44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Need Card Templates HELP PLEASE!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roric Blanton
msg tools
I need a little help here from all of you.

My group and I are working on an expanded game based on the Firefly Board Game. We currently have two original game sets, the Blue sun expansion as well as the Artful Dodger and the Pirates and Bounty Hunters expansions. We have doubled up all the navigation cards, playing pieces and money and some of the gear cards. But it is “getting awfully crowded in my space” with 9 of us playing and resources still get thin very quick.

We have created a map of the entire “Verse” according to the Verse in Numbers created by J. Chris Bourdier. “It will have hundreds of planets and thousands of moons” (not really). All in all about three times the amount of spaces now available in the game (including the two expansions).

We already have a bunch of new story cards and the like and each of us have made custom leader cards, as well as added new supply planets and custom gear and of course custom crew and new contact and job cards. But some of the cards we have made are that not great looking.

What I Need are Templates for:
• Ship Cards (I found one that is very custom that might work out)
• Contact Cards
• Upgrade Cards
• Nav Cards (both Alliance & Reaver space)
• Piracy Cards
• Misbehave Cards
• Setup Cards (I can prolly use the Story Card and change colors)
• Any and all fonts (or where to get them) used that are close to the “real” cards
• Any other cards that anyone has come up with and are willing to share

This is a big endeavor so Any help at all will be Shiny! My group has delegated the tasks to get this thing running. My job is to find/make the new card templates and get them ready to print. So any help will be appreciated because any card templates that I can’t find I will have to make.

A Summary of what we are trying to accomplish:

We plan on running up to 12 Player ships and 3 NPC ships 4+/- Reaver Ships (two different classes), and 3+/- Alliance ships (two different classes) Twice the supply planets and contacts and 4 times the visitable planets.

To speed the game up there are to be three travel speeds Mosey & Full Burn (as per game) Meander would be half full burn speed and uses 1 fuel and draws 1 Nav Card. Ie. If Full Burn is 6 Meander would be 3 spaces 1 fuel 1 Nav card.

Two players will be active at a time and the Reavers and Alliance ships move every Turn.

All Ships start with a Leader and one crew that can be handpicked (or custom made and group approved)

Players will be able to have more active jobs as well. Depending on crew size and ship size (still hashing out the details)

I am also thinking about doing “Passenger Cards” Allowing their background story to affect the outcome of certain jobs whenever you have passengers on board.

We are also working on salvage & rescue cards for encounters with the NPC ships.

I saw on the board that someone (gwek I think) did “Local Color Cards”& “Notoriety Cards” I liked them and plan on contacting them for permission to harvest their idea. Also the Black Market Cards look Shiny!

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Once we get this thing off the ground I will post the Map, cards, pieces, and any rules that we come up with so that you all can enjoy.

Thanx in advance for any help,

BP Browncoats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.G. Manifold
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This sounds like quite the project! I'm excited to hear back after a trial/playthrough.

That said, there is this thread that has some good resources.

Also, gwek has made some custom cards for his expansions. He may be a better resource for card specific images.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm definitely curious to see what you come up with!

For your expanded map, I assume you have an entire NEW map rather than an expansion of the existing one? For the record, I believe there are about 275 celestial bodies (assuming you could things like asteroid belts and swarms as a single entity), so I think it wind up being "dozens of planets and hundreds of moons." (I was actually just playing with the trimmed down version of the 'Verse in Numbers last night in anticipation of my upcoming RPG).

What kind of stuff have you done for story cards, leaders, supply planets and contacts? Even with a dozen players, I would think there are probably enough jobs to go around, no?

I'm sure you want to create your own stuff, but if you're looking for new supplies, feel free to nab from mine. I know you mentioned The Black Market, but I also have ACES & EIGHTS (with 25 new supplies and 3 new leaders) and a number of ship packs (each with a complete Crew, including leader, new ship, and various other cards).

With respect to templates, I'm happy to share what I have. If you come across (or wind up with) stuff that I don't have, I'd appreciate them in return.

I have a Leader/Crew template in PhotoShop that I'm very happy with (prints fantastic).

Our Gear Card (which also includes a Ship Upgrade option, but is currently missing both Meridian and Ship Core Drives) is passable but needs a bit of work to be as pretty.

I also have a Bounty Template that looks good on-screen but the resolution may be a little low when printing. I have a Story Card template, but no Set-Up.

Do you have Drop Box access? I have a folder I can share that houses most of my templates (added bonus: when I update templates, I move them there.)

