensive roll with 4 or more hits to be an automatic success, regardless of player's hits.

We played that Doom didn't have to discard until after all the dice were rolled. So, he knew how many hits the F4 had, and he knew how many hits he had... which prevented him from EVER discarding without actually having to.

This seemed to make him damned near unstoppable. Although, someone in another thread mentioned that Mr. and Mrs. Richards (with the fair lady in support) might be able to trump him by making all his double and boosted hits disappear...

Did we play it right? Or, does Doom need to discard the card before rolling, running the risk of an unneeded discard?

--Saphon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the timing rules, it indicates that when an ability affects the number of dice rolled, it has to be done prior to rolling. Conversely, when it affects the results of a dice roll--as in the case of Doom's suit--it is done after dice are rolled by both players but before comparing results.

The wording on that is a little wonky, as it almost seems to suggest players would roll dice in secret, but we figured that the "before comparing results" part just means before adding and subtracting and deciding the outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Becerra Aller
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You play it right, Doom uses the Battle Suit ability after his own defense roll, much like many other power such as Wolverine's Regeneration.
And, also, you only need 3 hits to be able to use it, not 4!! laugh

Dr. Doom is indeed the most direct combat oriented Nemesis. His Battle suit power, and his combat numbers are the best of all Master Villains, hence his Henchmen rating of 0 and his Scheming "skill".

BUT, to be able to defeat him, although there's nothing wrong with the Mr & Ms Richards como, I'd rather prefer using the Human Torch: Roll 4 Dice as attacker, get 4 hits (not really hard), spend one resource card and Voilà: one instant KO to old Victor he can't prevent by any means.

On the other hand, it would be really, really tough to Defeat Doom using the Thing.

In fact, when playing as a Villain, I think twice before lunging with Doom if Johnny Storm is troubleshooting the Headline...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peterson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caedes wrote:

On the other hand, it would be really, really tough to Defeat Doom using the Thing.

Not if you have the right ally cards in play...

An ally card that boosts outwit really helps--and Thing's 3 KO capacity gives him an advantage against Doom's attacks. Doom only has 2 KOs (at least at the beginning of the game--Doom gets much harder after he has completed the prologue to his Master Plan).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
Reverend Pete wrote:
Doom gets much harder after he has completed the prologue to his Master Plan).

Yeah. And damn near impossible to defeat after stage 2. Still, we played yesterday and Spidey beat him two out of three times. In the first battle spidey got unlucky and Doom earned his suit. The second battle was an impressive slugfest, with both sides discarding cards left and right (spider sense and allies for spidey, suit power for Doom), which ended in a nasty outwit and attack combo by spidey (poor Victor didn't have any cards left for the suit).

- Anwar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Becerra Aller
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverend Pete wrote:
Caedes wrote:

Not if you have the right ally cards in play...

An ally card that boosts outwit really helps--.

It could be argued that if you have the right ally cards you can defeat anyone, granted the other players didn't play a "Agents of th AIM" no Allies Card.
And, of course, Dormammu devil

But, without taking allies into the equation, poor Thing'll have a really really tough time in defeating Doom. I know. I tried. soblue

Caedes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anwar wrote:
Reverend Pete wrote:

Yeah. And damn near impossible to defeat after stage 2. Still, we played yesterday and Spidey beat him two out of three times. In the first battle spidey got unlucky and Doom earned his suit. The second battle was an impressive slugfest, with both sides discarding cards left and right (spider sense and allies for spidey, suit power for Doom), which ended in a nasty outwit and attack combo by spidey (poor Victor didn't have any cards left for the suit).

- Anwar

Wait....how does Spiderman fight Dr. Doom? We have always played that the only time you fight an archnemesis, is when it's YOUR archnemesis. Since Spidey is A Marvel Knight, shouldn't he be fighting Kingpin rather than Doom? Did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Goodwin
United States
Grayslake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Saberj wrote:
Anwar wrote:
Reverend Pete wrote:

- Anwar

Wait....how does Spiderman fight Dr. Doom? We have always played that the only time you fight an archnemesis, is when it's YOUR archnemesis. Since Spidey is A Marvel Knight, shouldn't he be fighting Kingpin rather than Doom? Did I miss something?

I think the Acts of Vengance Scenario switches up each team's nemisis with another teams nemisis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anwar Dalati
Germany
Hamburg-Altona
flag msg tools
mb
OusterX wrote:
Saberj wrote:

I think the Acts of Vengance Scenario switches up each team's nemisis with another teams nemisis.

Exactly.

- Anwar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.