Subject: More Heroscape, or something new? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: heroscape [+] [View All]
KB
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, I should be able to make up my mind on my own - but I have a full time job, and my part time job (cooking) is close to full time at this time of year and I can't take the vacillation anymore! Granted, it is my own wavering that is making me crazy, but i would still love some help.

After changing my mind uncountable times as to what to get my daughter I am going with Transamerica. One game down. My son, on the other hand...I can't decide. More Heroscape, as he loves it? He doesn't have the wasteland thingy or Road to the Forbidden Forest, so there is stuff I could get.

And yet...part of me thinks that he should be introduced to something new. Despite only having discovered Heroscape this past summer. Here are some of the games he asks to play most often:
Colossal Arena
Bohnanza
Heroscape
Frag
Munchkin (no, I will NOT buy him the one Munchkin expansion he is missing!)
Risk LOTR

Any suggestions? Help...I'm drowning in uncertainty!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Get him the Forest expansion for Heroscape. It really adds a lot and a whole new dimension to the game with trees for cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
How old is your son? It's hard to recommend anything without knowing that. Are you getting one game for him or more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KB
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soory - that was a vital piece of info. He's 14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the forest expansion is well worth it for Heroscape. If you don't have it yet, get it

For other games he might enjoy, check out Nexus Ops. It's a light sci-fi combat game, feels very much like a RTS. Lots of fun and I think a 14 year old would really get into the theme, pieces and mechanics. Just enough strategy to let you make good decisions but there's enough luck to keep things exciting and different each time you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jullie
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since there is a RISK game on that list, might I suggest Nexus Ops. I'm a child of RISK and have grown to love several similar games. Right now, Nexus Ops is one of my favorites. It has great components, a great rule set that discourages "turtling" and teaming up on one player, a fun theme, and a playtime that usually runs between 1 to 1.5 hours.

It's been a solid game in my collection and one that gets a lot of table time. To me, it seems to be the next step up from RISK as it includes various aliens, different terrain, resource gathering, and card play.

P.S. Also worth mentioning is RISK 2210 (or whatever date it is). Our group finds it to be the best version of RISK. It adds an extra layer to the game and adds the all important game clock to keep the time under control. I don't find it quite as good as Nexus Ops, but that tends to boil down to personal taste (one member of my game group will play this anytime it is mentioned).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
LOTR Risk is the better choice of the ones you mentioned for a 14-year old. Though I personally like Colossal Arena the best. The Heroscape forest expansion (or any Heroscape expansion) is also a great choice. On the slightly more expensive side, he might be interested in something a little more in-depth and lengthier than Heroscape such as Descent, Runebound, of World of Warcraft. BattleLore would be a fantastic choice for a quicker game or Memoir'44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Since he seems to enjoy humorous card games I would recommend Spank the Monkey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.