Have you given any thought to how you'll get the cards printed? Do you plan to use a Website? If so, I would suggest PrinterStudio. I originally used Artscow, but every purchase was plagued by delays and the customer service is terrible frustrating. I've only used PrinterStudio twice, but have been very happy with their quality, turnaround time, and customer support.

Do you use NPC ships besides Reavers and the Alliance? If so, I'm really curious how it works out. I've fiddled with NPC Merchants and Bounty Hunters, but haven't settled on a system I like.

By the way, I know you mentioned expanding the size of the Nav Decks. With Kalidasa, all three Nav Decks will be expanding to 60 cards each.

With respect to "Passenger Cards," you may want to check out my "They've All Got Stories" deck or AceofShade's "Non-generic Passengers and Fugitives." I don't think either is QUITE what you're talking about, but may be in the same neighborhood.

Feel free to use Local Color. The deck is printable at Artscow. Corvin, who did all the artwork, put the template in the Files section of the Firefly page, so if you want to make new ones, it should be pretty easy.

Which are the "Notoriety Cards" you're referencing? I have a leader disadvantage deck, and have played with Loyalty. Other folks have done different goals like "Legends of the 'Verse."

If you're interested in checking out my stuff, I've collected a lot of it here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1281407/whats-gwek-been

It was last updated three months ago... and I know I've done more stuff since then!

With respect to fonts, I think folks have collected various lists, but this thread has some helpful stuff:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1378855/fonts

In addition to the fonts mentioned, you'll want Cyberpunk is Not Dead and Forque.

Good luck! I'm always happy to collaborate or offer feedback, so if I can help in any way, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roric Blanton
msg tools
Yeah the map is going to be huge. We are going to paint a wall in my basement with the magnet paint, and hang the map on it. Then all the pieces will have magnets on them to stick on the wall/map. I believe he is putting all the planets moons etc. on the map so we can use it when we RPG.

The ship cards are also going to be magnetic so they can stand up in the custom player trays that another guy is building for us. That way we can move around the map as we play and not dislodge everything.

So far we have been using just the game stuff except for the custom leaders and a few crew and ships. The girl working on the card content has come up with a some good stuff so far but nothing concrete yet.

I have been checking your stuff out and WOW you really do have a lot of what I am looking for. I do (or did) have a drop box but I have to remember my user & password.

As for printing I have looked around and was going to ask who was the best. I will check them out. I figure at first while we are testing Ill just print them myself so we can make adjustments on the fly.

The NPC Ships have been a problem; still hashing them out. I saw a post on board of about NPCs and I might implement some of those ideas next time we play. But I'm with you that I haven't found a good system yet.

The nav deck prolly is (or will be) big enough we have a few new ideas for it that might add some spice.

The Legends of the verse is the one I saw I will check out your Leader disadvantage cards and loyalty.

Thanx For all the info I will be in touch as soon as I have a minute to go over everything. I will try to start posting stuff to my gallery as soon as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roric Blanton
msg tools
Awesome!! That is a big help. Thanx!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A few questions and comments...

dertywerd wrote:
I believe he is putting all the planets moons etc. on the map so we can use it when we RPG.

Out of curiosity, where are you guys located?

Have you collected any info for the RPG? I ran a Star Wars game on and off for over a decade, and now that I'm switching to Firefly, I realize there's no single source of material like Wookieepedia. Right now, I'm in the early stages of collecting info from various RPGs and other sources into a single, consolidated spreadsheet for myself... but if something like that already exists, I'd love to get my hands on it.

Quote:
So far we have been using just the game stuff except for the custom leaders and a few crew and ships. The girl working on the card content has come up with a some good stuff so far but nothing concrete yet.

I'm always excited to see what folks come up with!

Quote:
I have been checking your stuff out and WOW you really do have a lot of what I am looking for. I do (or did) have a drop box but I have to remember my user & password.
]

Let me know. Unless GF9 gets mad, I'm always happy to share.

Quote:
As for printing I have looked around and was going to ask who was the best. I will check them out. I figure at first while we are testing Ill just print them myself so we can make adjustments on the fly.

Yeah, I usually do a lot of playtesting and fiddling before printing. One of the nice things about PrinterStudio is that you can print iterations of 18 cards, so if you want to run a sample, it's cheaper and easier than Artscow (where the minimum is 54).

Quote:
The NPC Ships have been a problem; still hashing them out. I saw a post on board of about NPCs and I might implement some of those ideas next time we play. But I'm with you that I haven't found a good system yet.

Out of curiosity, what are you looking to accomplish with the NPC ships?

It may be very different than my own goals - I often play solo or 2--layer games, so I'm looking for NPCs to make Piracy and Bounty Hunting more interesting.

