Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Lundin
Sweden
Lund
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy gamers!

Hope the sun shines on your winter faded armchair General faces and that your rule reading in the hammock gives you pleasure.

My self's contemplating the so-called "Dark Ages" in our European history (about 450-800). There were quite a lot of conflict during these centuries, but surprisingly few conflict simulations have been produced on the topic (for example when comparing to what occurred in Luxembourg and Eastern Belgium in December-January 1944/5 ...).

After basically having found nothing in my own quest for good consims concerning the period I turn to my peers here on the Geek to see if you can beat my zero.

/ Andreas Lundin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign of the Pagan covers the Battle of the Catalaunian Fields, which was fought in 451. There's also an old SPI game Dark Ages that is a tactical system that covers various battles during the period.

Justinian, which is included with Cataphract, would give a strategic look at the Byzantine Empire at the beginning of your timeframe. While Cataphract itself gives a tactical look at it.

At the other end of your time period, Empires of the Middle Ages covers 771 to 1467. Basically the earliest scenario and campaign start with Charlemagne.

There's not a lot out there on this period. And what is there is kind of book ends your time period rather than covering the heart of it.

You might get more responses if you posted this in the wargames general forum. I'm not sure how much traffic this subforum actually gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Strahler
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The A la charge Series published in Vae Victis magazine has some games covering battles from this period, and slightly later. They're pretty simple, but cover topics that don't seem to have been looked at before.

Both Vae Victis and Strategy & Tactics have published strategic level game on Byzantium as well.

And there's of course Cataphract from GBoH that was already mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lundin
Sweden
Lund
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

I knew about Cataphract (a pity its OOP and hard to find)and the S&T games, but didn't know about the others. Great sugestions.

What strikes me is the lack of new games depicting fighting in this this period. A friend of mine suggested that the reason for this might be "nationalistic" in nature. The "nations" in this period does not exist today and tehrefore people have a hard time to emotionally and rationally "connect" to this time period.

A counter argument is that the same can be said about the ancient period and several SF-type games so I do not entirely buy that argument, but it is an interesting notion.

Maybe it's because this time period often is skipped over in school and other educational establishments. Also documentaries/cinemas/tv-series on television and other media seldom cover this exciting time period. Ergo it's not a well known period. Even among us grogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comparatively little is known compared to prior and subsequent periods due to lack of records.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.