Quote:
I will try to start posting stuff to my gallery as soon as I can.

Looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krisztian Posch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am amazed. When it becomes a reality upload some pictures please. Thanks in advance. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Leftwich
msg tools
If you have dropbox, PM me. I have a misbehave template. And I added Meridian to the gear template that George/gwek shot my way a few weeks back.

I've actually been looking into doing a contacts/jobs template, but there are a ton of little things involved. Plus we've been so busy at work recently I've hardly touched it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Daniel, I remember the Misbehave template, but did I get the Meridian addition from you?

Maybe we can entice Bill S. into making the Job template. He's done a fantastic job with the map and other elements and did an amazing "face side" for me:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Leftwich
msg tools
gwek wrote:
Daniel, I remember the Misbehave template, but did I get the Meridian addition from you?

Maybe we can entice Bill S. into making the Job template. He's done a fantastic job with the map and other elements and did an amazing "face side" for me:

I thought it was in the folder I gave you access to. It's just an additional frame in the gear template. If you don't have it, or don't have access, let me know.

And that card looks awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roric Blanton
msg tools

Out of curiosity, where are you guys located?

We are just outside of Baltimore, Maryland.

Have you collected any info for the RPG? I ran a Star Wars game on and off for over a decade, and now that I'm switching to Firefly, I realize there's no single source of material like Wookieepedia. Right now, I'm in the early stages of collecting info from various RPGs and other sources into a single, consolidated spreadsheet for myself... but if something like that already exists, I'd love to get my hands on it.

I actually have all the "official" RPG rules for firefly and Cortex system plus a bunch of unofficial stuff I have collected. Most of it is PDF files. I have a few sites that I look to for stuff but most of them have not been updated in forever.

I have posted a few screen shots of the ACAD MAP that we did of the Verse. We are still trying to work out a good grid system

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

I could be enticed. Do you have a few decent scans of the various job types you could email me? That would get me started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sadly, I don't... because my scanner is largely mediocre. Anyone? Anyone?

Let's get Bill what he needs!

I'll take a look online for job card images, which I think are out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here are a few pages with images. Not sure if any are of high enough quality for you:

http://pressxordie.com/2014/02/10/firefly-the-game-starters-...

https://ludimusinlondinio.wordpress.com/2014/11/16/blue-da-b...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1149275/completing-similar-...

http://www.chuck-a-con.net/Serenity.html

For a single template, I think the trickiest parts would be the blue vs brown backgrounds and the "requirements" box, which has at least three configurations I can think of (2 skills across, 3 skills across, and actual text) that comes with variable width.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that should do...give me a couple days, and I'll see if I can get a template together. Does anybody know what that symbol is in the background of all the job cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure what the symbol is. It might be one of the icons from the menus from the DVD set. I know the boardgame designers have used those before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the font for the job titles? That's one I haven't tried to track down before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe it's Cyberpunk Is Not Dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roric Blanton
msg tools
phideaux1 wrote:
I think that should do...give me a couple days, and I'll see if I can get a template together. Does anybody know what that symbol is in the background of all the job cards?

Are you talking about the Crescent moon with the circles in it?

I Drew one of those for a Cortex Screen I was working with. I have it as an AutoCAD .dwg which I could make into a .pdf if you need it.

Also if anyone is interested I have TG Freight Logo, Blue Sun Logo, Alliance Stamp (like the one imprinted into the Food Stuffs) And two Non-Canon companies Red Star (intended as a Blue Sun rival)and Gen-Tech (a Medical research Company)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can we see please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roric Blanton
msg tools
posted some screen shots in my gallery the real ones are much smoother

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've still got a ways to go before it's finished, but here's a taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dertywerd wrote:
phideaux1 wrote:

Are you talking about the Crescent moon with the circles in it?

I Drew one of those for a Cortex Screen I was working with. I have it as an AutoCAD .dwg which I could make into a .pdf if you need it.

Also if anyone is interested I have TG Freight Logo, Blue Sun Logo, Alliance Stamp (like the one imprinted into the Food Stuffs) And two Non-Canon companies Red Star (intended as a Blue Sun rival)and Gen-Tech (a Medical research Company)

Ah, so that's a Cortex logo of sorts? I just wondered what it was. It seemed so specific, but I couldn't remember seeing it in the series or anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
phideaux1 wrote:
I've still got a ways to go before it's finished, but here's a taste.

That's awesome, Bill!

What form will it ultimately be? I'm used to PhotoShop, so I know what I'm hoping the answer is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dertywerd wrote:
posted some screen shots in my gallery the real ones are much smoother

Cool stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.